Siro

cktiger

Re: Siro

Post by cktiger » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 9:23 am

Irvine wrote:
Goose wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Look I don't know how people can make a judgement before he puts a dozen games back to back

But that could be the issue , maybe he will struggle to put a heap of games back to back

It could also be the issue that they are keeping Curtis happy so they don't upset and lose Bailey
It wont have anything to do with Bailey, Bailey is a tough bugger with loads of heart but he is not in the same class as Curtis. Curtis was the first player picked in every under age side (State and national), Bailey is outside those sort of sides and was a fringe inclusion in the Combined catholic side (interestingly beating out Ivan Cleary's young bloke for the back up half gig behind another Croker, all sorts of next generation stuff going on)

His name puts pressure on him, but so does his dominat under age performances, he is still only 21, very young, and given an injury free run will show everyone the talent he has. I have no doubt if he stays fit for a dozen or so games there will be no doubters (except for chronic haters)

It is a double edge sword the famous surname, people always saying it is the only reason you are going places.
Big Deal Farah never made any rep teams..what's that got to do with anything. Cam Smith didn't either. Sirro is in the NRL team because of his name we all know that.
I hope he does become a superstar of the game but he hasn't shown that at NRL level.
Seriously? :roll:

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 9:58 am

I reckon Curtis is the real deal, but lack of games is currently hampering his development.

I would have been happy with him playing more games in State Cup. Minutes under the belt, timing etc etc. It can't hurt. A few more games there and he'd be more capable of being a starting player and having the match fitness to make a better fist of it.

MAFIA

Post by MAFIA » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:08 am

Jury is still out they the club and the media keep talking him up well I ain't seen it yet

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 1:45 pm

I think the guys being negative about Siro's prospects forget he has played 5/8 his whole life and at just 19 he's been moved to the pack. Surely you can realise the transition from the halves to the backrow is a big one to make, especially for a kid. He will be a top line backrower, but he should not be starting there yet
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 1:59 pm

Kid is a gun.....to say it is his name is just poor form.

He was killing it in the loowers and rightly deserves a spot in the first grade side.

TBH i would love to see him play 6,but the powers that be have poo pooed that so second rower it is.

That was his first....top line game since serious injury.....sorry he didnt socre three tries but if u had seen him play NSW cup he was too good for that level. As ar Moses and Koro but thats for another thread,

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 2:23 pm

People are starting to sound like the Benji apologists talking about how him only having played a couple games into his return as justification as to why he shouldn't be criticized. Doesn't matter how many games he's been back this yr, the point is he hasn't shown much of anything in any fg game imo to warrant his reputation. He looked solid the other night, and i hope he builds on it. But to put him in the class of a Tedesco whose played the same amount of games, or Brooks whose played even less is crazy.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 2:47 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:People are starting to sound like the Benji apologists talking about how him only having played a couple games into his return as justification as to why he shouldn't be criticized. Doesn't matter how many games he's been back this yr, the point is he hasn't shown much of anything in any fg game imo to warrant his reputation. He looked solid the other night, and i hope he builds on it. But to put him in the class of a Tedesco whose played the same amount of games, or Brooks whose played even less is crazy.
forwards always take a while to hit their peak. josh jackson didn't show much promise last couple of years but has been killing it this year.

he doesnt exactly have a rep yet but iirc siro and bmm were the starting backrowers for a good part of the end of last season. no one was complaining then. i personally have always been a fan of playing players in the position that they see their future in. siro's long term position is starting on that left edge and unless there is someone better (atm no one has shown more promise than siro), he should stay there.

paterson is the only one who comes close to dislodging him but he's injured.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 5:08 pm

Rite now Sirro is neither fish nor fowl..too slow for the backs,& hasnt filled out sufficiently to have real impact as a forward in the NRL
The concern is that he becomes another Matt Groat who dominated juniors because of his size,but when that disappeared in the NRL,so did he!
And because of his surname,this will less transparent in Sirros situation.ie he'll get cut a lot of slack.
Having said all that,he WILL get bigger,plus having played all his junior footy as a playmaker,he cld quite possibly be something special as a backrower in a year or two.
But presently,based on performances in the NRL,he simply isnt there ..yet.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 5:22 pm

Goose wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Look I don't know how people can make a judgement before he puts a dozen games back to back

But that could be the issue , maybe he will struggle to put a heap of games back to back

It could also be the issue that they are keeping Curtis happy so they don't upset and lose Bailey
It wont have anything to do with Bailey, Bailey is a tough bugger with loads of heart but he is not in the same class as Curtis. Curtis was the first player picked in every under age side (State and national), Bailey is outside those sort of sides and was a fringe inclusion in the Combined catholic side (interestingly beating out Ivan Cleary's young bloke for the back up half gig behind another Croker, all sorts of next generation stuff going on)

His name puts pressure on him, but so does his dominat under age performances, he is still only 21, very young, and given an injury free run will show everyone the talent he has. I have no doubt if he stays fit for a dozen or so games there will be no doubters (except for chronic haters)

It is a double edge sword the famous surname, people always saying it is the only reason you are going places.
Thats funny their old man rated Bailey as a better player than Curtis at the same age when Curtis debuted.
Baileys has also repped NSW partnering Craig Colemans son Liam a couple years back
Curtis is deveoping, a lot of our forwards are...theyre going to start to feel the pinch if not already.....its a tough tough ask

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 5:44 pm

Why would anyone compare Gavet and Tapau to Sironen? They have 3.5 and 4 years on him respectively.

He is incredibly young, and shows a lot of promise for someone he's age. That's why people are excited. Honestly, I don't think Tedesco showed anything jaw droppingly phenomonal until this year, and he's got a year on Sironen in age as well.

Give him some time.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 7:02 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Goose wrote:

Thats funny their old man rated Bailey as a better player than Curtis at the same age when Curtis debuted.
Baileys has also repped NSW partnering Craig Colemans son Liam a couple years back
Curtis is deveoping, a lot of our forwards are...theyre going to start to feel the pinch if not already.....its a tough tough ask
I would be surprised if Bailey plays first grade from what i have seen.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 7:09 pm

The Tigers need to develop a strong wide running 2nd rower. Siro is this type of player. He has the skills, just not a seasoned pro yet. ATM he's at first grade level.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 7:14 pm

Siro will come good .. He just needs more game time . Himself and his father would be mighty embarrassed if young Siro failed to make an impression at NRL level .

We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 7:41 pm

Your son doesnt have to play NRL to be proud of him. I doubt Siro Snr will ever be embarrassed by Curtis' career.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 7:51 pm

gallagher wrote:Your son doesnt have to play NRL to be proud of him. I doubt Siro Snr will ever be embarrassed by Curtis' career.
Disappointed is the word I should have used . He will be a gun I reckon given more time and he'll even end up on a lowes ad !

We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 8:07 pm

Brooks and Siro didnt buckle under constant attack from Burgess, that in itself is a huge compliment to both of them.

Its not as easy to spot the quality of a breakout second rower as say a fullback or half, they dont even get the consistant ball a prop would... Apart from being able to string 80 minute games together at present, he doesnt do a hell of alot wrong, especially at his age. The way I see it, many kids take a while to be able to put consistant solid games when finding their way in the pack, Woods was a freak, SBW as well, but if you think of other world class second rowers like say Lewis and Gallen, Lewis started out wide and progressed inwards a hardened man, when Gallen started he was told he was too small and worked his keister off to make it, but Siro has walked in the door been told he was too big to be a half and took to an alien role like a duck to water. Curtis isnt a second rower by trade, he wasnt just thrown into the deep end, he was dumped into the ocean deep sea and hasnt really missed a beat.

Its scary thinking what lays ahead of him with a good injury free run, and ajdusting his game to incorporate the ballskills he possesses...

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 5:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Goose wrote:

You are correct he did play 16's (forgot about that), Id have to disagree with SIro, I think Curtis is alot better than Bailey.

But the way Bailey plays is easy to admire, he shows soo much heart and is so tough, Im sure that would make a father proud.

That said, I agree with King Siro, Id be surprised if he plays first grade, but think he might just be the guy that keeps on coming and making sides from pure effort and having a massive go.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 6:45 pm

Talent only gets you so far ,hard work ,dedication and sheer drive to succeed often make the difference

Sometimes from what I have seen , that having talent can be a burden as you see blokes who just try to survive on talent alone as they have gotten by on it for so long