What Needs to Be Done

stevied

What Needs to Be Done

Post by stevied » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:19 pm

Clearly the team is stagnating at the moment and needs an infusion of new blood and changed strategy to compete against the good sides. Last week's win against the Knights was a deception. The reality is that they were lucky to win and the performance was typical of their recent mediocre efforts. The defense is generally sound and this was evident during long periods of last nights generally woeful performance. The real problem lies in the bumbling attack. There is no go forward, especially compared to earlier performances. There is also a lack of cohesion in the backs. Luke Brooks is being asked to do too much and, as many members have already pointed out, at least three players are not playing to first grade standard. On top of this, the kicking game is only average at best.The fact is that the team's performance is not going to improve with the current squad. They've been given chances and it's not working. Whether it's to be more penetrative or to build for the future the time is now! This what needs to be done;
1. Put Gavet, Seumanufagai, Sue and Sironen on the bench
2. Pick a starting front row of Tapau, Farah and Woods
3. Drop Anasta, Lawrence and Galloway
4. Pick a real five eighth in Mitch Moses
5. Move Nofoaluma to centre and promote Koroibete
Obviously, there are some risks here, including players in new positions, defensive questions and inexperience but, the team is not going to improve or develop unless these changes are made. Granted first grade is a step up but Brooks and Moses have an outstanding understanding and are creative, Koro is in red hot form and there is an overwhelming need to instill flair. Without a doubt it is time to be bold at the selection table! Do it Potter!

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:26 pm

Hard to argue with any of that.

pacman

Post by pacman » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:54 pm

Agree with it all - Though unfortunately, I don't see it happening :/

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 4:37 pm

you are barking up the wrong tree with Galloway and to a lesser extent Lawrence.

Getting Farah, Woods and Gavet back will solve many of the perceived issues.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 6:07 pm

I forgot one thing. If Sironen goes to the bench, we need another starting second rower. I'd put Pattison in there for his size, mobility and ball playing skills. And Larry Corowa, my reasoning for axing big Keithy is that he dead set jogs the ball back, doesn't bend the line and, in the end, is ineffective. He looks past it. And, regarding Lawrence, I've been one of his biggest fans as player and good bloke, but he doesn't cut it as first grade centre anymore. He has no speed or evasive skills and he can be a liability in defense when asked to move laterally. There's no room for sentiment anymore.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 6:24 pm

stevied wrote:Clearly the team is stagnating at the moment and needs an infusion of new blood and changed strategy to compete against the good sides. Last week's win against the Knights was a deception. The reality is that they were lucky to win and the performance was typical of their recent mediocre efforts. The defense is generally sound and this was evident during long periods of last nights generally woeful performance. The real problem lies in the bumbling attack. There is no go forward, especially compared to earlier performances. There is also a lack of cohesion in the backs. Luke Brooks is being asked to do too much and, as many members have already pointed out, at least three players are not playing to first grade standard. On top of this, the kicking game is only average at best.The fact is that the team's performance is not going to improve with the current squad. They've been given chances and it's not working. Whether it's to be more penetrative or to build for the future the time is now! This what needs to be done;
1. Put Gavet, Seumanufagai, Sue and Sironen on the bench
2. Pick a starting front row of Tapau, Farah and Woods
3. Drop Anasta, Lawrence and Galloway
4. Pick a real five eighth in Mitch Moses
5. Move Nofoaluma to centre and promote Koroibete
Obviously, there are some risks here, including players in new positions, defensive questions and inexperience but, the team is not going to improve or develop unless these changes are made. Granted first grade is a step up but Brooks and Moses have an outstanding understanding and are creative, Koro is in red hot form and there is an overwhelming need to instill flair. Without a doubt it is time to be bold at the selection table! Do it Potter!
Agreed with all of that...just hope the coach can see it too...mpotter@weststigers.com.au

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 6:27 pm

10 runs for 86 metres for Galloway, 14 runs for 109 metres for Tapau. Big Keithy is doing ok he is not the problem out there. Our bench needs to go back to 4 forwards which we dont have now and maybe won't have for awhile. We need to pick Austin,Anasta or Moses and stick with it we can't afford to carry a spare on the bench.

Unfortunately Chris has to have a run in reggies and move Simona to the left and bring Koro up and shift Patty or Nofo to the centres. I would also consider giving Lodge a run v Canberra. None of these things will happen but here's hoping.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 6:36 pm

You can't knock our attack as we do not have any,bar a intercept,a loose ball or some broken field running we have nothing.

We go the same side every time, it's now beyond a joke. Potter now has a mindset of trying not to loose games rather than win them and he is failing badly with really negative and un imaginative tactics.

I hate to say it but Benji offers so much more than Anasta.

Sully

Post by Sully » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 6:49 pm

It is no coincidence that we have had problems getting metres without Gavet. Look at what he did when he came on in the early rounds it was then followed by Tapau and his footwork at the line and we got a roll on. We need Farah and Woods also as they are our leaders.

Let's remember how Melbourne go without Smith, Slater or Cronk.

I thought Siro should be off the bench as he got caught out last night and seems to be only good in short spurts at present.

I agree with the post for changes but would rather Galloway to start as he does set the platform due to his size and he is better than Ava in my opinion. Tapau is great coming on a causing chaos when they tire.

Lawrence and Anasta need to be replaced and Korobete in the wing to get some points.

Moses needs a shot and played full back in NYC last night so he adds versatility like Austin

We are still a young side. and whilst I hate to lose we are getting better and I loving the effort and simply mistakes are killing us, I would understand if the simply mistakes were coming from the younger guys but they are from Lawrence and Anasta who should be teaching the young guys.

Potter needs to make the tough calls now!

BunniesMan

Post by BunniesMan » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 7:53 pm

Are you guys always this dramatic or only after loosing to the bunnies ?

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

willow

Post by willow » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 8:35 pm

BunniesMan wrote:Are you guys always this dramatic or only after loosing to the bunnies ?

No, it's generally like this around here after a loss. Stevied makes some valid points though, with Anasta at 6 our right side attack is non-existent, which makes our left side attack very predictable as last night showed.

Nothing flash about the way you guys beat us last night, hit straight up the guts with your big guys, dominate possession through our simple mistakes and the points will gradually come, as they did.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 8:51 pm

BunniesMan wrote:Are you guys always this dramatic or only after loosing to the bunnies ?

If you read the rest of the forum, we have been saying this for weeks. Potter just doesn't change anything. Anyone knows that a light bench vs souths is stupid.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 9:40 pm

Moses with Brooks will concede a VERY high number of tries... Mitch couldnt possibly be over 83-85kg, he looked very skinny when i saw him last a couple of weeks ago.

Galloway will most definitely not get dropped, a laughable proposition imo.

Nofo probably wont be moved to centre either. Lawrence and Anasta are concerns though... but i dont think koro and moses will help beccause our defence (which isnt amazing right now) will get every worse.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 9:57 pm

The stupid thing is BM that we looked the better side when we played well for the small periods during the game

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 10:08 pm

The annoying thing is that it's our senior players that killed us.
We're a young team - the expectation this year was that the kids would fade in and out of games and be inconsistent. Quite happy to accept that - but our senior players have a role to play in providing some level of stability.
Unfortunately anasta only provides a stable level of complete incompetence, Lawry goes from competent to ordinary - & tonight was his worst game in a while & Blair also had his worst game in some time with dumb penalties.
& anasta & Lawry have been doing it all season - that's why there's a bit of angst around atm BM.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 10:38 pm

For God's sake - what is a Souffs supporter doing on here?
Is this the end of life as we know it?

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:13 pm

I think this is the biggest ovrr reaction I've read.
Lawrence was terrible in this game, but despite becoming a pariah on this forum is having a good season.
Galloway is a seasoned pro doing a reasonable if not flashy job.
Anasta is not offering much and an argument for this is valid.
Noffa skill set is clearly best suited for wing.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:31 pm

Lawrence and Galloway will be praying Blair ties a few bad ones together and Moltzen is back soon so people can go to the usual whipping boys (plus Anasta) :lol: