Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: Official Team Annuonced

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 10:58 am

Masterton wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Anasta will be there all year bar injury...rightly or wrongly

This crap about '''after Origin''' makes no sense to me
It's easy to see the rationalisation. No point dropping Anasta, only to pick him again when Austin has to help Luani at hooker.

Agree with the theory or not (I don't), Potter has shown a commitment to keeping the team stable. If he does drop gone Anasta, that might be the last we see of him.
yeh agree

Its a lot easier to work on what isnt working well when the same players are involved without unforced changes

Changing the squad doesnt automatically mean the areas - whatever they may be - that need work are rectified, it just makes it more difficult

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 11:20 am

pHyR3 wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
DonnyBrasco wrote:Anasta is easy to bash and yes his form hasn't been there, but do we think potter is a blind man who can't see this? If this is the best thing for the future of Luke Brooks for the next ten years then so be it, you need to have a plan for the future not just next week.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
By pairing him with halves partner who is non-existent in both attack and defence? How is that healthy for his development. The bloke is useless. May as well have a brick out there with a #6 painted on it.
so what youre saying is that unless someone can lead by example, they are useless at teaching young halves.

wonder why we need coaches then....

i'm going to take the high praise of Robbie Farah and Luke Brooks over the past few months as well as continual selection by the coach to mean he IS very influential in his talk on the field over people on forums and facebook bagging him.

Although I wouldnt mind an Austin Brooks pairing with Moses on the bench (if he's physically ready which i dont know) haha
His "experience" and "leadership" has been exemplary when Farah has been out too hasn't it? When did his experience and leadership come to the fore then when we were getting pansted by the Titans or Souths? What does Brooks get out of him? Apart from learning how to hoist two or three completely ineffective mid-field bombs per game and shut your whole right side out of the attack I'd say he's picked up sweet FA from him. If the intention was for Brooks to learn how to direct a side without any support from his halves partner it's been a resounding success.

He is non-existent in with the pill, virtually non-existent in defence, allegedly undermines the club he plays for and can't lead the side when he's handed the captaincy. The only game we've won this year under his stewardship was the Parra game where Sandow left his kicking boots at home.

He offers nothing to this team.

As much as I hate Easts, they had the foresight to see they were essentially playing with 12 men on the pitch whenever he was selected and subsequently turfed him. I'm not one for wholesale changes either, but we will see instantaneous improvement when we give him the hook or he retires (the latter looking like the more likely.)
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 11:35 am

Glennb wrote: If you cant see the many positives and they don't outweigh the perceived negatives, then you don't understand this team.
Re Anasta; most fans on here can probably name more negatives than positives. Even you yourself in your later post said that you wouldn't pick Anasta. The jury still seems to be out re Rowdy.
Glennb wrote: Balmain Boy you clearly don't understand the word "faith".
While I am totally behind Potter, I also understand that is absolutely reasonable for fans to question a new coach's decisions re under-performing players.

If we had won numerous premierships under Potter then he probably would have earned not only your blind faith but all of our blind faith. But that this stage it's way too early for that, so I think you owe it to yourself as a self-respecting fan to probably be more skeptical until your faith is not only warranted but anchored in something concrete - like a winning culture.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 2:39 pm

TheDen wrote:No surprises with the team named. Gavet obviously still out injured & assuming they are giving Halatau another week off to recover from the concussion.

Like Ink said Anasta will be there all year but if we're going to name a back on the bench it should have been Moses (Nothing against Austin as he hasn't put a foot wrong)

Would have been the perfect opportunity to inject Moses against the Raiders. When Gavet is available as others have stated we need to go back to a bench of Sue, Taupau, Semanufagai & Gavet.

A spine of Tedesco, Moses, Brooks and Farah is what we need. Make it happen before the finals are out of sight Potter.
Moses Later, He is not needed now and its not his time just yet.

Anasta is doing his job of steadying the ship for Brooks. Relax, he will be retiring soon.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 3:30 pm

turnstyle wrote:
DonnyBrasco wrote:Anasta is easy to bash and yes his form hasn't been there, but do we think potter is a blind man who can't see this? If this is the best thing for the future of Luke Brooks for the next ten years then so be it, you need to have a plan for the future not just next week.

Yeh I'm with you DB. I really think potter knows what he is doing.
And for some reason I don't even think Anasta is that bad! I still think he must be doing what he has been told to do for the team, otherwise he wouldn't keep getting

As for the 'no drop' clause: not sure if that was even a serious question?! That would be ridiculous...
The 'no drop ' clause was'nt a question but a thought. As far fetched as it might seem ,I think alot of 'ridiculous' demands are made by player managers behind closed doors during contract negotiations. Nothing would surprise me as it was Sheens signing. Need i say more....

NT Tiger
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 3:34 pm

CB quote re Anasta; "He offers nothing to this team." I have to disagree CB. He offers imagination. Imagine what Tigers would be like with a competent 5/8.

Per pHyR3 above, I've seen and heard Farah and Brooks expressing support for Anasta but I can't see what it's for. Whatever it is, it must be good. By my thinking he would have taken up the slack, guiding the team while Farah was injured and doing Origin duty. I didn't see any evidence of that. Baffled.
"Quality Stupidity"

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 4:53 pm

You'd have to think dropping a high profile, ex rep, current media personality player would not be good for prospective future sponsors...and even current ones....maybe thats where the reluctance comes from

I dunno...Im as baffled as everyone else

Pick & stick

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 5:40 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

By pairing him with halves partner who is non-existent in both attack and defence? How is that healthy for his development. The bloke is useless. May as well have a brick out there with a #6 painted on it.
so what youre saying is that unless someone can lead by example, they are useless at teaching young halves.

wonder why we need coaches then....

i'm going to take the high praise of Robbie Farah and Luke Brooks over the past few months as well as continual selection by the coach to mean he IS very influential in his talk on the field over people on forums and facebook bagging him.

Although I wouldnt mind an Austin Brooks pairing with Moses on the bench (if he's physically ready which i dont know) haha
His "experience" and "leadership" has been exemplary when Farah has been out too hasn't it? When did his experience and leadership come to the fore then when we were getting pansted by the Titans or Souths? What does Brooks get out of him? Apart from learning how to hoist two or three completely ineffective mid-field bombs per game and shut your whole right side out of the attack I'd say he's picked up sweet FA from him. If the intention was for Brooks to learn how to direct a side without any support from his halves partner it's been a resounding success.

He is non-existent in with the pill, virtually non-existent in defence, allegedly undermines the club he plays for and can't lead the side when he's handed the captaincy. The only game we've won this year under his stewardship was the Parra game where Sandow left his kicking boots at home.

He offers nothing to this team.

As much as I hate Easts, they had the foresight to see they were essentially playing with 12 men on the pitch whenever he was selected and subsequently turfed him. I'm not one for wholesale changes either, but we will see instantaneous improvement when we give him the hook or he retires (the latter looking like the more likely.)
Well said Cultured Bogan,i agree with you 100 per cent.Great post :)

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 5:43 pm

Yea i agree that he should probably be dropped, i'm just trying to play devil's advocate.

Apparently his talk is extremely valuable :/
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 5:54 pm

A world of good that letter did eh?

DonnyBrasco

Unread post by DonnyBrasco » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 8:54 pm

It's not for form which is obvious, so unless someone asked potter and he said why, all we can be is lounge chair critics. I have a man crush on Austin, but if it's not best for the team then so be it.
Potter has to live and die by his selections, he doesn't have the Teflon sheens coating, so if why on earth would he try to sabotage his future?

Tigers for 2022!

happy tiger
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 10:45 pm

CB there is probably a reason Anasta doesn't seem like he is doing anything

Think back a few weeks when either Potter or Anasta said they Brooks takes over from tackle 4

Usually what position of the field are you in when you start your set ??

I'd say 80-90 % of the time you are starting a set between your own 15-30 metre line trying to get some field position to set for a kick

So would it be correct to assume that in that situation if you are playing structured footy you are hitting up from dummy half or one out with your backs doing some grunt work for the first few tackles ??

So by the time we get to tackle 4 Anasta might if he was lucky touch the ball once

Maybe Anasta is solely there to help us have controlled sets where we aren't trying to play side to side to get into field position (taking big risks ) and keep us in the grind and have high completion rates ??

Maybe Anasta is doing exactly what Potter wants him to do ??

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 8:21 am

Well, there it is - the team I predicted, not the one I suggested. One that is conservative and unimaginative and one that will not help us compete against the stronger sides when things get serious at the end of the season. I agree with the notion of putting a wise, experienced head next to a rookie but this is only if the wise head is contributing, taking a load off and leading by example. None of this is happening which is why Anasta should be dropped. At the very least, Moses should have replaced him. While several changes to a team can be disruptive, dropping Anasta, Lawrence and Galloway would have sent a message. Fine could have been tried at centre and Tapau promoted to the starting side to provide much needed go forward. As I said before big Keithy only trudges the ball up and doesn't bend the line or play the ball quickly while Marty does. What better time to experiment than against a weak Canberra side? Also, are people really convinced that Austin has the ability to set up the play as a good five eighth should? He appears to be more of a runner. As inexperienced as he is, Moses would most likely be a better option when passing, kicking or running quickly. I agree that Simona and Nofualuma are being starved of opportunities.

NT Tiger
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 8:39 am

I back Potter in his approach to Tigers direction and development so, sitting here on the sidelines, I have to accept he is choosing Anasta for good reasons. I just can't see any apparent results on the paddock. Happy's on field assessment makes sense and is probably as close to an explanation as I'll get, and per Ink, I can see that dropping Anasta so soon after losing Marshall could impact on sponsorships. As an armchair expert and shouter at inanimate objects (televisions) I find that Anasta's name has replaced Marshall's when I'm cheering the team forward.
"Quality Stupidity"

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 9:10 am

happy tiger wrote:CB there is probably a reason Anasta doesn't seem like he is doing anything

Think back a few weeks when either Potter or Anasta said they Brooks takes over from tackle 4

Usually what position of the field are you in when you start your set ??

I'd say 80-90 % of the time you are starting a set between your own 15-30 metre line trying to get some field position to set for a kick

So would it be correct to assume that in that situation if you are playing structured footy you are hitting up from dummy half or one out with your backs doing some grunt work for the first few tackles ??

So by the time we get to tackle 4 Anasta might if he was lucky touch the ball once

Maybe Anasta is solely there to help us have controlled sets where we aren't trying to play side to side to get into field position (taking big risks ) and keep us in the grind and have high completion rates ??

Maybe Anasta is doing exactly what Potter wants him to do ??
There is a reason why he seems like he's doing nothing Happy. He IS doing nothing!

I appreciate your explanation and it would make sense except that the ball is being moved wide to the left early in the tackle count as evidenced by Lawrence being bundled out over the sideline about a dozen times on the first/second tackle this year. He doesn't go looking for it and when he does have it, there's no intent.

Re: high completion game, he adds nothing to this either. When was the last game he regularly kicked for field position? By this logic, he is out there to whisper in Brooks ear for 80 mins! Don't we have trainers running water for three-quarters of the game who could do the same thing without taking up a jersey number and for half the salary? Stick Skando in the #6 and get him to do the same thing, at least he's good for a dozen hit-ups and two dozen tackles which is about three times better output than Anasta.
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 9:58 am

stevied wrote:Well, there it is - the team I predicted, not the one I suggested. One that is conservative and unimaginative and one that will not help us compete against the stronger sides when things get serious at the end of the season.
Unable to compete with the better teams but somehow thrashed the titans by 30+, hammered Souths and the Eagles too?
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 10:37 am

I said when things get serious pHyR3. The Titans didn't turn up and Souths were not playing like they are now.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 11:10 am

So you mean during finals?

i dont see that as super important this year, making the 8 is good enough for me. I dont expect us to make the GF or anything.

still a lot of improvement left over the next couple of years

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Canberra Raiders”