Austin at fullback and a smile from Potter

Cosimo_Zaretti

Austin at fullback and a smile from Potter

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 3:12 pm

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... nd_16.html

See above press conference ^^ Mick Potter is usually as animated as an undertaker but when asked about our fullback situation at the after the Raiders game he said "I didn't think the bloke who played 79 odd minutes for us did too badly. He was pretty tidy wasn't he?"
And then there was that rare cheeky little smile from the old fullback. He's been trying to fit Blake Austin into the side all year, and Austin has been struggling for 80 minute consistency in his game. On Saturday night he was thrown into an unfamiliar position and looked the goods. It takes a lot to break through Potter's poker face.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2014 ... _team.html
Then in yesterday's teamlist preview, Potter actually smiled again when speaking about Austin at fullback. That's as good a vote of confidence as a young bloke can get. I doubt Mick's missus get's two smiles out of him in the space of a week.

I hope Blake has a blinder in the number 1 in front of a home crowd. He's just been given a license to go nuts on every kick return, and we already know how dangerous he is out of dummy half. I'll be on the hill in my Tiger suit, and I'm taking my girlfriend's mum to her first Leichardt game, so we have to win. It's science.

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 3:19 pm

this is not a good move he will be found out vs good halfs
hes not a fullback this is such a sheens like move and i thought we were done with this kind of thinking

Justo

Post by Justo » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 4:00 pm

Austin may get found out, then again, he may be just as good as he was last week, or he may even be better. History tells us he knows what he's doing. Albeit a short history. There's no doubt he has a good footy brain and has more commitment than a lot of players. I see a bit of Josh Reynolds in his approach to the game.

If anyone is qualified to make a call on a fullback it's Potts. I like Austin, and really hope he grabs the spot by the horns and puts egg on a lot of us doubters. And if he doesnt, and fails miserably, then it's probably no worst off than any other player we had to chose from. Moses included.

And as Cosimo_Zaretti clearly stated. It's science be-atches!

Milky

Post by Milky » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 4:42 pm

Michael Morgan, nuff said.

tig4ever

Post by tig4ever » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:06 pm

I love Austin's attitude but he can only dream of having Moses' ability in my humble opinion.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:28 pm

tig4ever wrote:I love Austin's attitude but he can only dream of having Moses' ability in my humble opinion.
I don't know whether he has Moses' ability but he certainly has the right confidence and heart.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:29 pm

Justo wrote:Austin may get found out, then again, he may be just as good as he was last week, or he may even be better. History tells us he knows what he's doing. Albeit a short history. There's no doubt he has a good footy brain and has more commitment than a lot of players. I see a bit of Josh Reynolds in his approach to the game.

If anyone is qualified to make a call on a fullback it's Potts. I like Austin, and really hope he grabs the spot by the horns and puts egg on a lot of us doubters. And if he doesnt, and fails miserably, then it's probably no worst off than any other player we had to chose from. Moses included.

And as Cosimo_Zaretti clearly stated. It's science be-atches!

I'm prepared to wait and see how Austin goes before I judge.

Bones

Post by Bones » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:45 pm

Newtown wrote:
tig4ever wrote:I love Austin's attitude but he can only dream of having Moses' ability in my humble opinion.
I don't know whether he has Moses' ability but he certainly has the right confidence and heart.
I have seen blokes with more ability fail, and some with less succeed.

I'm prepared to go with Potters choice at this stage and I also think Austin has earned the chance.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:52 pm

Potter might just have a poor poker face too...

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah I think the coach may know a thing or two about what it takes to make a good fullback, so I'm not gonna criticise the selection. I am happy for Austin - hope he kills it and makes the position his own for the rest of the season.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Nors05

Post by Nors05 » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 7:29 pm

If he kills it then we have an answer to the Tedesco injury problem and will still have a chance at finals.

If he fails miserably then we will be back to where we would have been if he didn't get picked anyway.

It's a calculated move and based on his performance in Canberra it is the logical choice

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 7:45 pm

Hope Austin kills it. He's been asked to do so many different roles this year and just throws himself at it. He not afraid and won't die wondering. That sort of attitude is infectious. Great team man - Just like Beau Ryan was for us.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

LCA

Post by LCA » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 7:54 pm

It's a big call on Potter's behalf. I hope it works out. I would have preferred Pat Richards at fullback and keep Austin to come off the bench as a sub for Luani. Promote an outside back to fill the Richards' spot. Just an opinion but I am not sold on Austin at fullback.

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 8:04 pm

I would have liked to see Jy get a run, but Moses would likely get bashed and there even though there is no question about his heart and character, why send him to the wolves.
Windsor wolves a different story ;)

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Tigers for 2022!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 8:08 pm

Richards is too tall and awkward for fullback as proven when he had trouble fielding a low kicks as fullback against Warriors earlier this year.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 8:09 pm

Its not a big call on Potters behalf his top 3 choices at fullback aren't available - Tedesco, Rowe and Simona. We have no full time fullback available. Therefor he had to manufacture one. He has consistently shown he doesen't want to move players around unessecarily and combine that with Richards never having played fullback and Nofo not for a few yrs and never in adult competition. Austin did the job last week without preperation this week he has a fiullback who won 2 dally m medals to teach him for a week and a week of practice to prepare

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 8:13 pm

The smile may well be because according to NRL360 Mosses could well be a late inclusion into the side. :)

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 8:19 pm

you can have Tedesco @ fullback but with Luani @ hooker it means jack. For example what's wrong with Halatau at 9? & i don't want to begin on as to why.
One thing i can tell you for sure is that Potter is no hooker.
A hooker thinks more than a fullback throughout the match - Im talking headspace - Halatau has it.
Where is the logic in this.
Any takers?

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"