Happy / sad

jirskyr

Happy / sad

Post by jirskyr » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 11:50 pm

HAPPY
1. Lodge and Moses solid debuts. Moses has a lot of work to do but he has the fundamentals right, just needs more time and exposure, preferably in one position. Lodge looked very competent, but I did see the same in Nathan Brown last year and he's not been sighted since.

2. Austin puts in again. I know the guy has some crinkles to iron out of his game, but we put him at hooker, 5/8th, FB and expect magic. Invariably he is one of the few to consistently threaten the line when we are struggling for points. I think he is potentially such a talent, he just needs a consistent run in one position.

3. re #2 - I hold no ill-will for Anasta, but the guy is an obstacle because I feel Potter won't drop him this year. The injury today will force his hand for another few weeks - we need to remember that until Anasta got suspended Austin had not been given a run at all, and now he gets named most weeks.

4. Nofo - back to strong ball-carries and alleviating pressure on the forwards, good lad.

5. Marty Taupau had some really strong carries and was probably our most effective forward for hitups, esp that kickoff return.

6. Got a soft spot for Ava too, I think he is just that guy to do his job and not take up too much salary cap, bumped off quite a few players in his runs.

7. Depth (except the centres) - maybe not 2014, but 2015-16. We've got some fresh talent and I'm struggling to guess how Potter is going to put all the pieces together. The ingredients are all there, we just need to perfect the recipe and keep troops on the field. I just imagine 2015 spine with Tedesco, Moses, Brooks, Farah and Austin at 14, then forward rotation including Woods, Taupau, Gavet, Ava, Sitaleki, KG, Lodge, Jesse Sue, Hammer Halatau, Bodene, Blair, Thompson.

8. Woods and Farah back next week, I guarantee you will see an improved display next week.

SAD
1. Defence - the shambles today. We were consistently caught flat-footed and allowed Penrith to run across the line and probe for holes, of which there were many. Penrith had a simple game plan - direct traffic in behind the ruck and then spin it wide once we compressed. We almost never adjusted.

2. You cannot afford to have a left-side defensive edge of Siro, Brooks, Rowdy, Patty. They are too indecisive and too slow to adjust. Rowdy is really struggling, no doubt, but defending outside Siro and Brooks is like defending outside Benji, you can't trust them to take the inside man. I wonder if Rowdy spent the entire game staying on Whare only, if we would have been cut up 3 or 4-in, like Papalii did last week.

3. Tempo - too rushed today. We came out of the blocks like madmen both halves, defended hard, but could not keep it up. Footy isn't won with a few periods of quality, it is won by 80 x 1 minute of execution.

4. re #3 - rushed attack too often when we got close to their line. E.g. Lawrence bats the ball on regardless, Siro offloads in bad position, Moses drills Lawrence with an impossible pass, Austin goes into touch, several useless mid-field bombs. This team needs to move past the Benji Marshall style where we try to score every touch. Brooks can be as guilty as anyone, this is about the 3rd or 4th game where he's beautifully set up a period of 3-4 repeat sets and then decided follow up with unstructured, poorly thought-out play. At times he seems to forget that he is the halfback.

5. Patty Richard's low hands. I love the dude, but clearly he's not much chop with a low awkward ball.

6. Lawrence no-look pass. There's enough criticism in other threads, I would like to request he at least looks at Richards before he tips off. Opposition centres just rush Lawrence and he offloads without checking the positioning of his winger. Let's be honest here, Richards is a little short of pace and makes up for it by pressing forward in the backline, he's not 5 metres behind play ready to burst onto a pass. If you bat the ball to him, he's gonna be 1-2 m past the ball, you need to put it on his chest.

7. Luani at hooker - lasted, what, 20 mins? Time to do away with the experiment, it will be someone else like Cherrington stepping up next time. Did put a lovely hit on Idris though.

8. We lack centre options. I'm not adverse to dropping Lawrence, though I do think he saves his worst for when we play poorly; he almost bagged a try and was heavily involved in the last one. But to drop him when the backline is already so youthful, what options do we really have? If one of the NSW Cup guys gets a run, it's at the expense of Lulia first, that guy is a shadow even compared to Lawrence. As long as Simona is out, Lawrence stays in.

9. Siro does not wind up often enough on his runs. That's really it, I think he's already quite a threat and just needs more momentum in his runs, because he was one of the few to dent the Penrith line today.

10. Re #8 I don't get the hate today for young Siro, I think he is an emerging talent but certainly has lots to work on. Backrowers don't typically become world-beaters, you seriously show me another elite-level backrower who is 20 years old. Bird is 29, Thaiday 29, Parker 32, Gillett 25, McQueen is 26, Te'o 27, Beau Scott 30, Hoffman 32, Gallen 32. The only one I could think of quickly is Boyd Cordner who is 22. Even Taumalolo, who has plenty of flaws in his game, is 21 years old.

11. That try that Idris scored, annoyed me more than anything. The guy is huge, but he's also slow and fat, you can see him coming a mile away. Why Lulia decided to come in on Peachey, when Austin and Bodene already both had him covered, leaving Idris a 5m corridor to drive his bus-like frame through... I will never know. After lampooning our left side defence for 50+ minutes, the right side goes and does exactly the same. Hard to call someone out when they are all doing it.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 12:11 am

jirskyr wrote:HAPPY
1. Lodge and Moses solid debuts. Moses has a lot of work to do but he has the fundamentals right, just needs more time and exposure, preferably in one position. Lodge looked very competent, but I did see the same in Nathan Brown last year and he's not been sighted since.

2. Austin puts in again. I know the guy has some crinkles to iron out of his game, but we put him at hooker, 5/8th, FB and expect magic. Invariably he is one of the few to consistently threaten the line when we are struggling for points. I think he is potentially such a talent, he just needs a consistent run in one position.

3. re #2 - I hold no ill-will for Anasta, but the guy is an obstacle because I feel Potter won't drop him this year. The injury today will force his hand for another few weeks - we need to remember that until Anasta got suspended Austin had not been given a run at all, and now he gets named most weeks.

4. Nofo - back to strong ball-carries and alleviating pressure on the forwards, good lad.

5. Marty Taupau had some really strong carries and was probably our most effective forward for hitups, esp that kickoff return.

6. Got a soft spot for Ava too, I think he is just that guy to do his job and not take up too much salary cap, bumped off quite a few players in his runs.

7. Depth (except the centres) - maybe not 2014, but 2015-16. We've got some fresh talent and I'm struggling to guess how Potter is going to put all the pieces together. The ingredients are all there, we just need to perfect the recipe and keep troops on the field. I just imagine 2015 spine with Tedesco, Moses, Brooks, Farah and Austin at 14, then forward rotation including Woods, Taupau, Gavet, Ava, Sitaleki, KG, Lodge, Jesse Sue, Hammer Halatau, Bodene, Blair, Thompson.

8. Woods and Farah back next week, I guarantee you will see an improved display next week.

SAD
1. Defence - the shambles today. We were consistently caught flat-footed and allowed Penrith to run across the line and probe for holes, of which there were many. Penrith had a simple game plan - direct traffic in behind the ruck and then spin it wide once we compressed. We almost never adjusted.

2. You cannot afford to have a left-side defensive edge of Siro, Brooks, Rowdy, Patty. They are too indecisive and too slow to adjust. Rowdy is really struggling, no doubt, but defending outside Siro and Brooks is like defending outside Benji, you can't trust them to take the inside man. I wonder if Rowdy spent the entire game staying on Whare only, if we would have been cut up 3 or 4-in, like Papalii did last week.

3. Tempo - too rushed today. We came out of the blocks like madmen both halves, defended hard, but could not keep it up. Footy isn't won with a few periods of quality, it is won by 80 x 1 minute of execution.

4. re #3 - rushed attack too often when we got close to their line. E.g. Lawrence bats the ball on regardless, Siro offloads in bad position, Moses drills Lawrence with an impossible pass, Austin goes into touch, several useless mid-field bombs. This team needs to move past the Benji Marshall style where we try to score every touch. Brooks can be as guilty as anyone, this is about the 3rd or 4th game where he's beautifully set up a period of 3-4 repeat sets and then decided follow up with unstructured, poorly thought-out play. At times he seems to forget that he is the halfback.

5. Patty Richard's low hands. I love the dude, but clearly he's not much chop with a low awkward ball.

6. Lawrence no-look pass. There's enough criticism in other threads, I would like to request he at least looks at Richards before he tips off. Opposition centres just rush Lawrence and he offloads without checking the positioning of his winger. Let's be honest here, Richards is a little short of pace and makes up for it by pressing forward in the backline, he's not 5 metres behind play ready to burst onto a pass. If you bat the ball to him, he's gonna be 1-2 m past the ball, you need to put it on his chest.

7. Luani at hooker - lasted, what, 20 mins? Time to do away with the experiment, it will be someone else like Cherrington stepping up next time. Did put a lovely hit on Idris though.

8. We lack centre options. I'm not adverse to dropping Lawrence, though I do think he saves his worst for when we play poorly; he almost bagged a try and was heavily involved in the last one. But to drop him when the backline is already so youthful, what options do we really have? If one of the NSW Cup guys gets a run, it's at the expense of Lulia first, that guy is a shadow even compared to Lawrence. As long as Simona is out, Lawrence stays in.

9. Siro does not wind up often enough on his runs. That's really it, I think he's already quite a threat and just needs more momentum in his runs, because he was one of the few to dent the Penrith line today.

10. Re #8 I don't get the hate today for young Siro, I think he is an emerging talent but certainly has lots to work on. Backrowers don't typically become world-beaters, you seriously show me another elite-level backrower who is 20 years old. Bird is 29, Thaiday 29, Parker 32, Gillett 25, McQueen is 26, Te'o 27, Beau Scott 30, Hoffman 32, Gallen 32. The only one I could think of quickly is Boyd Cordner who is 22. Even Taumalolo, who has plenty of flaws in his game, is 21 years old.

11. That try that Idris scored, annoyed me more than anything. The guy is huge, but he's also slow and fat, you can see him coming a mile away. Why Lulia decided to come in on Peachey, when Austin and Bodene already both had him covered, leaving Idris a 5m corridor to drive his bus-like frame through... I will never know. After lampooning our left side defence for 50+ minutes, the right side goes and does exactly the same. Hard to call someone out when they are all doing it.
Hard to argue against this post... As Moses says 100% agree...

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 1:08 am

Sad

1 Our middle third defence was soft You can't blame the bloke outside as they are having to compress all the bloody time The one way we could of won today and we produce that

2 Sironen needs to go back to the bench as an impact player , his defence lets him down A second rower should have far more dominant tackles

3 Second half kicking game was bad

4 Brooks and Austin need to calm down , we need their enthusiasm but too often they over play too many plays Simple Simple Simple

5 Luani After today he needs to be let go If only Austin could defend like Luani or Luani had his running skills

6 I would of rather seen us get penalized off the park and slow the ruck down than get dominated like that

7 Basically we saw what happens when you throw a team together in a week , we looked disorganized in defence and attack and it cost us big time

8 Lulia I said at the time he would be a bad buy and he is Worst buy of any club player wise

Good

1 Lodge Worked his butt off , needs to work on learning on being more dominant in defence

2 Moses Solid debut

3 Even though Lawrence hands let him down he found some space

4 Blair His stats must look OK , he seemed to be everywhere

5 Taupau good with the ball in hand

Overall very disappointing from a team that had so much to play for today I'm not sure where we go after today

But one things for sure , we need to get on the market for a centre now

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 8:52 am

Nice summation .

everett

Post by everett » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 8:55 am

Happy

We beat Souths, Manly and Cowboys and unearthed some promising juniors which the club has secured their services for the next couple of years.

Bad

Lawrence, Anasta and lack of depth in centre and hooking position.

We need to go all out on the players market for a centre and try and move Lawrence on to England.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Post by 2041 » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 9:12 am

Good summary. Re Luani, perhaps someone who was watching at home could confirm that he didn't come back on? Because it certainly looked to us like he got hooked after the dummy half try, and one would have to assume that if so that's his time with the Tigers in first grade done. With Farah back my guess would be they'll go with Halatau/Austin if they need a backup at any stage, even if - lord help us - Farah gets injured.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 9:47 am

Other than Brooks' performance and the debuts of Lodge and Moses, the thing that impressed me the most was that the team was still scrambling in defence in the final minutes despite the match result being in no doubt.

16 point loss - not a bad effort from a team of kids without their club captain against the team runing 1st. Thankfully, the SOO impact has now finished and the next 2 months will give us a great insight into the actual improvement from last season.

Hopefully Potter now reverts to 4 forwards on the bench (including Halatau).

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 10:54 am

There was a couple of times when Brooks and Moses linked up and we looked ridiculously sharp and the crowd went OOOOOOOOH!

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 11:25 am

simonthetiger wrote:There was a couple of times when Brooks and Moses linked up and we looked ridiculously sharp and the crowd went OOOOOOOOH!
No doubt, there were some flashes of brilliance.

If Potter goes back to the 4 forwards on the bench, those kids will have a ball for the final 9 matches.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 5:29 pm

The future looks bright.

At the beginning of the year, people thought we would run near last. We have been around the semies all year, and we are still a chance to make it.

We have such a young developing side, we can not win without our best players, woods and Farah.

We have loads of young players, who make more mistakes than you would like, leads to inconsistency.

I think we have had a very positive year overall.

I think over the next few weeks we will ahve all of Brooks, Moses and Austin playing. This is going to see all sorts of brillance and all sorts of errors, but we will be getting important games into all of them.

On the weekend we got belted in the middle. We missed Woods and Farah immensely. Ava is not a good defender, a bit slow, and Luani and Austin, cant do what Robbie does in defence either.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 07 Jul, 2014 6:43 pm

Glad someone else is seeing this