Player by player assessment

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Player by player assessment

Unread post by MacDougall » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:24 pm

1. Mitch Moses - Tried hard. No glaring errors but made few inroads other than the nice try he set up for Nofoaluma. He looks heaps like Moltzen out there and the huge cut out to Nofoaluma was so Moltzenesque (fortunately Noffa made a line break). Rowe back in as soon as he's fit imo. 6/10

2. David Nofoaluma - Great performance. A try and a robbery. Austin back into six and the right side is opened up again. He also came in and got more involved. He's REALLY good. I really think he'd make a fist of fullback too. Unbelievably hard to tackle and a great finisher. I still don't think he's strung too many NRL games together uninjured either as he was injured most of last year and has been most of this year too. 8/10

3. Keith Lulia - Moved to wing and as a result was solid but unspectacular. Finished a really easy try, took a nice bomb and didn't do much wrong. Docked a point for defensive misreads. 5/10

4. Chris Lawrence - Best game in a while. I think his speed is coming back tbh, he started bumping people off again. His hands are a worry and his combination with Brooks is not working too well. Docked a point for defensive misreads. 6/10

5. Pat Richards - Didn't do enough to warrant a mention before going off injured. N/A

6. Blake Austin - Awesome game from him. Lots of great defensive efforts, a great line break and a few nice kicks. He's quality and Moses would want to have to do a lot to get ahead of Austin in the pecking order. 8/10

7. Luke Brooks - Continues to show a lot but still hasn't really blown a game apart. He hasn't been a large contributor to a win for us since his debut. He still hasn't put in a game as good as his debut. A few nice kicks and passes but he does take the wrong option a lot. I guess he tries things that worked in juniors that gets closed up on in NRL and needs to find his NRL plays, because no doubt he has the skill. His defense is really bad though. 5/10

8. Aaron Woods - Made a few errors. He seems to have become a bit ... cocky? He's still huge and hard to put down and getting his arms free but I dunno about his personality of late. 7/10

9. Robbie Farah - Nearly got away a few times on runs and was good defensively. Made a nice kick. 47 tackles with 1 miss tonight. He was Farah. 8/10

10. Keith Galloway - Actually saw him hit the line with a bit of speed at one point. Dented the line and got through some work. 6/10

11. Curtis Sironen - Started slowly but his involvement increased. Didn't do much with his carries. He's not at the level I'd have thought he'd be by now. Contributed to a lot of our defensive frailties too. 5/10

12. Dene Halatau - Was quiet at centre, looks about on the level of Thompson though with runs and ability. He looked better as a dummy half last week. Was defensively poor at centre. 5/10

13. Adam Blair - He is running a lot harder now and that's good. His involvement was okay. Average game from him. 6/10

14. Martin Taupau - When he and the rest of the bash bench are involved in a game when the momentum favours us and the pill sticks we're gonna decimate somebody I fancy. Gavet's return sparked something in Taupau we hadn't seen since he was gone. They need each other. Was butterfingers but his carries unreal. 7/10

15. James Gavet - Seems to be prone to a brain explosion this guy. Love the aggression. He looks like he hurts when he touches you. Ran real hard and tackled hard and influenced the rest of the forwards when he was on the field too. 7/10

16. Ava Seumanufagai - Continues to be the quiet achiever in the pack this guy. Made a lot of carries and made close to ten metres every time. In the off season he needs to work on something to take him to the next level like an offload or some late footwork because he's got the makings of a cornerstone prop. I hope we keep him. 7/10

18. Sauaso Sue - Like Taupau seemed inspired by Gavet's return. I know it was his return but in the games he played when Gavet wasn't there he was tired and cumbersome. He got through the tackle a lot tonight and looked dangerous. 7/10

Conclusion: The bench was awesome but the handling was a let down for them. Austin, Farah and Nofoaluma were outsanding in a well beaten side and Lawrence had a good game. We just really need to learn that holding the ball is more important than trying to get a fast play the ball or pushing the low percentage offload. The forwards do well enough without having to pull off the hail mary. We aren't going to lose matches in the forwards with this pack if they just do what they're good at and hold the ball. We still lack cohesion in the backline and the defensive combinations leave a lot to be desired.

I also saw a few occasions where there seemed to be a lack of urgency on the play. We do look like we've run our race already though. Injuries, Origin and a lot of bad luck has really cruelled our hopes this year and we did need luck for a run. I think it's over for the year, our points differential will see to that even if we do fight back and get some results. With all hands on deck next year and these young minds and bodies a year older we can only do better.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:27 pm

Ratings to high given the result. That being said trange game.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

dave_farrell

Unread post by dave_farrell » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:30 pm

really well said and put together, i couldnt agree with u more

MacDougall
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:33 pm

southerntiger wrote:Ratings to high given the result. That being said trange game.

Haha they get 3 points for showing up though! Have you ever read Big League? You have a howler and get 3 or 4. Nobody in particular had an utter shocker and I handed out some fives! :lol:

Sully

Unread post by Sully » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:44 pm

I thought Blair was awesome and tried his guts out.

I would have him as an eight instead of six and hope that Simona is back next week as we need centres badly.

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:45 pm

Most of those look fair enough. Chris Lawrence was okay despite all the people blaming every try on him. Keith Lulia couldn't outrun a steamroller in mud. Poor Dene Halatau doesn't have the pace to play centre anymore and the inevitable happened. Forwards were pretty good for the most. Just one of those games. Robbed of the opening try, they get a dodgy try, go down 0-4 in the penalties, player tackled midair but no penalty just a line drop out and a try next set and Halatau unable to get across on the kick/chase. 0-22 and for the most part there wasn't much going on. We made some good inroads in the first half but lacked polish and finesse on their line.

supercoach
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:51 pm

Mac your appraisals were very much on the high side, but it was a funny game, for a lot of the time we were winning the yardage game, but one miss tackle and they were away.

It was a game where one team was blessed with brilliant team work against another team that was full of individuals all going in different directions.

Iam going to say it again, but this team is being groomed or trained not to loose games rather than win them and it is not working. I will get howled down but we have gone backwards from last year as a team

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:59 pm

I thought Sirro had his best game so far in the backrow

Boonboon2
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 11:06 pm

larrycorowa wrote:I thought Sirro had his best game so far in the backrow
Me too - really liked his dfence and his work with the ball was good in that he got it at the lne a lot but then made plenty of meters after the hit.

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 11:06 pm

supercoach wrote:Mac your appraisals were very much on the high side, but it was a funny game, for a lot of the time we were winning the yardage game, but one miss tackle and they were away.

It was a game where one team was blessed with brilliant team work against another team that was full of individuals all going in different directions.

Iam going to say it again, but this team is being groomed or trained not to loose games rather than win them and it is not working. I will get howled down but we have gone backwards from last year as a team
A negative coaching approach results in a negative team. For example most players would drop their heads somewhat when players who are not playing to first grade standard are selected week in and week out.

fromix

Unread post by fromix » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 7:10 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:I thought Sirro had his best game so far in the backrow
Me too - really liked his dfence and his work with the ball was good in that he got it at the lne a lot but then made plenty of meters after the hit.
Ill 3rd that.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 7:59 pm

Sirro was good.

Justo

Unread post by Justo » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 8:10 pm

Generous scoring considering the flogging we copped. Going by that manly players must average out at about 9.75.

Return to “Round 18: Wests Tigers vs Manly Sea Eagles”