Should of Robbie packed that scrum ??

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Should of Robbie packed that scrum ??

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:43 pm

Sorry been away for a few days and not had internet access

But after the players ran over to Hayne to protest that Nofoaluma had actually scored should Robbie had refused to pack the scrum and tried to have forced them to check the video ??

I understand its not part of the rules but I think players need to start questioning what is happening with the refs and the game in general that they are unhappy about

Doing in front of a national audience could of been the perfect chance to start making a point

Thoughts ??

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:46 pm

If they refused to pack a scrum he'd blow a penalty

Swordy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by Swordy » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:49 pm

No way. He should get on with the game with grace, honor and sportmanship. I think he went to the limit as he rightly should, and then get on with the game.

Referees deserve respect, even when they make blunders, as they ALWAYS will. I can name many occasions where the calls have gone with us. Disrespecting their authority on the field is disgusting in my view. On first view I didn't think it was a try, even though the replays would confirm that it was. The Eagles first try in my book was not, but it was awarded.

This is an opportunity for the NRL to correct a few things with referees. Perhaps there is too much going on with 2 refs, video refs etc etc. Makes the old days with one ref and two touchies look great. Perhaps we should just go back to the old days, because the new system has not improved too much in my book.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

hobbo
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by hobbo » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:52 pm

Farah should've gathered the team together .. Said were not doing nothing until hayne reviews the decision ... Approached hayne again and told him where himself and the team are at with Haynes ludicrous refereeing !

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:52 pm

innsaneink wrote:If they refused to pack a scrum he'd blow a penalty
happened a couple of tackles later anyway.. LOL
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 7:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:If they refused to pack a scrum he'd blow a penalty
Still makes a point in front of a national audience Ink

When players who are part of the Players Association are questioning anything and the NRL basically just brushes them off (the SOO schedule argument is the perfect point )

Is it just me but I think we are heading down the same path that lead us to Super League

Players and clubs aren't happy with the game and the hierarchy are refusing to listen

I know many disagree with me on this , but every possible try needs to be questioned and looked at with video evidence

If it is a clear cut try (or no try ) by the time the players have finished the hugging and ass grabbing the video ref will clear it , it won't slow the game down

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 7:14 am

Best thing Robbie can do is catch up with Hayne for a coffee to clear the air between them. The club needs to then make an official complaint. I suspect the bad blood stretches back to the 2010 semi final loss to the Roosters.

Bones
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Bones » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 8:43 am

i think Robbie should have gone around and collected all the game balls, then jump in his car and tell them if they don't check it he'll take the balls home. :brick:

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 8:51 am

My issue is that NRL referees seems to use the video ref when it suits them now

I'm trying to remember the game , but last weekend they used the video ref for something they shouldn't have used it for but it was to try and help one of the "golden" teams

Again every try / no try needs to be checked if it is clear cut it won't take long to view

If it isn't clear cut , the referees should of been checking it anyway

But as usual the NRL doesn't listen to the fans or the players . They still haven't worked out we are the people they need to keep happy

Might explain the disappointing crowds as well

barra
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 9:37 am

At the time I was blowing up and thinking they should stop playing and refuse to pack the scrum until it was checked!

In hindsight though, I'm glad he packed the scrum. And then made the point later that the ref was arrogant.

As far as Robbie clearing the air with Hayne, it should be Hayne that apologises to Robbie, the Wests Tigers and the fans. Judging by his reffing style Hayne is clearly starting to think he is bigger than all of these people.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 10:09 am

Robbie had enough class to get on with the game but I would have been more than happy if he didn't pack that scrum out of protest.

For Hayne not to refer that decision to the video ref was not only horribly inconsistent, it was plain wrong.

More than that it was suspicious. The NRL simply have to investigate.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 10:13 am

I dont think there are any great conspiracies at work. They are obviously under direction to make decisions on field where they can....problem with the one on weekend was the Hayne relied on evidence from another official who made a guess. I agree that refs should adjudicate when they are sure....but if there is an element of doubt they need to take advantage of the technology.

But the principle of the technology is that it should only be used to overturn decisions that are obviously wrong. We are quite clearly over analysing in many cases.

There are a few opportunities to clear up areas that lead to inconsistencies. As some other poster has outlined: Senior ref controls the ruck, move to a centralised video review system, be more precise about the where video refs can tip off the on-field refs.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 10:53 am

Very, very easy solution to this problem and i'm totally mystified why it isn't already in place as it costs nothing, and is a very minor change that won't impact the flow of the game much!

CAPTAIN'S CHALLENGE!!!!!

It's worked wonders in the NYC. One challenge per half allows captains to put their money where their mouth is and if they 100% believe that they scored, the opposition didn't or that there was/n't a penalty they challenge.

It would actually often speed up games as if a captain starts complaining the ref can simply ask them if they want to challenge the decision - if they say no, get back in the line.

It could be implemented by next weekend. It really is a no-brainer with no downsides!!
Last edited by Balmain Boy on Mon 14 Jul, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 1:21 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Very, very easy solution to this problem and i'm totally mystified why it isn't already in place as it costs nothing, and is a very minor change that won't impact the flow of the game much!

CAPTAIN'S CHALLENGE!!!!!

It's worked wonders in the NYC. One challenge per half allows captains to put their money where their mouth is and if they 100% believe that they scored, the opposition didn't or that there was/n't a penalty they challenge.

It would actually often speed up games as when a captain starts complaining the ref can ask the if they want to challenge the decision, if they say no - get back in the line.

It could be implemented by next weekend. It really is a no-brainer with no downsides!!
Hopefully 2015 BB

tig_prmz
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 2:31 pm

there are quite a few problems with captain's challenge

- i can imagine captains using the challenge at the end to give their forwards a breather
- even with a billion camera angles, stuff like forward passes, knock ons/strips, loose carry etc. is still very subjective- no use in those instances. these 50/50 calls will never have a 100% solution. one team will always complain.
- inevitably slows the game down
- howlers like the one shane hayne made are quite rare and that's what "challenges" need to be used on.

i just dont want captain's challenges to be used like they're in tennis or DRS in cricket- what shane hayne is inexcusable but captain's challenge is not the solution to it imo.. simply dropping the idiot for a week is sufficient to harness his ego.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 3:35 pm

tig_prmz wrote:there are quite a few problems with captain's challenge

- i can imagine captains using the challenge at the end to give their forwards a breather
- even with a billion camera angles, stuff like forward passes, knock ons/strips, loose carry etc. is still very subjective- no use in those instances. these 50/50 calls will never have a 100% solution. one team will always complain.
- inevitably slows the game down
- howlers like the one shane hayne made are quite rare and that's what "challenges" need to be used on.

i just dont want captain's challenges to be used like they're in tennis or DRS in cricket- what shane hayne is inexcusable but captain's challenge is not the solution to it imo.. simply dropping the idiot for a week is sufficient to harness his ego.
But there already are rules in place in NYC which governs what can and cannot be challenged. Forward passes can't be challenged. Penalties for lying in the ruck can't either etc. Once these rules are clearly established the chances of it's misuse is greatly minimised.

I've seen many NYC games and it's never come anything close to the DRS. Usually most teams don't even use their challenges, only if they really feel outraged then they do. Some teams do use them anytime they feel they were hard done by, and it's usually conclusively proven to be false/inconclusive in a quick manner for those occasions. Unless it's a huge call towards the end of a match loose carries/strips etc are rarely challenged as captains know footage can be inconclusive and they'd prefer to keep the call up their sleeves in case of a major howler.

If a captain get's it wrong, they can't challenge any more. If the replays are inconclusive the refs call stands.

Dropping Shane Hayne will do nothing. Nothing at all. The flawed person that he is will not have changed. Giving teams the opportunity to call him out on his errors will keep him in line.

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 132 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 4:37 pm

Tigers NYC used the captain's challenge to pretty good effect in last year's finals.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 4:43 pm

Yeah dropping Shayne Hayne just dropped his confidence

He was dropped from SOO the week before

That's a scary thought , two weeks ago he was regarded one of the two best referees

Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles are rated 3rd and 4th I'm guessing

Return to “Round 18: Wests Tigers vs Manly Sea Eagles”