Defence

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Defence

Unread post by mike » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:27 am

Defence is what won this game. The first 20 minutes it was a bit of a worry but they re-grouped.

The Bulldogs last scored at the 20 minute mark. This means Wests Tigers held them out for the last 60 minutes of the match. Scoring 34 unanswered points, 30-0 in the second half. Yes we had a lot of possession but I believe it was because of our defence that forced errors frustrating the Bulldogs.

For me the defence in those 60 minutes was the most pleasing and encouraging aspect of the game.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

TIGER
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by TIGER » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 3:39 pm

Defence was ordinary imo the dogs looked like they could score whenever they wanted and they did, it wasn't until we dominated possession, made no errors and penalties went our way that we dominated on the scoreboard. When you have all the ball then the other side gets it their attack has nothing cause they're usually knackered from tackling you all day. So did we defend good against a tired defeated team yes but we didn't look good at all defending when the dogs were fresh.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 4:07 pm

the defensive structure still needs work.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by mike » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 4:48 pm

TIGER wrote:Defence was ordinary imo the dogs looked like they could score whenever they wanted and they did, it wasn't until we dominated possession, made no errors and penalties went our way that we dominated on the scoreboard. When you have all the ball then the other side gets it their attack has nothing cause they're usually knackered from tackling you all day. So did we defend good against a tired defeated team yes but we didn't look good at all defending when the dogs were fresh.
I disagree. The young blokes had a dig. When they fell off they went again. The whole team didn't give up. After the 20min mark it changed significantly. The scrambling was very good. They only crossed our line once more after the 20min mark.

Yes it still needs work, but it was good.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

supercoach
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 4:53 pm

We won the game on the back of possession, okay our defense forced some of those turn overs, but I think it was our ability to complete our sets for the first time in yonks that was the winning factor. For the life of me I could not understand why the dogs did not try and shift the ball quickly to our flanks, we had a compressed defensive line in order to contain their forwards, so their was miles of room being patrolled by the wing men out wide. Lulia got lucky a couple of times screaming in off his wing to shut down a three man overlap. The better backlines would have being going wide all day.
The old story credit where credit is due, they played to a winning game plan and were near perfect

bp tiger
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by bp tiger » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 5:15 pm

I believe the defence with the ball won us the game. what I mean by that is we worked the dogs over with the ball we moved the big pack around, un like other weeks were we just hit the ball up one out. this week we ran them ragged, ball movement is so important if ur opposition is tired from working in defence then there is less effort put into there attack. I hope potter has changed his game plan away from been negative to this more up market type football.

Return to “Round 19: Wests Tigers vs Bulldogs”