A:
1. Teddy
3. Austin
6. Moses

B:
1. Moses
3. Teddy
6. Austin

To be honest, I would rather 1 player play out of their favourite position than two.
Makes sense, and probably the best option, particularly if Blake is not already filling in when one of the spine is out through injury or rep duty.

Whilst I praised him in an above post, as Ink stated, he does have a few poor and/or selfish options in his regular game at six, but his level of involvement and versatility are great assets, for both him and the team.

Moses on the other hand, wow, what a good youngster. He is a future superstar for mine, already, apart from defense, a much more complete footballer. On Sunday he was playing in his third game in top grade, after only a half dozen or so in NSW cup, and not in his preferred position, for which he also only has a few matches of experience.

TIGER
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by TIGER » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 3:51 pm

Blake is not a centre anyone with half a football brain can see he is a ball player, he's our first choice 6 for at least next season imo moses still has alot of development to go before he can defend in the line week in week out. Austin should either be 5/8 or lock no more centre talk.

underdog
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 5:13 pm

Just watched a replay of that try saver he made in the Roosters game again.

Far out that was by far one of the best I have ever seen.

Even usurping Tedescos try-saver against The Dragons Last year.

Such a brilliant player.

Lukic
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Lukic » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 5:16 pm

1. Moses
3. Tedesco
6. Austin

Moses might not be as quick or strong as Tedesco but is definitely the better player as far as ball playing and link-play goes. He can operate as a 2nd five-eighth essentially which is very valuable. Looks a lot like Lockyer at fullback and with a good offseason adding a bit of size and speed, will be a lot more dangerous.

Tedesco's career would be preserved I feel in the centres too. I cringe after he gets tackled on many kick returns with that very jinky upright style he has, because it seems that whenever he gets tackled around the legs he could get hurt. Running straighter lines using his speed and strength from the centres would still utilise this and he'd still be a massive threat as a support player looking for offloads, as a finisher of back line movements and also in the short kicking game.

Austin's game isn't that suited to the centres either. There's no doubt he could have some success there, but he isn't the type to beat his man on the outside to put the winger away. He works best drifting around the 20m in from the touchline and targeting tiring forwards/much smaller halves with quicker bursts of speed and that huge step of his. He's your prototypical running half in that sense. There's a number of times his running has troubled teams this year. The try against Parramatta just before half time that kept us in the match was awesome, albeit it was from hooker it shows what he can do. Same as the half-bust he made that lead to Brooks' try vs the Dogs and quite a few occasions vs the Cowboys he bent the line and nearly busted them in his first start at 5/8th. That's not to say he isn't a good ball player, because he does a good job with that aspect as well. Moses and Austin in tandem at 1 and 6 with Austin's running threat squaring up defenders allowing Moses space to exploit the overlap was the reason we were able to score that many tries down the right despite having scored barely any earlier in the season.

All in all, it's a good problem to have since we'll be having quality first graders in all positons, but I just feel that there's more potential in the 1. Moses 3. Tedesco 6. Austin combination with Austin being able to take out 2 defenders with the threat of his running game and consistently giving Moses the chance to work his magic in space with Tedesco and Nofoaluma outside of him.

Snake
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Snake » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 7:01 pm

TIGER wrote:Blake is not a centre anyone with half a football brain can see he is a ball player, he's our first choice 6 for at least next season imo moses still has alot of development to go before he can defend in the line week in week out. Austin should either be 5/8 or lock no more centre talk.
This has been my point from day one ,it is only 7 months before next seasons kick off ,there is no way Moses would of developed enough. Austin WILL be the starting 5/8 next season with Moses filling in for Teddy when injured which probable will be a lot.

larrycorowa
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by larrycorowa » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 7:31 pm

I wouldn't say he was selfish. I like the way he runs...it opens up so many options as the defence can't just drift off him. Lots of teams become one dimensional because their halves don't have effective running games (souths, penrith, dogs?).

Blake's versatility is a huge plus for us but I hope he cements the 6 position.

I would be inclined to give Tedesco a shot at centre and let Moses play at the back for a while. Here's an idea start Tedesco at fullback, bring Moses on at fullback, shift Tedesco into the centres and move Lawrence into the backrow rotation. You could also vary the team depending on game plan and opposition (not preferred).

But hell, we have a full pre-season to sort that out. It may depend on how much Moses develops strength wise to determine whether he is ready for week to week action and in what position.

PYMBLEPETE
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by PYMBLEPETE » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 11:15 pm

TIGER wrote:Blake is not a centre anyone with half a football brain can see he is a ball player, he's our first choice 6 for at least next season imo moses still has alot of development to go before he can defend in the line week in week out. Austin should either be 5/8 or lock no more centre talk.
Well I will fess up to having half a football brain. I am not saying Austin doesn't have ball playing skills, but almost every good thing he has done for us this year has been as a result of his running game. He should be a natural centre in my opinion.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 6:47 am

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
Well I will fess up to having half a football brain. I am not saying Austin doesn't have ball playing skills, but almost every good thing he has done for us this year has been as a result of his running game. He should be a natural centre in my opinion.
I agree. I think he'd make an excellent centre. Nothing wrong with having a ball playing centre. I love the idea. Daley and Fittler started in the centres and added a great dimension to their teams and it showed with both teams winning a premiership.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

NT Tiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 7:16 am

Quote larrycorowa "I wouldn't say he was selfish. I like the way he runs...it opens up so many options as the defence can't just drift off him." I reckon this is spot on and it makes him a dangerous weapon close to the line.
As Phil Gould pointed out in the dogs commentary, the dogs were at 6's and 7's. They didn't know where to look next. Austin was a big part of that.
"Quality Stupidity"

wd in perth
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 8:54 am

Austin apologises for ""high shot""

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 7:52 pm

Moses and Brooks are our halves combo next year. They have to be. They will be guns.

You lock them into your starting line up and then worry about the rest.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 8:32 pm

wd in perth wrote:Austin apologises for ""high shot""

lol

Geoff Daniela ‏@geoffydaniela Jul 20
@blakeaustin6 was a love tap. Should of slapped him again to get up lol. #killingitlad

could we get back daniella?
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 10:23 am

I find it laughable that you say anyone that thinks Austin is a centre doesn't have half a football brain ( ive suggested he could play centre), yet suggest he plays lock.

The modern lock role is very similar to that of a prop. They defend in the middle and are require to carry the ball out of their own half. The ball playing lock left the game years ago, ball playing backrowers now play on the edge, he may fill that role, but given he has slimed down so much, Id say we wont see him there either.

Milky
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Milky » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 10:28 am

What a Centre this guy would make, we need to move him there. He and Austin would set up Nofa and Richards perfectly.

Return to “Round 20: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons”