How BIG is this game

User avatar
Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

How BIG is this game

Unread post by Sabre » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:29 pm

It's like a story isn't.
The old vs the new.
The club legend vs the young cubs.
Benji Marshall the long standing champion of the Wests Tigers, the hero and idolised by rugby league fans everywhere, especially by children. The man who said he would never play for another club and was a 'Tiger for Life'. That all changed after a long period of poor form and the hero fell on his sword. After a failed stint in Rugby Union he has come back to NRL and on Sunday he will break that vow to never play against the Wests Tigers.

Meanwhile Benji leaving has given those children who idolised him and grew up watching him play a spot in the first grade team, these kids who were 11 or 12 years old when Benji lead the Tigers to premiership glory in 2005. And come Sunday they will face him at ANZ Stadium, as while the teammates he has played alongside for a decade. These 'kids' are now the face of the team and the future of the club.

If the Tigers and Dragons didn't already have a big enough rivalry this takes it to a whole new level. What a cracker it'll be, I'm expecting a close game and one that we could be talking about for years to come.


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30383
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by willow » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:41 pm

It will be a big one, I'm expecting a semi-final type atmosphere and a big crowd to go with it.

User avatar
weststigers
Member
Member
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 6:25 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by weststigers » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:52 pm

So true. If we want to play finals, we need to start playing finals footy....whatever that means.

We laid a good platform against the Dogs to start a charge towards the finals and we need to do the little things right. Momentum and consistency will be key leading up to Rd 26.

We've got a big chance here. Let's hope the boys take it to them.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7901
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 1:05 pm

It's still a love hate relationship with Benji. Whenever dragons play, I end up going for Benji and hoping that he does something spectacular.

But I do hate the person that he is off the field. I lack a lot of respect for him

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

User avatar
ulluru22
Member
Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon 06 Aug, 2012 7:35 pm

Unread post by ulluru22 » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 1:11 pm

There should be a good crowd!! I'm already booked and ready to go!!

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Image
"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man"
Don Corleone, The Godfather.


User avatar
Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 4:21 pm

I'll be there for sure too.
Potential for a huge crowd if marketed properly.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6412
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 4:32 pm

All the hype is around Benji, I hope they do not forget about Widup, he destroyed us in round one, to me he is close to the buy of the year

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24979
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 339 times

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 4:39 pm

Massive game in terms of momentum ...back to back wins is what your after at this point in the season....minamize losses is the key....stuff Benji...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5029
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 4:42 pm

supercoach wrote:All the hype is around Benji, I hope they do not forget about Widup, he destroyed us in round one, to me he is close to the buy of the year
not really, he's faded away quite a lot after a great start.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6412
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 5:07 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
supercoach wrote:All the hype is around Benji, I hope they do not forget about Widup, he destroyed us in round one, to me he is close to the buy of the year
not really, he's faded away quite a lot after a great start.
Disagree, he is their go to man more often than not and organizes 70% of their plays, where Benji is used mainly in the red zone with his combo with Dugan. Will be interesting, the Dogs backline was rubbish last week, the Dragons will offer a lot more

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36070
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 5:44 pm

Sabre wrote:It's like a story isn't.
The old vs the new.
The club legend vs the young cubs.
Benji Marshall the long standing champion of the Wests Tigers, the hero and idolised by rugby league fans everywhere, especially by children. The man who said he would never play for another club and was a 'Tiger for Life'. That all changed after a long period of poor form and the hero fell on his sword. After a failed stint in Rugby Union he has come back to NRL and on Sunday he will break that vow to never play against the Wests Tigers.

Meanwhile Benji leaving has given those children who idolised him and grew up watching him play a spot in the first grade team, these kids who were 11 or 12 years old when Benji lead the Tigers to premiership glory in 2005. And come Sunday they will face him at ANZ Stadium, as while the teammates he has played alongside for a decade. These 'kids' are now the face of the team and the future of the club.

If the Tigers and Dragons didn't already have a big enough rivalry this takes it to a whole new level. What a cracker it'll be, I'm expecting a close game and one that we could be talking about for years to come.
Sabre if you give me the measurements I will give you a quote asap

Are you paying by the litre or by the gallon ??

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 7:44 pm

I would be excited if we can backup last week's performance.

I would love it if Jesse Sue has a breakthrough performance and really dominates....i reckon he is really close. I like the way he plays tight and does the dirty work.....a more powerful version of Rhino or a cross between watmough and gallen. Geez I haven't put much pressure on him have I.

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Tue 31 May, 2011 3:36 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 7:50 pm

How big is this game?, I had to give a Stains supporter 1/2 a point start!, hope we can turn the clock back 12 months when Luke Brooks debuted and had an absolute blinder!.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36070
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 8:45 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:How big is this game?, I had to give a Stains supporter 1/2 a point start!, hope we can turn the clock back 12 months when Luke Brooks debuted and had an absolute blinder!.
Be nice wouldn't it

Would certainly do our for and against a massive favour as well

User avatar
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4634
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: with Daffy Duck, having fun
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 9:38 pm

how big is this game?
nearly as big as the ego's of some of the players in it.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold



" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

User avatar
greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 9:49 pm

It's 2 points that we need

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16097
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 8:12 am

If we lose, the next game will be a big one.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

User avatar
alex
Member
Member
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Haberfield

Unread post by alex » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 9:52 am

IMO the club has done a pretty poor job at marketing the game. They're going with some crappy 'Christmas in July' thing with a picture of Luke Brooks in a Santa hat. Stuff the whole 'political correctness', this game should be marketed as the Return of Benji. THAT will get people through the doors.

We have had a dream week with the media - they're all on the Mitchell Moses bandwagon and hyping up the young vs old. The Tigers should be harnessing this!

Post Reply

Return to “Round 20: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons”