Forwards lessons from tonight

VanillaThunder
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Forwards lessons from tonight

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 10:22 pm

Ava has overtaken Taupau as the second best prop at the club, at least while Marty still has those silly penalties in his game.
Gavet needs to go back to reggies, and learn consistent effort in his spells and how to hit and run through the line not just stop and shrug.
Woods is head and shoulders above everyone that we lose so much when he's off. There's no real remedy outside of maybe playing him in more, shorter stints.
Blair has really found his feet and is quickly approaching a Farah/Woods-like level of influence. I think he's earned a spot as co-captain, which will hopefully lighten Robbie's load too.

As long as Galloway plays I don't think there's room for Gavet. Akauola provides much more impact, consistency and upside.
When Keef goes I'd swap Ava in with a bench of Taupau, Gavet, Lodge and Akauola (Sue starting over Thompson).

Side note, having not seen Moses come through the grades, I think he starts in NSW cup next season. Austin has earned the spot and week in week out takes it upon himself to gain momentum when no one else is prepared to step up. It's his spot to lose, regardless of how much of Moses' talent Farah claims and the wraps on his partnership with Brooks. At this point in time, he is the 6 in our strongest 17.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 10:37 pm

I agree with most of that but I think Austin has way too many mistakes in him. I think Moses should be our 6 now.

alexaki

Unread post by alexaki » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 10:57 pm

stevetiger wrote:I agree with most of that but I think Austin has way too many mistakes in him. I think Moses should be our 6 now.
Mosses has soft hands and throws sweet passes.. He should be our 6 next year..I'd groom Austin to be a centre... His strength is his running game..

Irvine

Unread post by Irvine » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 11:06 pm

You can see the class in Moses and doesn't he have great hands. Austin does some real good things but I don't know just something about him that makes me think his just an average player.

VanillaThunder
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 11:59 pm

Moses has good hands, sure, but at the moment he just doesn't have it in him to step up when the team needs it, as Austin has showed over and over again. In a young team like ours that relies so heavily on momentum, that alone is invaluable.
I think Moses is probably the long term answer, but he has a ways to go and Blake shows more short term potential in my opinion.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 6:21 am

VanillaThunder wrote:Moses has good hands, sure, but at the moment he just doesn't have it in him to step up when the team needs it, as Austin has showed over and over again. In a young team like ours that relies so heavily on momentum, that alone is invaluable.
I think Moses is probably the long term answer, but he has a ways to go and Blake shows more short term potential in my opinion.
I think Moses can step up and I think playing him at 6 will help that more. I think part of the issue is that Austin gets the ball and then makes poor decisions whereas Moses doesn't.

Austin should have been going to Moses all night long but he didn't. I just don't see Austin as having a spot in the halves in first grade due to the mistakes in his game. He is a good player. I'm just not convinced he is the player you want controlling the game in the halves.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 6:30 am

VanillaThunder wrote:Moses has good hands, sure, but at the moment he just doesn't have it in him to step up when the team needs it, as Austin has showed over and over again. In a young team like ours that relies so heavily on momentum, that alone is invaluable.

We need direction more than anything and Moses provides just that.

LCA
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by LCA » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 6:47 am

I feel both Austin and Gavet are similar; showy, grab your attention from time -to-time, but lack the consistency to get a starting spot. Bench players for the moment, IMO. Austin will get a reprieve due to injuries probably and start somewhere in the top squad next week.

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:40 am

Irvine wrote:You can see the class in Moses and doesn't he have great hands. Austin does some real good things but I don't know just something about him that makes me think his just an average player.
People raved over Austin because they wanted him (rightfully) to replace Anasta. He is not that good.

littletiger

Unread post by littletiger » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 8:19 am

Gavet hasn't been same since his injury. Tapau makes at least one really dumb mistake per game. I was really impressed with Blair last night his hit on Slater and cronk were worth price of admission. I hope they persist with akoula he looks like he belongs in first grade somewhere. I would of played him at centre I think.. as for Moses Austin. I think have to accept hard fact Austin has to go. He doesn't fit in the team. Austin one individual try per game is great but not going to win footy games.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 8:21 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Irvine wrote:You can see the class in Moses and doesn't he have great hands. Austin does some real good things but I don't know just something about him that makes me think his just an average player.
People raved over Austin because they wanted him (rightfully) to replace Anasta. He is not that good.
He's a good player, just doesn't move the ball as often as he should, takes on the line way too much. That's why I think he's much better served having a run in the centres. Only problem is his defence.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 8:42 am

People need to realize that Taupau and Gavet will only get better

It is their first season in grade and they are still learning

Having Woods ,Blair and Keefy as mentors will hold them in good stead

Wait until they have played two full seasons and have 50 games behind them , they will be far better , smarter players

CocaCola
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by CocaCola » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:17 pm

Our season is pretty much over due to injuries & point differentiation , we have nothing to lose by playing our youngsters in the positions they are most likely to be trialed in early 2015.. No point dropping points next year trying to figure out working combinations when you can use the remainder of the season as a trial.

Moses - to 6 so we can see the confidence & combination he forms with Brooks in the top flight..
No use holding him back @ #1 when Tedesco is head & shoulders above in that spot..

Austin - Has done really well for us everywhere he has been played. Would like to see how he goes at centre so Moses can get a run @ 6.

Simona - Preferably centre, but if Nofo is out & lawrence comes back in, then I would give him the wing spot as I don't think Lulia or anyone else can cover.

Lulia - shouldn't even be getting a run, ball boy gets more action in the game. Enough said

Keefy - Doesn't look dangerous what so ever. I will cringe if his contract gets renewed.

Taupau &the rest of the bench should be getting more game time then Keefy.

Rowe - FB just for the season, unless Moltzen comes into the side.

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:33 pm

Ha, finally some people agree with me that Moses should be our five eighth! He has the overall play making ability required of a REAL five eighth and should definitely start there next year, especially after an off season weight training program. I like Austin as a player. He is enthusiastic and a good broken field runner, who can score a try. However, this doesn't make him an effective modern day five eighth as he HASN'T shown that he can consistently set up the play. I agree with others that he SHOULD be groomed as a centre where he can take advantage of his real strength, his running game. As for other team selections, Ava and Tapau have shown that they should start ahead of Galloway and Sironen.

Return to “Round 21: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”