Ironic

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Ironic

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm

One of our wingers from this season was helping win the game for the opposition last night (Koro)

Whilst we fielded a back rower on the wing, and a 34 year old with a dodgy hammy.

Only at this club.


Majere77
Member
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat 23 Feb, 2013 9:23 pm

Unread post by Majere77 » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:27 pm

Stop the presses.....Sports players get injured.... More News at 7!

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:28 pm

maybe you should tell WT staff...

Players get injured....

therefore depth is important......

Dont sell players mid season just to be nice guys.

User avatar
LaT
Member
Member
Posts: 3484
Joined: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: NSW
Contact:

Unread post by LaT » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:34 pm

Koro was in our top 25, releasing him no doubt was partly driven by the need to create room because of injuries early in the season.

We then go on to injure more and more of our backs. Unfortunate, but explainable.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:37 pm

i think it is inexcusable when we were in contention for the top 8

Potter conceeded it was to give him a better opportunity. did not mention anything about cap.

I think it is very poor and not for the first time it has bitten us.

Not saying Koro makes all the diff, however boy oh boy he would be our best outside back available right now


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18687
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:39 pm

Pat Richards is 32 champion

alexaki
Member
Member
Posts: 5042
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

Unread post by alexaki » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:40 pm

Just another of many dumb decisions by the club this year....

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

User avatar
LaT
Member
Member
Posts: 3484
Joined: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: NSW
Contact:

Unread post by LaT » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:48 pm

Eddie wrote:i think it is inexcusable when we were in contention for the top 8

Potter conceeded it was to give him a better opportunity. did not mention anything about cap.

I think it is very poor and not for the first time it has bitten us.

Not saying Koro makes all the diff, however boy oh boy he would be our best outside back available right now
If we were in contention for the 8, wouldn't it make sense in the face of injuries to release an outside back (at a time when we had enough) to bring in a player for a position we were struggling to cover?

It seems obvious that if we have blown through our 2nd tier cap already by this point, then by mid season it was probably already on the mind of the coaches. You have to remember that you can't release a player to another club after June 30th deadline.

As bad of a club as we are in terms of contracts and what not, it really does take a huge jump to believe that even we would simply release a player based purely on a good karma reward.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25205
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:49 pm

Put any of our blokes in a great team and most of their shortcoming can be covered for....in a poor team theyre just highlited and exposed

Clubs dont like to admit theyre at cap limit.....no need to generate bad news when we have it by the bucketload already

User avatar
Milky
Member
Member
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:08 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Milky » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 10:53 pm

Club was left with the decision of either Koro or Austin in the top 25.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4242
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 8:05 am

innsaneink wrote:Put any of our blokes in a great team and most of their shortcoming can be covered for....in a poor team theyre just highlited and exposed
This is very true but I think I take a different lesson to this from you. Dont sell Koro, fix our structure.

Whilst our defensive structure remains poor it doesnt matter who you have on the edges we will struggle.

For example, over the last few years we are the only team that repeatedly fails to protect our wingers on bombs. Every other team has protected this and we give the other team a saloon passage.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25205
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 8:17 am

Agree ST
Dont get me wrong, I was hoping they would work in his deficiencies....anyone could see he was worth more than chucking in the too hard basket.

There must be more to it....I wonder if Lote leaving had any affect in this, he goes to another club with another Fijian winger (whos leaving them next year) Cap issues too I suspect but geez you start at the bottom when making room.

PYMBLEPETE
Member
Member
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:15 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by PYMBLEPETE » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 8:24 am

LaT wrote:
Eddie wrote:i think it is inexcusable when we were in contention for the top 8

Potter conceeded it was to give him a better opportunity. did not mention anything about cap.

I think it is very poor and not for the first time it has bitten us.

Not saying Koro makes all the diff, however boy oh boy he would be our best outside back available right now
If we were in contention for the 8, wouldn't it make sense in the face of injuries to release an outside back (at a time when we had enough) to bring in a player for a position we were struggling to cover?

It seems obvious that if we have blown through our 2nd tier cap already by this point, then by mid season it was probably already on the mind of the coaches. You have to remember that you can't release a player to another club after June 30th deadline.

As bad of a club as we are in terms of contracts and what not, it really does take a huge jump to believe that even we would simply release a player based purely on a good karma reward.
Your argument makes no sense. If it were correct, who is the player who has been brought in to cover a position we were struggling in?

I dont claim to know the reason he was released, but I would think it is more likely linked to retaining Tedesco than anything else.

phil1986
Member
Member
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:45 pm
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by phil1986 » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 8:40 am

Eddie wrote:i think it is inexcusable when we were in contention for the top 8

Potter conceeded it was to give him a better opportunity. did not mention anything about cap.

I think it is very poor and not for the first time it has bitten us.

Not saying Koro makes all the diff, however boy oh boy he would be our best outside back available right now
Mayer mentioned the cap.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

TigersFan4Life
Member
Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:39 pm

Unread post by TigersFan4Life » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 10:47 am

It was funny when he threw a pass from left to right and looked a bit awkward, and someone in the crowd near me shouted out "That's why we got rid of you, Koro! 'Cause you can't pass!" and then ten seconds later, Smith shifted the attack back to Koro's wing and he scored, LOL.

User avatar
Juro
Member
Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Juro » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 11:56 am

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, huh?
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4242
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 12:05 pm

Cap problems are rubbish. The club caused cap problems by purchasing Halatau and Lulia - both players the club simply didnt need. Dene, as much I love the bloke simply doesnt offer anything a young backrower offers. Lulia has all Koro's flaws without his upside. Our club is run by idiots.

Hindisght is a rubbish excuse too. The decision was criticised at the time.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Goose
Member
Member
Posts: 4633
Joined: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Concord

Unread post by Goose » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 12:13 pm

Halatau, Richards and Lulia were bought in as short term solutions why the kids came through, in my mind a sensible strategy.
They didn't want to spend big dollars, but wanted experience.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 21: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”