Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Farah, Tigers attempt to save season in Townsville

Unread post by willow » Thu 07 Aug, 2014 8:12 pm

Farah, Tigers attempt to save season in Townsville

By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
NRL.com
8:55pm Wed 06th August, 2014

As the Robbie Farah soap opera saunters from one episode to the next, the rest of his teammates are preparing to save their season when they go on the road to Townsville on Saturday night.

The latest drama involving the Tigers skipper comes after he tweeted a text message from the club's media manager that explained his no-show at the post-game press conference following the team's loss to Melbourne last Monday night.

Prop Keith Galloway, playing in his 150th NRL match, replaced Farah at the media conference, with teammates downplaying Farah's absence.

"I understand Keith Galloway doing it because it was his 150th. I don't know what everyone's going on about," prop Martin Taupau said.

But as the pressure continues to mount on Farah to break his silence – he's reportedly doing a tell-all on the The Footy Show on Thursday night – the intense strain on the club will only increase should the 12th-placed Tigers lose against the Cowboys this weekend.

Already two points outside the top eight with a points differential of -90, defeat will just about spell an end to the club's 2014 campaign and return the spotlight on the future of off-contract coach Mick Potter.

"I guess you could sort of look at it that way. If we lost, we've still got four games to come after that and stranger things have happened. But huge game this week, we've got to come out firing," five-eighth Blake Austin said on Wednesday.

Taupau said every game was a must-win for the Tigers from here on in if they are to have a chance of sneaking into the finals.

"I think so. It's on the line. We have to win all our games. It's do-able. We've just got to believe in each other," he said.

Along with centre Chris Lawrence and Cory Paterson, Farah took part in the club's only training session at Concord before departing for Townsville on Thursday.

Taupau said that the heavy scrutiny on the club captain, together with the club's already lengthy injury toll and this week's suspension of outside backs Sitaleki Akauola and Bodene Thompson, had pushed them completely against the wall.

"It's good because everyone's writing us off. Just like the start of the year, [they] thought we were going to get the wooden spoon. We've got to aim up and play well and come away with a win this week," he said.

"[But] I don't reckon we've peaked as well. We've still got a lot of potential and a lot of things to show. With all the injuries, it makes it harder for us.

"I believe that we can still make the top eight. Everyone's saying we've got a tough run home, but it's a mind game. If everyone's comments... if you let them get to you, then you might as well not play."

The Tigers' remaining four games after this weekend are against the Roosters (H), Bulldogs (A), Raiders (A), and Sharks (H).

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Aug, 2014 8:18 pm

Did I read that right ??

Lawrence and Patterson are back possibly ??

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Thu 07 Aug, 2014 8:38 pm

Marty and Blake show more common sense and class than many others have so far in this saga. Love their attitude.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Thu 07 Aug, 2014 8:48 pm

Lawrence is actually due back next week so one week earlier wouldn't be too nuts. Paterson though, his injury looked season ending. Very timely ins though!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:03 pm

Something to play for finally

I think they'll have a red hot go

tigerbenji
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by tigerbenji » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:34 pm

Heard Lawrence is playing this Week, Was on 2sm Yesterday.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:40 pm

tigerbenji wrote:Heard Lawrence is playing this Week, Was on 2sm Yesterday.
Rowdy is definitely here ,thought he was trying to skip getting a signing and he was just going for a leak :roll

He was a good sport about it

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:55 pm

i honestly think if we can win tonight (i know the odds are 10000 to 1) we are in with a chance of winning our last 3 and possibly making the top 8. It all starts tonight though and with an extremely depleted side i think its wishful thinking :(
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:02 pm

Tony33 wrote:i honestly think if we can win tonight (i know the odds are 10000 to 1) we are in with a chance of winning our last 3 and possibly making the top 8. It all starts tonight though and with an extremely depleted side i think its wishful thinking :(
Bulldogs are in big trouble I reckon

If we can win tonight that could be the big game for the last spot

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:33 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tony33 wrote:i honestly think if we can win tonight (i know the odds are 10000 to 1) we are in with a chance of winning our last 3 and possibly making the top 8. It all starts tonight though and with an extremely depleted side i think its wishful thinking :(

We do seem to have a mental advantage over the Cowboys, for some reason, and have had for years. Even when they are going well and we're not, they have rarely smashed us and Thurston has never really had a 'blinder' against us (watch him have one tonight now lol), so I guess anything is possible, Tony.

That said, both teams have usually been on, or near, full strength in our previous encounters. They are on a roll at the moment and I feel that we are just way too depleted to be able to hang in there with them for the full eighty tonight. Losing Brooks for the match, again, is a real kick in the guts as Austin and Sirro in the halves together just don't have it - Moses and Austin would be a better replacement combination I'm sure, but I'm not the coach.

I really didn't think our injury toll could've gotten any worse than it was in the previous 2 seasons, but those years have paled into insignificance compared to the injuries we have managed to rack up this season - it's very disappointing.

Yes Canterbury are in trouble, Happy, but so are we, and our F/A is a whole lot worse than theirs - not to mention they are still 4 points ahead of us on the ladder as well. It will take a miracle, akin to the parting of the Red Sea, to get us in the 8 now, I reckon.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:50 pm

happy tiger wrote:

agreed happy. I think we can account for the raiders and sharks in the final two weeks, considering they're two teams we always seem to do well against and they're both struggling as it is. That leaves us needing two more wins from matches against the cowboys, roosters and bulldogs. The bulldogs as you say are in massive trouble especially with reynolds looking likely to be suspended for the season and we showed a few weeks ago we could beat them comfortably even with a depleted side. That means tonight is absolutely crucial in the context of our season as we wouldn't be able to beat the roosters next week even with a 20 point head start (bogey team). I know we might be asking for a bit much from our band-aid side but we seem to always do well against the cowboys as Flippedy alluded to and it definitely isn't beyond the relms of possibility. Anything is possible...
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:54 pm

Flippedy wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

We do seem to have a mental advantage over the Cowboys, for some reason, and have had for years. Even when they are going well and we're not, they have rarely smashed us and Thurston has never really had a 'blinder' against us (watch him have one tonight now lol), so I guess anything is possible, Tony.

That said, both teams have usually been on, or near, full strength in our previous encounters. They are on a roll at the moment and I feel that we are just way too depleted to be able to hang in there with them for the full eighty tonight. Losing Brooks for the match, again, is a real kick in the guts as Austin and Sirro in the halves together just don't have it - Moses and Austin would be a better replacement combination I'm sure, but I'm not the coach.

I really didn't think our injury toll could've gotten any worse than it was in the previous 2 seasons, but those years have paled into insignificance compared to the injuries we have managed to rack up this season - it's very disappointing.

Yes Canterbury are in trouble, Happy, but so are we, and our F/A is a whole lot worse than theirs - not to mention they are still 4 points ahead of us on the ladder as well. It will take a miracle, akin to the parting of the Red Sea, to get us in the 8 now, I reckon.

Moses has got that covered... ;)

I have a feeling the boys will give it a good shake tonight...completions as always will be the key..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 2:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Moses has got that covered... ;)

I have a feeling the boys will give it a good shake tonight...completions as always will be the key..
Lol didn't even see that when I wrote it!

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 8:25 pm

The attempt to save our season is going real well.....NOT! Why do they publicly say such tripe and then go out doing absolutely nothing about it on the field? The fans deserve better.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 8:27 pm

Farah can piss off for all I care....this is all his fault
The end result of him bringing a fortnight of crap to the club.
Bravo captain clueless!!!

alexaki

Unread post by alexaki » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 9:59 pm

innsaneink wrote:Farah can piss off for all I care....this is all his fault
Watch it Farah reads these posts....lol

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:09 pm

If the rest of the players have given up on Farah, which appears to be the case to me, then I assume he really is the jerk in all this.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:09 pm

alexaki wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Farah can piss off for all I care....this is all his fault
Watch it Farah reads these posts....lol

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Couldn't care less. The shenanigans surrounding his denial of a statement with no relevance to now has ruined the season.

But it's OK, he went on TFS and got it all off his chest... Meanwhile the guy who will likely be thrown to the wolves first goes about his business without stirring the pot...

A one sentence statement a fortnight ago would have avoided all this...
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Return to “Round 22: Wests Tigers vs North Queensland Cowboys”