Blake Austin in 2015

Cultured Bogan

Re: Blake Austin in 2015

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 1:09 pm

He's a little shady in defence though. If he worked on his defending he could make a good centre.
Just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Nors05

Post by Nors05 » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 1:26 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:If Austin play's 5/8 it puts a lot of pressure at the feet of Brooks as the sole playmaker in the side. For Brooks' development he needs someone who can contribute straight away with the passing and kicking games. If Brooks is our best junior we have to nurture him, if we expect him to carry the team already it could damage his development.

Austin is just a runner, as has been said many times before. Unless Taylor teaches him how play in the halves in the off season he needs to play centre or bench.

Moses can organise, pass, kick, and run. His defence is actually no worse than Austin's. Austin made a lot of grabs at thin air don't forget. And Moses is the same size as James Malloney so anyone saying he needs another 5kg before he can play first grade is full of prejudiced, regurgitated crap.
You make a damn fine point.

Like most of you I want Austin in the starting 17. He does play more like a ball runner than a half, which is why I think he would make a better Fullback than 5/8.

It does put us in a pickle with Teddy already at Fullback but still, I like Austin at fullback

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 3:02 pm

Blake Austin is our starting 6, no doubt about it. He was our best player by far last year and people want a 19 year old speed bump instead?
I haven't seen Moses play through the grades so I'm not burdened by the same expectations of his potential as others, and I just can't justify having him start over Blake. Maybe after a few years of dominating State Cup (he is locked up long term, after all) but not before then if everyone is fully fit.

I disagree with the idea that it will put more pressure on Brooks too. When the chips were down and we needed points/a big play it was Austin that took the responsibility upon himself and made something happen. Rather than have two 19 year olds running around like headless chooks I'd take Blake tucking it under his arm and having a go.

Anasta's responsibility was to get us to tackle 4 then Brooks would take over, I don't see why Austin couldn't do the same but with an infinitely better running game. Taylor could be the sort of coach that turns him in to a real top notch half.

Posted using RoarFEED

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 3:02 pm

Blake Austin is our starting 6, no doubt about it. He was our best player by far last year and people want a 19 year old speed bump instead?
I haven't seen Moses play through the grades so I'm not burdened by the same expectations of his potential as others, and I just can't justify having him start over Blake. Maybe after a few years of dominating State Cup (he is locked up long term, after all) but not before then if everyone is fully fit.

I disagree with the idea that it will put more pressure on Brooks too. When the chips were down and we needed points/a big play it was Austin that took the responsibility upon himself and made something happen. Rather than have two 19 year olds running around like headless chooks I'd take Blake tucking it under his arm and having a go.

Anasta's responsibility was to get us to tackle 4 then Brooks would take over, I don't see why Austin couldn't do the same but with an infinitely better running game. Taylor could be the sort of coach that turns him in to a real top notch half.

Posted using RoarFEED

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 4:34 pm

We need him next year and long term, what position you play him is anyone's guess. Their will be injuries and we need quality players in the 1 6 7 and 9 and Austen has all those numbers covered.

The trick will be keeping everyone happy both in terms of money and their football. Also keeping combinations going is important, you do not want to be chopping and changing your spine if you don't have to

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 4:57 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:Blake Austin is our starting 6, no doubt about it. He was our best player by far last year and people want a 19 year old speed bump instead?

Posted using RoarFEED
Perhaps you missed Austin's feeble attempts at defence, or forgot about these due to his ability to score a try? Moses' defence is no worse than Austin's.

yes when the chips were down it was up to Brooks/Teddy at the beginning of the season, and Austin from about the midpoint of the season on. If he was at centre he would still be able to take it upon himself to take the line on. That's the bloody point! He doesn't setup tries, he scores tries. He doesn't kick downfield, not put up bombs. Moses can do that so why not have them all out there at the same time?!

Having someone who can pass and kick on both sides of the field is surely a good idea!

Anasta never got us to tackle 4. He barely ever touched the ball, so unless he got us there vocally he didn't do anything. Having Austin getting us to tackle 4 then letting brooks have a go means that 75% of our set is wasted by not threatening the defence.

What's wrong with having two ball players in the halves, and ball-runners in the backline?

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 5:49 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:What's wrong with having two ball players in the halves, and ball-runners in the backline?
I think that this might be our best option. Austin to the centres.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 6:45 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
VanillaThunder wrote:Blake Austin is our starting 6, no doubt about it. He was our best player by far last year and people want a 19 year old speed bump instead?

Posted using RoarFEED
Perhaps you missed Austin's feeble attempts at defence, or forgot about these due to his ability to score a try? Moses' defence is no worse than Austin's.

yes when the chips were down it was up to Brooks/Teddy at the beginning of the season, and Austin from about the midpoint of the season on. If he was at centre he would still be able to take it upon himself to take the line on. That's the bloody point! He doesn't setup tries, he scores tries. He doesn't kick downfield, not put up bombs. Moses can do that so why not have them all out there at the same time?!

Having someone who can pass and kick on both sides of the field is surely a good idea!

Anasta never got us to tackle 4. He barely ever touched the ball, so unless he got us there vocally he didn't do anything. Having Austin getting us to tackle 4 then letting brooks have a go means that 75% of our set is wasted by not threatening the defence.

What's wrong with having two ball players in the halves, and ball-runners in the backline?
1. So looking at it that way; both bad defenders, Austin scores tries and Moses sets them up. Austin is more of a threat IMO, but for your sake I'll call it even.

2. It's the responsibility of the centre to set up their outside man, even more so in the modern game. Austin's running game is so dangerous because he is playing as a half, throw him in at centre and it'll be a lot easier for defences to shut down his time and space, meaning we're down a centre (also a questionable defender) and automatically playing 16 vs 17.

3. It's a bloody brilliant idea, so tell Brooksy to play both sides of the field! Get rid of the left-right trend and just play as traditional halves. Automatically increases the potency of our attack, and Austin becomes even more of a threat at 6. I would like to see him shoulder more kicking responsibilities though.

4. Austin possesses something crucial that Anasta doesn't and that's vision and creative spark. If he can marshal the forwards for the first four tackles while having a license to attack where he sees fit then I don't see any problems.

End of the day we have differing opinions, that's what forums are for. Austin is my first choice 6 for 2015, whether or not he remains so long term is dependent on Moses' development in State Cup, but again, he's locked up long term so we have the luxury of waiting and not rushing.
I just don't see why it'd be worth risking losing Austin just to see how Moses goes at this point.

Posted using RoarFEED

Tigercrb

Post by Tigercrb » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 8:16 pm

A left off field idea but I think he could easily be used at lock?
There isn't a great deal of difference between 5/8 and lock. Look at anasta, fitter, daley. I'm in no way comparing him to them, just the roles they played. It would allow him to concentrate on running the ball and not be burdened with too much passing,kicking and organising. If we put a bit of size on him, his speed and footwork would be dangerous, similar to Tyrone peachey.
I'm not sure of his physical stats but he can't be much smaller than liam fulton.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 10:25 pm

Nors05 wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:If Austin play's 5/8 it puts a lot of pressure at the feet of Brooks as the sole playmaker in the side. For Brooks' development he needs someone who can contribute straight away with the passing and kicking games. If Brooks is our best junior we have to nurture him, if we expect him to carry the team already it could damage his development.

Austin is just a runner, as has been said many times before. Unless Taylor teaches him how play in the halves in the off season he needs to play centre or bench.

Moses can organise, pass, kick, and run. His defence is actually no worse than Austin's. Austin made a lot of grabs at thin air don't forget. And Moses is the same size as James Malloney so anyone saying he needs another 5kg before he can play first grade is full of prejudiced, regurgitated crap.
You make a damn fine point.

Like most of you I want Austin in the starting 17. He does play more like a ball runner than a half, which is why I think he would make a better Fullback than 5/8.

It does put us in a pickle with Teddy already at Fullback but still, I like Austin at fullback
I don't see a pickle at all, if Tedesco comes back somewhere close to his form early this year, he is the fullback. Full stop.
Or are we going to continue the usual time honoured practice of weakening two positions to slot someone in . I have no problems in Austin being in the team,but it will depend on how Moses and Blake start the year.
Moses will get a lot out of a full off season with the F/grade side and will hopefully have more confidence.
This competition for places is what we want. It's what the top sides always have. Both players have a lot to learn before either will be a top first grader.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 10:51 pm

Agree with Balmain Boy and Goldcoast Tiger.

Austin needs to be in the team, for our good and his own good to give him a regular position. I see his spot as a running centre providing he learns centre defence in the "Off Season". His defence is not that good and nowhere near as good as Moses. He is, as someone said a bit of a hog and likes to go himself (seen this many times when a try is on out wide to the Tigers detriment). Yes I know he scores tries, sometimes when we need them (which is all the time) but he is not playing our opposition by himself - it is a team game. We need a centre and he is it.

The spine is more important than anything else 1, 6, 7 and 9. Teddy, Moses, Brooks and Farah - this should not be touched - it is the spine for the next few years. Teddy and Farah are the best in their positions and Brooks is our main playmaker. This brings us to Moses - best prospect I have seen at the Tigers for 60 years. For his age he can pass both sides, good defender, reads the play well and has a good kicking game. In addition combines very well with Brooks and Teddy (Farah to come). Don't like the idea of bringing a youngster up too early (but we have) - there is nothing he is going to learn in lower grades or anyone there to teach him anything. So he should be playing and combining with the players in the NRL.

I think Austin could develop into a first class centre if he wants to - if not let us not stand in his way. A true Tiger will play anywhere that benefits the team. By the way he is not a lock IMO.

Tigers4ever

Post by Tigers4ever » Thu 09 Oct, 2014 1:56 am

I hope JT agrees with most Tiger supporters about Blake. Will be interesting to see.....fingers crossed. :D

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu 09 Oct, 2014 6:23 am

I think Blake is a Gidley style player. Great passion and heart, pretty good ability, but as much as he might not want to be a utility, there will usually be more stylish players around preventing him from locking in a position.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:44 am

Tigers4ever wrote:I hope JT agrees with most Tiger supporters about Blake. Will be interesting to see.....fingers crossed. :D
What has JT got to do with it ? Mayer agreed to Austin going to Canberra before JT got here.

Ohh I see the grub can now blame JT...good thinking.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:48 am

Irvine wrote:
Tigers4ever wrote:I hope JT agrees with most Tiger supporters about Blake. Will be interesting to see.....fingers crossed. :D
What has JT got to do with it ? Mayer agreed to Austin going to Canberra before JT got here.

Ohh I see the grub can now blame JT...good thinking.
Actually Irvine , Mayer said the complete opposite

He said he had a contract and would see it out

thesquid

Post by thesquid » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 1:39 am

This is strange. Before and after picture. Austin has been taken out, Photo Shopped out of the image.

Before

After

More
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 14ylz.html

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 6:47 am

that's not real good, poor form from the club

wtfl1981

Post by wtfl1981 » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 7:20 am

Why would they not hold onto a reasonable playmaker pending injuries of 2015

Posted using RoarFEED
WESTS TIGERS FOR LIFE!