Blake Austin in 2015

alex

Re: Blake Austin in 2015

Post by alex » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 9:10 am

I hope Austin is our starting five-eighth next season. He's outperformed Moses in every aspect of the game.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 9:19 am

alex wrote:I hope Austin is our starting five-eighth next season. He's outperformed Moses in every aspect of the game.

I think you will spend the summer and winter hoping...Unless Mosses breaks a leg he will be starting at #6 next year...Austin's best shot at a regular starting position is centre...and I for one hope he gets a crack at centre....he could turn out to be a very good one...with his excellent running game.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:06 am

The issue with the photo is most likely a Photoshop fail by the club's marketing department. Wouldn't be the first time they'd screwed something up...

The two photos are actually quite different. The membership one has everyone with hand on heart looking focused, the other one has the last four players looking in different directions. I'd say they wanted the pic to be more uniform so they merged the two pics together and maybe Austin got lost in the cropping process due to a lack of detail.

Mayer has said it's up to JT about Austin. JT has said he'd like him to stay, but hasn't spoken to him one on one yet. Fair enough too as he hasn't had a training session yet so obviously he'd have to see them all together and form his own opinions based on what he sees..!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 1:59 pm

Blake Austin removed from Wests Tigers photo, raising doubts about his future

Date
October 12, 2014

Jon Tuxworth
Sports reporter at The Canberra Times

New Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor says that overhauling his football department is his immediate priority and he is yet to meet with Canberra Raiders target Blake Austin to discuss his future at the club.

The tug-of-war for Austin's services between the two clubs took a new twist when the utility was seemingly removed from a team photo promoting the Tigers' 2015 membership campaign.

Austin features in the original image taken by Getty Images before the round 19 clash with Canterbury this year, but is absent in the reproduced picture on the front of the Tigers' membership brochure released this week.

The Tigers utility sought a release from the final year of his contract to join the Raiders on a multiyear deal from next year when sacked coach Mick Potter was in charge.

Asked for comment on Sunday, Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said via text: "I'm not making any comment regarding a membership brochure. It was designed three weeks ago. If you have any questions regarding players, JT [Taylor] is your man."

The apparent decision to remove Austin from the photo, before Taylor was officially announced as coach a fortnight ago, at least raises more doubt about his future at the club.

Reports on Sunday said Taylor has already begun a cleanout by sacking club legends Steve Roach, Paul Sironen and John Skandalis from the Tigers coaching staff.

Canberra is keen to bolster its halves ranks and have offered the 23-year-old an attractive deal to try to establish himself as an NRL five-eighth.

Taylor said he is yet to meet with Austin, one of the Tigers best this year in a disappointing season despite being on a second-tier contract.

"I haven't even though about that, to be honest," Taylor said on Sunday.

"Things are happening really fast, but I'm working hard on getting my staff organised, and that's my priority at the moment.

"I haven't even though about that sort of thing."

Austin has filled a utility role with the Tigers, but is keen to establish himself as an NRL half.

He starred in 19 games this year, but is resigned to playing back-up to prodigious Tigers youngsters Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks in the playmaking positions.

Canberra would be keen to have the issue resolved before the first grade squad begins pre-season training on October 29.

Raiders skipper and five-eighth Terry Campese was dropped to NSW Cup for the final few games of the year, while halfback Sam Williams will return to the club on a two-year deal.

Young halfback Mitch Cornish started the final two games against the Tigers and Parramatta, which Canberra both won, after he was eased into first grade off the bench.

Canberra has been linked to out-of-favour Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman, who was told by the Broncos earlier this month he was free to negotiate with other clubs.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart returned from a holiday in Hawaii over the weekend, and it is believed the club was waiting for his return before discussing whether to pursue Hoffman.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 2:06 pm

Damn.

Posted using RoarFEED

tig4ever

Post by tig4ever » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 2:39 pm

alex wrote:I hope Austin is our starting five-eighth next season. He's outperformed Moses in every aspect of the game.
Austin is an individual player who could only dream of having half the ability of Moses. Do yourself a favour Alex & watch Moses carefully next year. You cannot teach what this kid has, you are born with it. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion Alex.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 4:51 pm

Just saw the image in question. He's clearly in the original but not in the same photo used for membership. Not sure why he would be cut out except people in the know, know he won't be here. Shame.

Posted using RoarFEED

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:02 pm

If there is one thing which I unhappy with the club at the moment is their reluctance to tell supporters anything about whether or not (i) they want to keep Austin and (ii) they have enough money to buy a quality player (centre or second row) for 2015.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:19 pm

why would they take him out of the photo??
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Majere77

Post by Majere77 » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:30 pm

Newtown wrote:If there is one thing which I unhappy with the club at the moment is their reluctance to tell supporters anything about whether or not (i) they want to keep Austin and (ii) they have enough money to buy a quality player (centre or second row) for 2015.
What makes you think you are entitled to know? the club doesn't owe fans an explanation for anything.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 7:19 pm

Demps wrote:why would they take him out of the photo??
Why edit the Captain's video ?
Why offer a star player just over the minumim wage ?
Why have a coaching reveiew mid season ?
Why release players mid season ?

Why is Twitter my best friend...Why Why Why !

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 8:47 pm

Majere77 wrote:
Newtown wrote:If there is one thing which I unhappy with the club at the moment is their reluctance to tell supporters anything about whether or not (i) they want to keep Austin and (ii) they have enough money to buy a quality player (centre or second row) for 2015.
What makes you think you are entitled to know? the club doesn't owe fans an explanation for anything.
Agreed

Posted using RoarFEED
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 9:29 pm

Why would we bolster another team that will be fighting for a position in the Top 8

If they want Austin , we want compensation

Fensom or Croker

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:13 pm

dazza65 wrote:
Majere77 wrote:
Agreed

Posted using RoarFEED
Well, as far as Austin is concerned, Grant Mayer has said that it is up to the coach. The coach has said he has been too busy to even think about that at this stage, which is fair enough. That's point (i) answered. As far as point (ii) goes, do you really think that the club would be announcing its financial position on a fan forum? Hardly! Lastly, which quality centre, who is available, would you suggest.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:27 pm

Because you can't share this info with the fans without telling the whole world.

Posted using RoarFEED
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:31 pm

Majere77 wrote:
O.K then this whole forum should now stop putting up posts re possible expensive future players to WT because it is all fantasy if the club hasn't any money left to pay for them for at least a couple of more years..

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:32 pm

Its not really any of our business. Like the tool who tweeted Mayor demanding a time frame on Tedesco's contract negotiations. I know it sucks being kept in the dark, but supporters need to know their place. When the club has something to say, they'll say it.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:16 pm

Last edited by Newtown on Tue 14 Oct, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.