5%

Total votes: 38

Newtown

Re: Who should coach us in 2015

Post by Newtown » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 7:11 pm

Broncos reject front-runner for Tigers job
By Ian McCullough
17:03 AEST Wed Sep 17 2014

Former Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin has emerged as the early front-runner for the Wests Tigers job after Mick Potter was shown the door by the joint-venture club on Wednesday.

The Wests Tigers will begin their search for a third head coach in as many years with Potter's former assistant David Kidwell and the Tigers' under-20s chief Todd Payton also in the mix along with St Helens mentor Nathan Brown.

The decision not to renew the 50-year-old's contract brings the curtain down on a difficult stint for Potter who seemed to be fighting to save his job from the moment he was appointed in October 2012. Potter fronted the Tigers board last week to outline his plans but it wasn't enough to save him from the axe. "This has been a difficult decision for everyone involved but one the club believes is in the best interests of a successful future for Wests Tigers," .

Potter has maintained his dignity in admirable fashion throughout his turbulent tenure, played out amidst a back-drop of ownership and financial battles in the boardroom.

But ultimately just 17 victories from 48 games - a win ratio of less than 36 per cent - proved to be his downfall.

A slow start to his reign soon led to signs of disgruntlement amongst the Tigers squad with prop Aaron Woods claiming Potter was too intense and superstar playmaker Benji Marshall left fuming after being dumped to the bench for a clash with Souths. Marshall's ill-fated exit to New Zealand rugby gave Potter the chance to exert his influence to greater effect in his second season with a number of outstanding juniors making their mark in the NRL. Halfback Luke Brooks, fullback James Tedesco, back-rower Curtis Sironen and winger David Nofoaluma all flourished under Potter until injury ended their seasons. With the club giving him no guarantees about his future Potter fought manfully to keep his job.

But as the casualty list mounted so did the defeats and six straight losses almost certainly sealed his fate before Wednesday's less than surprising announcement.

MICK POTTER'S REIGN AT THE TIGERS

Appointed Oct 2012

Departed Sept 2014

Matches in charge: 48

Wins: 17

Losses: 31

Win percentage: 35.4

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:59 pm

Need to add Folkes to the poll. please.

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 12:17 am

My vote is with Griffin but after the treatment given to Mick Potter I feel my enthusiasm has waned.

Post by 851 » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 12:23 am

I voted Griffin,but Taylor or Brown would do,Payten and Kidwell can get the hell out,and Parish can stay the hell away if we want to move forward.
Go hard or go home

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 3:07 am

we are totally bare in football resources.

this hire isn't just about one man.
who will his team be.who are the assistants.
does he have connections to top tier conditioners and trainers for nrl level.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 5:33 am

I would have preferred that Potter got the same opportunities as his successor. However, I put Griffin's name up on here as the alternative, on or about the day Bennett back doored him, and nothing since has changed my mind.

Whoever is chosen, I hope they are able and are allowed to wield a big stick.

everett

Post by everett » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 6:48 am

Need experience so Griffin to me is the only choice.

Kidwell and Payten need to go as well as Potter.

Griffin should be allow to bring his own coaching staff.

Hopefully he can attract a couple of Broncos to follow him.

First task is to put Farah and his ego into line for the good of the team.

Lawrence and Galloway should be asked to move on to free up salary cap space plus IMO do not add any value to the team.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 8:44 am

I picked Taylor. Has a good football brain and could help bring on a halves pairing in it's infancy. Just keep him away from Mad Monday or any club piss ups.

All in all he's the best of a bad bunch. If I could have any coach I'd bring Ivan Cleary over.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Sep, 2014 8:52 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:I picked Taylor. Has a good football brain and could help bring on a halves pairing in it's infancy. Just keep him away from Mad Monday or any club piss ups.

All in all he's the best of a bad bunch. If I could have any coach I'd bring Ivan Cleary over.
The problem with this whole process is we will need a strong GM if you want a less inexperienced coach

If we find a strong and experienced GM , I have no issues with Taylor though

I personally think that I want our off field staff to be mentally strong and not bow to any players BS no matter what happens ,even if it means losing players

Get the mentality and the culture right and everything else will fall into place ala Penrith

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:55 pm

Plenty of speculation around about who is going to coach us..

Question is who would you like to see as our coach and what is your reasoning,what attributes will he bring to our team and club...

This is not a hard question,please can we have some civility,it is a discussion not an argument ....

:sign: :D :D
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:01 pm

Has to be ...... 1. FOLKES for me .......
These boys need to be tougher ( mentally and physically )

2. Griffin ... Still won't take crap but would have a slightly softer approach .

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:05 pm

My answer would be the coach must demand respect from the players through to management for a start,he must have a very good knowledge of the modern game and definitely be able to develope the young players and also encourage the senior players.questioning his decisions outside of the team boundaries is a definite no..He will have to hand pick S&C staff as well as coaching assistants,above all he would have to show a great amount of enthusiasm so as
It rubs off on the playing group ....just my thoughts anyone else care to have some input...cheers guys and girls.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:09 pm

Anthony Griffen for the following reasons;

1. Unlike Brown and Taylor he is mature and old enough to be seen as not "one of the boys".
2. Unlike Potter, and probably Brown he appears not to suffer fools.
3. He has shown that he can install great discipline and camaraderie among all players under his control.
4. He has proven that he is a good nurturer of young talent.
5. He is very likely to attract a number of very able Bronco players to Wests Tigers.
6. He is very likely to bring with him a very competent and proven coaching and support staff to replace our current staff who have had more than their fair share of chances.

goldtiger

Post by goldtiger » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 8:10 pm

newtown i could not have put it any better myself.
it would be a shame if the club didnt offer him the job. even if he saids no still worth a try and could be a stable coach for a number a years

Post by 851 » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:59 pm

goldtiger wrote:newtown i could not have put it any better myself.
it would be a shame if the club didnt offer him the job. even if he saids no still worth a try and could be a stable coach for a number a years
He won't say no,he applied for the job.
Go hard or go home

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 24 Sep, 2014 7:25 pm

Newtown wrote:Anthony Griffen for the following reasons;

1. Unlike Brown and Taylor he is mature and old enough to be seen as not "one of the boys".
2. Unlike Potter, and probably Brown he appears not to suffer fools.
3. He has shown that he can install great discipline and camaraderie among all players under his control.
4. He has proven that he is a good nurturer of young talent.
5. He is very likely to attract a number of very able Bronco players to Wests Tigers.
6. He is very likely to bring with him a very competent and proven coaching and support staff to replace our current staff who have had more than their fair share of chances.
Great post Newtown ,very logical views and probable the right choice at this stage with so much to gain and of course lose.