NSW Cup & NYC Teams this weekend

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24672
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: NSW Cup & NYC Teams this weekend

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 9:29 am

Match Report: NYC Trial vs Penrith

Brock Corfe

Sat 14th February, 10:59PM

Wests Tigers Under 20s have recorded a 16-14 trial match victory over the Penrith Panthers today in a see-sawing encounter at Windsor Park.

It was a scrappy affair in slippery conditions with a high error count from both sides; however the inexperienced Wests Tigers side put on a strong defensive display and ran in a four tries to three.

With a number of squad members still absent due to NSW Cup duties, players such as Jacob Liddle, JJ Felise, Pio Sokobolava and Blake Rickard stood up in what was a gritty win from the Brett Kimmorley coached outfit.

Unite. Commit. Achieve. Show your support in season 2015 by becoming a member today!
The Panthers were on the attack in the early stages of the match following back-to-back penalties; however the Wests Tigers’ defensive line held strong. They were rewarded soon after with a mistake from their opposition just 10 metres out from the try-line. Spreading it wide almost immediately, a hard-running Esan Masters, who started at right centre this week, burrowed his way through defenders to make it 4-0 after seven minutes.

Following on from the opening try of the game, Penrith held a strong advantage in terms of ball and field possession, something they eventually capitalised on in the 17th minute when halfback Soni Luke found a gap in the goal-line defence and strolled over next to the posts. Fullback Dylan Edwards converted the try and the Panthers hit the front with a 6-4 lead.

The rain started to fall at Windsor close to the first quarter break, making conditions quite slippery. This in turn resulted in plenty of dropped ball from both sides; however the Panthers continued to enjoy the majority of field position and launched numerous attacking raids on the Wests Tigers line. The defence eventually cracked in the 37th minute when Penrith’s interchange prop Thompson Tugamala crashed over from close range, with the home side going in to the half time break with a 10-4 lead.

Wests Tigers were first to trouble the scoreboard attendant in the second stanza with Junior Tatola running a great line on the left edge and linking up with Jacob Follent through a handy offload, with the playmaker bagging the four-pointer. No conversions were being attempted from Wests Tigers, so Penrith held a 10-8 lead after 47 minutes.

Just before the three-quarter interval, hooker Jacob Liddle - who looked dangerous all night - made another line-break up the middle through some tired defence and put Wests Tigers on the attack 10 metres out. A shift to the left found centre Ryland Jacobs, who stepped his way through and put his side in front 12-10 in the 60th minute of play.

Penrith kicked long from their own half in the 69th minute and with a good chase put plenty of pressure on Wests Tigers winger Makaere Bush who was unable to handle the ball. As a result, opposing flanker Fuimanau Enese scooped up the loose ball and strolled over to put his side back in front 14-12.

With just three minutes remaining on the clock, Wests Tigers had a great opportunity to snatch a late victory, and found a flying Obeid Kharwin who did well to ground the ball just inside the left corner post. Despite a late charge from the Panthers on the buzzer, Wests Tigers NYC held on for a solid 16-14 victory in their second trial match of 2015.

Wests Tigers Under 20s will have their next hit-out when they take on the Cronulla Sharks on February 21 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Tickets for that match are $12, with Wests Tigers Members gaining free entry on the day.

Wests Tigers 16 (Masters, Follent, Jacobs, Kharwin tries) defeated Penrith 14 (Luke, Tugamala, Enese tries; Edwards goal)

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015 ... c_tri.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..


User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24672
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 254 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 9:32 am

Match Report: NSW Cup Trial vs Penrith

Brock Corfe

Sat 14th February, 10:59PM
A A

047A6861
Wests Tigers NSW Cup have rounded out an impressive weekend of trial matches for the Club with a 22-8 victory over the Penrith Panthers tonight at Windsor Park.

The win comes on the back of the NRL side’s defeat of Parramatta in Alice Springs and the Under 20s 16-14 triumph over Penrith earlier in the program today.

The defensive efforts from Wests Tigers were a highlight of the match, with Asipeli Fine, Joel Luani and Andy Fiagatusa very impressive in the clinical performance.

Unite. Commit. Achieve. Show your support in season 2015 by becoming a member today!
Wests Tigers couldn’t capitalise on an early opportunity, with a promising shift to the left finding centre Marion Seve who stepped around one defender but lost control of the ball four metres from the line.

It was tough opening quarter to the game, with both sides putting on plenty of heavy tackles; however the scoreboard would remain untouched until the 27th minute when skipper Andy Fiagatusa ran a great line at speed and scored under the posts. The sharp passing game of Te Maire Martin was on show in the lead-up, with the playmaker converting the try for a 6-0 lead.

Soon after hooker Jacob Liddle, who impressed in the earlier match with the Under 20s, split the defence and found Te Maire Martin who threw a looping pass to John Sila, with the winger drawing in three defenders and offloading to Marion Seve who crossed in the corner for an exciting try. Martin couldn’t add the extras from the sideline; however Wests Tigers held a 10-0 lead after 34 minutes.

Penrith stuck back right on the stroke of half time with a slick backline move finished by winger Ratu Luke Nadurutalo who put the ball down acrobatically in the right corner. The conversion was waved away and Wests Tigers went into the sheds at half time leading 10-4.

Wests Tigers came out of the sheds fired up, getting on the front foot early in the half. Hooker Joel Luani showed a touch of class, finding Jordan Grant with a crisp ball and the prop forward crashed over for a try under the sticks. Martin made no mistake with the easy conversion, extending the lead to 16-4 after 47 minutes.

Penrith applied plenty of pressure to the Wests Tigers defence in the ensuing plays, however the line held strong for three consecutive sets of six in what was an impressive period of play defensively from Paul Fletcher’s side.

Tries weren’t coming through the middle for Penrith, so attempted the alternative with success, kicking cross-field to a flying Tala Mapesone who was able to get his side back into the game with a crafty four-pointer. The conversion was unsuccessful but Penrith were back in the match with Wests Tigers’ lead now cut to 16-8 after 59 minutes.

Points were hard to come by in the opening stages of the final quarter, that was until replacement halfback Eli Levido got away a nice offload to a barnstorming Salesi Funaki 35 metres out and the backrower went over for a quality four-pointer. Levido then added the conversion and Wests Tigers held a commanding 22-8 lead in the dying stages of the game.

Wests Tigers would hold that scoreline for the remainder of the game and will now look forward to a clash with Newtown next weekend at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015 ... w_cup.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4941
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:35 am

The NSW Cup side looks strong with plenty of players showing skill and robust defence, it seems we do have good depth to rely on in tough times...hope they have a very successful season.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5490
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:43 am

I heard about this Jacob Liddell last year and he seems to have hit the ground running with the Tigers in 2015.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2653
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 10:43 am

Luani really doesn't have a spot now. Cherrington NSW Cup hooker/NRL backup.

Liddle killing it already in NYC and NSW Cup. Hard to see Liddle stay too long with us unfortunately, but looks an excellent prospect.

A couple of really good solid wins for our juniors this weekend. Good on the NYC boys for coming back to win at the death. And the NSW Cup side showed a lot of grit in defence by the sounds of it. And with another 6 players to drop down to NSW Cup side they could do really well this season.


cochise
Member
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:42 pm
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cochise » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 6:36 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Luani really doesn't have a spot now. Cherrington NSW Cup hooker/NRL backup.

Liddle killing it already in NYC and NSW Cup. Hard to see Liddle stay too long with us unfortunately, but looks an excellent prospect.

A couple of really good solid wins for our juniors this weekend. Good on the NYC boys for coming back to win at the death. And the NSW Cup side showed a lot of grit in defence by the sounds of it. And with another 6 players to drop down to NSW Cup side they could do really well this season.
I attended the games on Saturday and quite enjoyed the nights footy, 20's played extremely flat in attack and I'd like to see them develop a little more shape to their attack. Overall a very good performance by both teams.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30318
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 7:56 pm

cochise wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:Luani really doesn't have a spot now. Cherrington NSW Cup hooker/NRL backup.

Liddle killing it already in NYC and NSW Cup. Hard to see Liddle stay too long with us unfortunately, but looks an excellent prospect.

A couple of really good solid wins for our juniors this weekend. Good on the NYC boys for coming back to win at the death. And the NSW Cup side showed a lot of grit in defence by the sounds of it. And with another 6 players to drop down to NSW Cup side they could do really well this season.
I attended the games on Saturday and quite enjoyed the nights footy, 20's played extremely flat in attack and I'd like to see them develop a little more shape to their attack. Overall a very good performance by both teams.
Not surprisingly that's how Kimmorley spent most of his career.

cochise
Member
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:42 pm
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cochise » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 8:34 pm

willow wrote:
cochise wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:Luani really doesn't have a spot now. Cherrington NSW Cup hooker/NRL backup.

Liddle killing it already in NYC and NSW Cup. Hard to see Liddle stay too long with us unfortunately, but looks an excellent prospect.

A couple of really good solid wins for our juniors this weekend. Good on the NYC boys for coming back to win at the death. And the NSW Cup side showed a lot of grit in defence by the sounds of it. And with another 6 players to drop down to NSW Cup side they could do really well this season.
I attended the games on Saturday and quite enjoyed the nights footy, 20's played extremely flat in attack and I'd like to see them develop a little more shape to their attack. Overall a very good performance by both teams.
Not surprisingly that's how Kimmorley spent most of his career.
Yep exactly what I was thinking on Saturday night. I'm hoping to see a little more shape this weekend though ith hopefully a stronger lineup.

Post Reply

Return to “Season 2015 - Offseason, Preseason and Trials”