Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 254 times

Match Preview: NRL Trial vs. Eels

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 1:52 pm

Match Preview: NRL Trial vs. Eels

Dan Talintyre
Thu 12th February, 07:02AM
A A

Wests Tigers Head Coach Jason Taylor will get his first look at his side this Friday night when the Club takes on the Parramatta Eels in an NRL trial match.

Having played both NSW Cup and NYC trials last weekend against the Eels, Wests Tigers have named a strong 22-man squad for the match against Brad Arthur’s men, with a strong starting side expected to take the field in Alice Springs.

Four Nations representatives Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah, Tim Simona, Sauaso Sue and Martin Taupau have all been named in the starting side, while young guns Mitchell Moses and Curtis Sironen have also been named in the team for Friday's match.

While the match won’t carry the same significance that a regular NRL match would, Taylor said that there was marked increase in the energy and intensity of training this week as the team prepares for their first hit-out of 2015.

“There’s been a real lift in energy this week,” he said earlier in the week.

“The boys know there’s a game around the corner and they’ve really gotten excited about it, which is great to see from my point of view.

“We’re not too concerned about the result itself — winning or losing isn’t what we’re up here to do. We have our goals that we want to see from the match, and for many of these boys, it’s about just getting good minutes into their legs and really executing some of the new things we’ve been working on at training.

Farah, who will captain the side on Friday, said that the involvement of many young players in the Club was a driving factor behind the increased energy.

“I think one of the biggest reasons there’s such a buzz and energy around the Club at the moment is these young guys being in the team,” he said.

“They’re always so happy to be at training and really putting their best in all the time, and that makes some of the older guys like myself want to keeping trying to do the same.

“In addition to having guys like Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks [who won’t play this week due to his selection in the NRL All Stars team], we’ve also had a number of our 20’s guys come up to our squad this year — some of them we’ve got here with us in Manaia Cherrington, Delouise Hoeter and Lamar Liolevave. Those guys have really adjusted well to being in an NRL environment more, and they’ve looked really good throughout pre-season so far.”

Playing for the Royal Flying Doctors’ Service Cup at ANZAC Oval in Alice Springs, the match itself will be played in four 20-minute quarters in order to combat the heat, which is still expected to be above 30-degrees at the 7:40pm kickoff.

Date — Friday, February 13

Time — 7:40pm kickoff local time (9:10pm AEDT)

Venue — ANZAC Oval, Alice Springs

Confirmed Squads
Wests Tigers

Robbie Farah (capt.), Nathan Brown, Jack Buchanan, Manaia Cherrington, Josh Drinkwater, Keith Galloway, Dene Halatau, Delouise Hoeter, Chris Lawrence, Lamar Liolevave, Kyle Lovett, Shannon McDonnell, Mitchell Moses, Kevin Naiqama, Pat Richards, Brenden Santi, Ava Seumanufagai, Tim Simona, Curtis Sironen, Sauaso Sue, Martin Taupau, Aaron Woods.
Parramatta Eels

Tim Mannah (capt.), Isaac De Gois, David Gower, Darcy Lussick, Cody Nelson, Pauli Pauli, Peni Terepo, Danny Wicks, Richie Fa’aoso, Ryan Morgan, Vai Toutai, Adam Quinlan, Halauafu Lavaka, Beau Champion, Ryan Matterson, Joseph Ualesi, John Folau, Ben Crooks, Fabian Goodall, Zach Dockar-Clay, Junior Paulo, Joseph Aloiai, Luke Kelly.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015 ... rl_tr.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 1:54 pm

Good Interview with Taylor and some vision of training....worth a view
Ivan's Laws

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 3:39 pm

Watched the interview this afternoon,agree with GEO,really worth a look....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

jirskyr
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 3:56 pm

For mine, Hoeter and Lovett are long-shots to play grade this year, unless we are decimated by injury. Rest of the juniors are up there.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:10 pm

The only thing I will say about this squad, without being at all negative..is that JT has had the whole squad to work with less the rehab boys,so in my opinion unless people have been to all the training sessions we don't know what he has been experimenting with players in different positions,I may be completely wrong but if say player X is a fullback or centre then maybe he is looking to use them as a duel depth player or play Y could be a front rower but could also be used in the backrow,once again for depth purposes..
I really don't know...just having a guess...I will say with the youth we certainly have some talent to unleash....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:39 pm

Look a question

Is the Foundation Cup dead and buried ?? At least we could of waited until we had won it and then said "Yeah Nah "

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:Look a question

Is the Foundation Cup dead and buried ?? At least we could of waited until we had won it and then said "Yeah Nah "

It's played for during the regular season now Hap....
Ivan's Laws

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 5:11 pm

We’re not too concerned about the result itself — winning or losing isn’t what we’re up here to do........". jason taylor

I'll take the above with a grain of salt - can you imagine running onto the park not caring whether you win or lose. It's unheard of.

For example - Parra has just run in their 7th try. Now would Robbie be saying A. at least we're getting in a good run - how do ya legs feel? OR B, Gee - we can't play like this next week - what's happening out there boys?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 5:32 pm

Trial results do mean nothing....In 2005 we were smashed in all 3 trials and won the comp....In 2012 we smashed Parra at Cambo and won the other against the sharks in Gosford.....look how that Year ended....

It is about getting Match Fitness working on Combinations and structure you have been working on in training under match conditions...It is also about fringe players to put their hand up for selection come Rd 1...and most importantly NO INJURIES

When the big show starts ....the scores will count for squat...
Ivan's Laws

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 5:49 pm

Agreed. Of course i would prefer that we win, but as said its about combos and trying people out and guving peeps a run. As long as we dont get reamed by 50 it doesnt really matter.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.1.7

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 6:04 pm

You forget the seven previous tries and focus on not letting in the next one, set by set with the defensive drills theyve been working on.... I cant see an offseasons worth of work being scrapped because 40 points are put on us...tweaked yes maybe but not scrapped....the players just have to buy into the gameplans....in attack as well...it will take time time time

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 7:17 pm

Geo. wrote:Trial results do mean nothing....In 2005 we were smashed in all 3 trials and won the comp....In 2012 we smashed Parra at Cambo and won the other against the sharks in Gosford.....look how that Year ended....

It is about getting Match Fitness working on Combinations and structure you have been working on in training under match conditions...It is also about fringe players to put their hand up for selection come Rd 1...and most importantly NO INJURIES

I'm not talking about trial results but rather state of mind
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 7:27 pm

Geo. wrote:Trial results do mean nothing....In 2005 we were smashed in all 3 trials and won the comp....In 2012 we smashed Parra at Cambo and won the other against the sharks in Gosford.....look how that Year ended....

The main thing I want to see is confidence in JT's defensive patterns

That's what will get us in the 8 if we are going to make it

Winnipeg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Winnipeg » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:18 pm

Where's Funaki?

Injured or left out?

Safe to say he will be a step behind Liolavave debuting in 1sts?

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:30 pm

Winnipeg wrote:Where's Funaki?

Injured or left out?

Safe to say he will be a step behind Liolavave debuting in 1sts?
Named in the State Cup side to play the Panthers...
Ivan's Laws

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 8:34 am

It's time to have a prediction of the final result:
it will be:
wests-tigers 25
eels 18 :D
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 8:53 am

Trials starting. Footy season's just around the corner. Whoohoo :D

NT Tiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 9:52 am

I hope the medical team is right on top of hydration and electrolyte balances. They will need to be if it is as hot as predicted.
"Quality Stupidity"

Return to “Season 2015 - Offseason, Preseason and Trials”