Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Mateship on hold for Buchanan

Unread post by willow » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 8:32 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

Mateship on hold for Buchanan

Dan Talintyre
Thu 12th February, 03:22PM

They say one of the best things about rugby league is playing with your mates.

And while Wests Tigers forward Jack Buchanan won’t be short of friends when he takes the field in Alice Springs on Friday for the Club’s trial match against the Parramatta Eels, there’s a certain mate he’s desperate to stop in his tracks.

“Yeah, I’m pretty close with Adam Quinlan,” laughed Buchanan after finishing a tough training session in the Alice Springs heat.

“We grew up together playing out junior footy down at Culburra on the South Coast.

"We’ve played together every year since we were seven years old and that, so we’ve got to know each other’s games pretty well and stay pretty tight.

“If I get the chance to play directly against him at all, there’ll definitely be a bit of sledging going on. It’s good to play against your mates.

"I caught up with him a bit at the airport and it’s good to joke around but once you get on the field, you don’t have any other mates other than the guys that are on your team.

“For the time that I’m on there, I won’t be cheering him at all. But once that siren goes, we’ll catch up and have a laugh I’m sure.”

Both products of the Culburra Dolphins, Buchanan said it was great to see both players from the junior club — along with Dragons outside back Dylan Farrell — in the NRL to help put the tiny town from the NSW South Coast on the map.

“Dylan Farrell was the first from our Club to make it,” said Buchanan.

“He obviously had a great debut for Souths, and then me and Adam came soon after, so we haven’t had a game yet where we’ll all running around.

“It’s just so good to see us all doing well in the NRL now.

“Culburra is such a small town and there’s a lot of talent across a lot of sports including rugby league and surfing, and it’s just really good to see your best mates doing what they love and achieving their dreams.

Seemingly along way from the cool sea breeze of Culburra as he cooled down at ANZAC Oval, Buchanan said he was looking forward to taking the field at Alice Springs this Friday night as the team looks to put into practice their efforts throughout pre-season training.

“I can’t wait to get out there again,” he said.

“The Nines was really good; it was a great experience, but I’m looking forward to being in this game now with more of an NRL feel and really put into practice all those things that JT’s been teaching us over pre-season.

“He’s brought a lot here, so I’m excited to see how it all goes once we run out “

“I think the biggest thing that will help us in this heat is our pack.

“It’s massive, which can really help you dominate a game and tire out an opponent, which I guess will be made worse in the heat.

“Our pack [this year] is the biggest since I’ve been here, without a doubt, and you have a look at some of those younger guys coming through such as Dallas Graham, Matt Lodge and Lamar Liolevave — these kids are really strong, so it’s got us in a good place for the years ahead. “

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 397 times

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:03 pm

Buchanan was a standout for mine in the nines...really looks to have worked on his leg drive after contact...if he continues to improve he will provide good depth should Injuries strike the pigs

Props are often late bloomers...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:21 pm

well looks like he's improved on last season - so that's a good start
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:42 pm

I think maybe Buchanan went into the 2014 Season a bit to complacent after the solid Season he put in for us in 2013 and maybe got a bit lazy in his training , hence why he didn't feature much last year.
But going of the 9's ? seems like his got a real spring on his step and is wanting a spot in JT's side.

Besides his of Contract at the end of the year , that alone should be enough motivation to have a big year.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 11:21 pm

Was very good in the nines. Will play first grade this year at some stage, if his form continues.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 11:40 pm

Geo. wrote:Buchanan was a standout for mine in the nines...really looks to have worked on his leg drive after contact...if he continues to improve he will provide good depth should Injuries strike the pigs

Props are often late bloomers...
Very true , but did get found out a twice v the Roosters up the middle by the quick guys

Up to that game he was our best player in my opinion

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by willow » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 8:35 pm

Yep, he definitely looks fit and based on what I saw in the 9's he certainly didn't get stopped in his tracks when he hit the ball up. Hopefully he has an improved season but he is off contract so he has plenty to play for.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 205 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:09 pm

Wonder if he's overtaken Lodge in the pecking order

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 397 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:12 pm

He was huge in the Trial...could have
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:30 pm

I remember Buchanan being a real surprise packet when he first turned up here, but I reckon he got ruined after that first season, where he had to shoulder a lot of the responsibility up front, at a very young age, due to injuries. It left him very flat last season. Hopefully he can bounce back again for us this year - the early signs are looking promising.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Return to “Season 2015 - Offseason, Preseason and Trials”