Wests Tigers team v Sharks

pHyR3

Re: Wests Tigers team v Sharks

Unread post by pHyR3 » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:55 pm

jirskyr wrote:Two things.

#1 - has anyone given thought that despite all the complaints about Lawrence and Galloway, this is the 3rd successive coach to name them as first-choice? It tells me that we don't have better options in the squad, and future complaints are futile until we unearth a better option, or current management gets to do more recruiting. I suppose the same argument goes for Shannon Mac, who despite being custard, gets another life.

#2 - some people are bemoaning this side, but I don't think Potter or Sheens would have run out a different line up. I think it's the best we've got, and if you think that it is a substandard side, then best not get your hopes too high for 2015.

The real question is what can JT get out of this squad, even if it is arguably inferior to 2014. I'd rather a decent performing team of nuffies than a team full of names who don't deliver.
add sironen in there as well.

experience and leadership is essential, just look at our win/loss with and without braith for example, brooks often looked lost without him in my opinion.

youll get some injuries in the season, ample time to blood lamar, nathan brown, seve, cherrington or whoever looks ready during that origin period. no need to do it in round 1.

the entire coaching staff (3 successive lots of em) definitely know a lot more than some pretenders, including myself, on the internet.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:40 am

pHyR3 wrote:

#1 - has anyone given thought that despite all the complaints about Lawrence and Galloway, this is the 3rd successive coach to name them as first-choice? It tells me that we don't have better options in the squad, and future complaints are futile until we unearth a better option, or current management gets to do more recruiting. I suppose the same argument goes for Shannon Mac, who despite being custard, gets another life.

#2 - some people are bemoaning this side, but I don't think Potter or Sheens would have run out a different line up. I think it's the best we've got, and if you think that it is a substandard side, then best not get your hopes too high for 2015.

The real question is what can JT get out of this squad, even if it is arguably inferior to 2014. I'd rather a decent performing team of nuffies than a team full of names who don't deliver.
add sironen in there as well.

experience and leadership is essential, just look at our win/loss with and without braith for example, brooks often looked lost without him in my opinion.

youll get some injuries in the season, ample time to blood lamar, nathan brown, seve, cherrington or whoever looks ready during that origin period. no need to do it in round 1.

the entire coaching staff (3 successive lots of em) definitely know a lot more than some pretenders, including myself, on the internet.
Biggest concern in that time is we haven't found anyone better than the two mentioned

Tiger In The Gong

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 6:47 am

I think if you support Taylor and the new structures he has put into place then you really need to sit on your opinion of players untill you see how they respond to the new system.

We all know that players like Sue and Sirronen would be much further ahead in their development if they had of been placed with a top 4 club with a strong culture and proven structure.

I expect big years from both given natural progression but the unknown is how much the new system improves their game. You would think given its a trial people would have a little patience.

Tiger In The Gong

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 6:59 am

14. Ava Seumanufagai
15. Matthew Lodge
16. Martin Taupau

This is our strength in 2015

With a little improvement in each player these guys would have to be pretty close to the best bench in the game.

Snake
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Snake » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 7:07 am

One of the only reasons that Lawerance and Galloway are selected is the size of the salary cap that they take up! 600 k per season reggies starters?
I predict some upheaval in the not to distant future with these two. It will be interesting to see the reaction when the axe falls.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 7:15 am

We know we don't have the budget to improve the player roster this year and we know why, so to that extent it will be same-old, same-old. By necessity, the old 'experienced' heads will be there in the mix.

One big difference is that at least on external appearance Wests Tigers off field structure now has all of the elements required for success. This includes a new S&C dept, and a very shrewd coach with a plan that the players say they are buying into.

NRL is a team sport. If Jason Taylor's plan successfully identifies combinations in attack and potential chinks in defence and improves overall team synergy then the players that some like to classify as plodders or liabilities won't be as significant. This trial game is one step in that direction.

For me, I'm just looking forward to seeing how Shabooboo goes.
"Quality Stupidity"

OutbackJack
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by OutbackJack » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 8:04 am

king sirro wrote:Very ordinary team
Hope it changes for round one
Better get used to it then .. it won't improve during the year.

Coasttiger

Unread post by Coasttiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 8:17 am

It's a trial and like any coach JT is going to give the old heads first shot to lock down their spot.

Let's give them all a chance over the trials and first 4-6 rounds before we start writing em off etc.

I for one am excited about where we seem to be heading in and off the park and I don't expect miracles this year.

I would however like to see how we go with JT's structures and how competitive that makes us week in and week out for 26 rounds.

You can only use the cattle you have now and I'm sure their is a strategy going forward to recruit in the positions we are weakest in.

What I am looking for this year is a positive change in culture across the club.

That will make 2015 a good season as far as I am concerned so we set ourselves up for the next few years to be a consistently successful club.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 9:37 am

Would or Could it be safe to assume that if we see three names missing they are the players with Hep A ??

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 9:39 am

I dont have a problem with the run on side

The coach cant through youngsters in every spot.

To all the Keyboard Warriors - Relax and back of the bagging out.

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:18 pm

Thats a pretty simplistic way of looking at it. Maybe the fans get annoyed because these types of players have led us to 3 straight bottom half finishes.

Maybe there big salaries are big reason they remain in First grade. And maybe the fact that these big salaries don't allow us room to recruit players to replace them is another reason. Plus the issues we have had with second tier salary cap.

On performances Lawrence is lucky to be in 1st grade. I have less of a problem with Galloway although i thought he was sluggish last year.

bp tiger
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by bp tiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:42 pm

HOW THE HELL DOES SIRRO GET A STARTING SPOT, thought Jt would pick on form not on who started last year, if he keeps picking crap he will lose the fans quick smart.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:53 pm

bp tiger wrote:HOW THE HELL DOES SIRRO GET A STARTING SPOT, thought Jt would pick on form not on who started last year, if he keeps picking crap he will lose the fans quick smart.
Comes down to opinion. I have no dramas with Sirro starting. Neither does JT it would seem.

phil1986
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by phil1986 » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:55 pm

bp tiger wrote:HOW THE HELL DOES SIRRO GET A STARTING SPOT, thought Jt would pick on form not on who started last year, if he keeps picking crap he will lose the fans quick smart.
In the members Q and A JT said he was after 80min backrowers. He mentioned sirro, sue and liolivarve.

bp tiger
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by bp tiger » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 1:26 pm

phil1986 wrote:
In the members Q and A JT said he was after 80min backrowers. He mentioned sirro, sue and liolivarve.

yes sirro can play for 80 min or 120min very easy when u do nothing, hes a waste of space, but i hope JT can get him going in the right direction.

tsjonathan
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 1:58 pm

Have the NSW Cup/NYC teams been announced?

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 3:09 pm

i'd like to see Sirro play long minutes in the trail. If he's not at 100% then hook him. He has the talent and size. I'd like to have seen Lamar Liolevave in the side and Taupau at 13. Other than that, i'm happy with the side.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by king sirro » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 5:08 pm

I wonder if JT is anticipating a throwback to 05 with these rules about speeding up the play the ball. Could be the reason Halatau is at lock. I've made no secret that I don't rate Dene as a player, but he is a very good dummy half runner, and if the play the ball area is lightning quick then he will have an field day scooting out of there off the back of Woods and Farah.

So I've decided to keep an open mind......for now. But one lazy defensively lapse for Halatau and I'll jump back on the anti wagon
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Return to “Season 2015 - Offseason, Preseason and Trials”