Worrying signs

foreveratiger

Re: Worrying signs

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:14 am

underdog wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Several people. Clearly you haven't read much of what was being said on here during the week.

Turn negatives into positives as much as you like, it won't change the reality of where we're at.
I was one of those people.

I thought the Gold Coast would fold and roll over to be honest. They really took it to the tigers all game, and punched well above their weight.

I also said when the Titans named their side that they have the kind of nobodies we have to the casual fan. We know our lads are good, but no one else does. I sat In front of a one eyed Titans supporter last night, who sounded EXACTLY like we all do pumping up his fringe players - "oh Lachlan Burr is one to watch, he did xyz playing for xyz team" just sounded so familiar.... ??

I'm summary the Titans put in 100%. Our lot put in about 80% And got away with it. Bring on the Dragons.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
I think we were very complacent , we put it on when we had to but it was wasn't an 80 minute effort .
Titans never stopped trying , worked there socks off and when your at a game you see everything on the field than you would at home .
Let's just say will take the win .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:24 am

More upside in Wests than Gold Coast. One could argue Bird and Taylor will have a negative effect on the Titans if/when they return.

Defence won the match and the team should be happy with their efforts. Some players have clearly done some work over the season and some holes have been plugged namely Moses, Brooks and Sironen. Moses took out that front rower close to the line about 3 times before he did score and that try was mainly due to us not having numbers. Brooks did some great shots close to the line.

With confidence in our defence, I watched the match with the expectation our attack would finally overhaul the lead. Attack was where we looked rusty and it was all about timing and this always happens in the early rounds - we made some good plays with forward passes. Interesting though that Taylor has Brooks and Moses on either side of the field. Perhaps that may change over the course of the season as I understand these two players have a good combination.

Our finish to the match was clinical. Gold Coast had two or three cracks to get the FG, we had one set and closed it out. Very professional.

In summary, the Gold Coast team turned up, played with emotion and a young team came away with the win. Can't ask for much more.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:28 am

The old we only won cause the opposition was crap....never gets old...

Of corse it's impossible to tell how you would go against another team cause we didn't play them,,,,no one gave us a chance in the first Souffs and Manly games last year either...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:38 am

I dunno GNR, I don't think you can use the "we were meant to smash them" excuse in the NRL anymore, especially in round 1. A wins a win these days.

You're right in the sense that if we dropped that much ball and gave away all those penalties against the Rabbits, we would've lost easily but it was round 1 so the rustiness was to be expected, it's been a feature of every game so far. We were just lucky to face the titans in round 1 and get away with the 2 points despite being rusty. That doesn't mean there were worrying signs.

Despite the errors and penalties I was actually impressed with what the team was "trying" to do. You can see enough combinations building to say that we have definitely improved on last year.

I actually think that the Brooks/Sironen combination will develop into a Cronk-Hoffman like one once their reading of the defence and timing develops a little further. Our defence was much more improved and able to withhold pressure for 2-3 sets on our line and I saw some attacking structure that will undoubtedly improve as the rounds progress.

I think apart from Robbie everyone else had a solid game. To say that Robbie was our worst performer yet we still one the game is a MASSIVE improvement on years gone by.

Apart from the errors and penalties I didn't see a feature of our game that could be classified as a worrying sign and that's just early season rust.

Put it this way, I'd be a lot more worried if I was a Broncos, Warriors, Cowboys, Manly fan and people were tipping them to make the top 8. It's round 1, you take the points anyway you can get them in the first few weeks and build as the season goes on.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

willow

Post by willow » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:38 am

Not worried about last night at all to be honest. This is a young side which will have its ups and downs and is still learning to adapt to the new structure implemented by Taylor. Plenty of room for improvement.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:41 am

I saw a very committed and fired up Gold Coast take full advantage of generous refereeing decisions and appalling completions by the Tigers.

We would have bled 50 points with last years defence.

Be interesting to see how Drinkwater goes next week. He was out best half in pre season.

Post by 2041 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:57 am

There are some people on here who, in my opinion, need to sit down and think hard about what having a team full of promising young players really means. It's all well and good paying lip service to the idea that we'll be inconsistent and shouldn't expect too much too soon, but if you then turn round after a performance like yesterday and say "ooh we're terrible, we'll get flogged by a good team" then you're clearly not understanding what's going on at the club.

What I saw yesterday was hugely encouraging. The defence was streets better than it has been. Some players we absolutely need to have good seasons looked capable of delivering - specifically Sironen and Tapau. The back line coped admirably with having a debutant playing out of position at short notice. The front row rotation looked very strong indeed. Sure, the spine didn't really fire. Hardly surprising when three-quarters of it is barely past school age and it's never taken the field together in first grade.

The way I see it, the Titans were maxed out at 18 points, despite having lots of ball and some very helpful penalty calls. With a few more balls sticking we could have had 40.

What does it mean for the season? Well, injuries notwithstanding more or less what I hoped for: we'll beat some good teams, take a couple of hammerings, put lots of points on a few and struggle to beat teams we ought to have covered. This is what inconsistency means, and with the roster we have it's inevitable. We're building: for the first time in years I actually believe it.

Shaggytiger

Post by Shaggytiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:13 am

I've been following these guys too long to be disappointed with a win. In previous similar situations where we were red hot favourites I've lost count at how many times we have been rolled.
Sure our attack lacked polish but will get better as the season progresses, especially if we can keep the same combinations on the field each week but I can't knick the guys commitment last night. Showed plenty of ticker and cool heads in that final set to win the game and I for one was yeehaaing and fist pumping when Patty slotted that field goal.
No, I'm not disappointed at all and can't wait for next weeks game. Who knows, we just might do it again!!
Don't worry if plan "A" fails. There are 25 more letters in the alphabet!!

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:27 am

Tony 33, 2041, Willow and a few others seem to me to be totally on the mark. Almost thought I had written 2041's post myself - beat me by a whisker.

GNR says that heaps of people on here thought we would put 40 points on them. Do these people know anything about RL, was it just wishful thinking or did they figure "if I say it then it will happen".

These are the type of games we traditionally lose. Other teams in trouble, injuries etc. or when we have someone playing 200 games, retirement after 15 years etc. In the past when these scenarios happen you could've bet your bottom dollar we were going to get beat and usually flogged. Forty indeed - I had more chance of getting away with Angelina.

I am not trying to turn negatives into positives - don't need to. As Jack would say "They did good". Away game, in the heat, last minute replacement, some poor decisions by the Refs and a lack of timing in attack due to the amount of time spent on defence.

JT has pulled everything back to basics and that pretty much is what you get until you get it right and then expand to include attack.

We all talked about "Rocks and diamonds", being patient, seeing what each could do and then change things for the betterment of the team. What happened to those thoughts?

They play last night and do a good job under the circumstances and get a serve from at least half the people on here. "Oh! they need to improve next week", " Can't see them making better than half way up the table", "They'll get flogged by the Pride of the League" - Hello - you didn't know that before last nights game?

It is going to be a bumpy ride - oil up your shock absorbers,

In essence most people need to lower their expectations and take their head out of the clouds.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:29 am

We're building: for the first time in years I actually believe it.

Like this.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:32 am

We are going to need plenty of patience cause there is no doubt we are a young side lacking some experience out there .
But i do believe in time we will come good.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:34 am

Short term pain for long time gain perhaps.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:01 am

I have rarely seen a Titans team collapse, so I don't see why anyone would expect it to happen playing against a team of 20 year olds

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:04 am

all 10 teams would've had worrying signs in round 1 (probs souths excluded).

we're playing with a new spine, young forward pack and under a new coach. we were rusty.

our on the line defense was amazing and that's where we have struggled in the past. our defensive pattern seems better than it was last year.. they did go through the middle at times but we defended them soundly otherwise.

there shouldn't be any excuses for the dropped ball though and hope taylor gives them a spray for that.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:20 am

When the passes start sticking and they stop spilling the lollies, we'll go a long way to improving in attack.

There's things to work on, but we saw glimpses of what they are capable of last night. There was a 10-15 minute period where everything clicked for us. We need a few rounds for the kids to get their game together. I feel this might happen quicker if we jag another win or two, they'll be brimming with confidence.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:37 am

Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:I know a win is a win, but its worrying knowing that the only side you probably would have beaten in the comp was the team you played. I know everyone is going to try and turn negatives into positives, but lets review our expectations pre-game. We all were gunning for a drubbing, not just a win. They had 4 or 5 key players out, and with it being round 1, there was going to be no let up from us. We were extremely lucky, we relied on good fortune more than skill. We'll have to improve a hell of a lot, even against the Dragons next week, cos they will shape as stiffer competition than the Titans imo. Plus, we'll be doing it without Moses.
How were we 'extremely lucky'? We got the raw end of the stick from the ref's with both forward passes and stripped balls
Considering we had a player that should have been sent off, i think that makes up for the rotten calls we got.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:47 am

2041 wrote:There are some people on here who, in my opinion, need to sit down and think hard about what having a team full of promising young players really means. It's all well and good paying lip service to the idea that we'll be inconsistent and shouldn't expect too much too soon, but if you then turn round after a performance like yesterday and say "ooh we're terrible, we'll get flogged by a good team" then you're clearly not understanding what's going on at the club.

What I saw yesterday was hugely encouraging. The defence was streets better than it has been. Some players we absolutely need to have good seasons looked capable of delivering - specifically Sironen and Tapau. The back line coped admirably with having a debutant playing out of position at short notice. The front row rotation looked very strong indeed. Sure, the spine didn't really fire. Hardly surprising when three-quarters of it is barely past school age and it's never taken the field together in first grade.

The way I see it, the Titans were maxed out at 18 points, despite having lots of ball and some very helpful penalty calls. With a few more balls sticking we could have had 40.

What does it mean for the season? Well, injuries notwithstanding more or less what I hoped for: we'll beat some good teams, take a couple of hammerings, put lots of points on a few and struggle to beat teams we ought to have covered. This is what inconsistency means, and with the roster we have it's inevitable. We're building: for the first time in years I actually believe it.

This is bang on IMO!! Nice one bruvaaaa!!

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:04 pm

Spot on 2041
"Quality Stupidity"