Worrying signs

larrycorowa

Re: Worrying signs

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:16 pm

Good effort considering our attack was disjointed and our best attacking players were below par.

Definately more confidence in the defence. One off a try that was almost unstoppable, one a simple miss by brooks and the other a miss by the replacement centre.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:26 pm

Thought it was a poor game in attack for us.
We weren't fluid at all.
I really like Brooks but he is so fast he has to take the line on more and make the game his own.
Moses will turn into one of the best five eigths running around once the other guys get more used to him.
Can't believe some on here are bagging his game.
Forgetting his attack he never takes a backward step in defence.
Can see Sironen scoring heaps of tries off him - just like Gareth Ellis did off Marshall.
Don't know why but Tedesco didn't get too involved last night - maybe needed the run under his belt.
Biggest disappointment was Sue - massive improvement needed.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm

Hmmm, a win's a win....2 points on the ladder at the start of the season from an away game in extreme heat, I'll take it, it may help come the end of the season.

However I know it was only rd1 but our attack was awful, we have trained all preseason, but I don't think I saw any set plays except for a 1 or 2 off hit up, or a spread it wide and see what happens..hmmm.

Yes we started with Lovett in the centres with Lawrence withdrawing before the game, so spreading it wide had no impact.

We stared with Taupau, but that left us with no impact off the bench..??

Naiqama had a great game in both defence and in attack, he busted his guts out there. Hard to believe he hasn't played more than 8 games in the NRL with any of the clubs he's been at..??, off field issues..??

I see John Sila in NSW Cup scored 3 trys on the wing, he's big and fast, but apparently he can't defend..??, really..but that's the case with most wingers. If he can put points on the board, I'll take him. Will be interesting to see if he can score more trys this season and maybe force his way into the NRL side. Remember TNT (Taniela Tuiaki), big, strong and fast over 20 meters, very hard to stop close to the line. Gee he had a great side step.. :lol: ..straight over the top of you..!!

Moses will surely miss 1 or 2 games coming up, but if Taupau gets any, it's a joke there were many more tackles worse than his over the weekend in other games.

With Moses out, will that bring Drinkwater into the side..??

Woods had a good game, but he needs to learn how to off load. Taupau didn't live up to the hype of his World Cup efforts. He needs to hit ball with a full head of steam, instead of this one or two off hit ups. In the World Cup he did more damage offloading the ball after a good hit up, creating the 2nd phase play, if he can do that for us, we'll put points on a lot of teams.

Farah, by his standards, had a quiet game and he'll be the first to admit that. Why did JT bench him at the start of the 2nd half..??

Brooks has to take more control..it will help Robbie out. Take more darting runs, he has the speed to dart through the small holes the defence sometimes leave..!! How fast was he when he chased the Titans winger, Gordon..?? wow. Does Brooks have a clever kicking game..?? if so more grubber kicks to the in-goals to give us repeat sets.

So more work to be done in the coming weeks, if we want to be a top 8 team this season. We have the players, just got to get it together on game day..!!

Let's go Tigers..!! :sign:

TigerSkins.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm

Apart from Bird and Taylor can somebody tell me the other "key" personnel the Titans had out?
I thought apart from those 2 it wasn't a bad side they put out ....certainly the backline had many of the old names with plenty of speed

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:32 pm

Furious1 wrote:Apart from Bird and Taylor can somebody tell me the other "key" personnel the Titans had out?
I thought apart from those 2 it wasn't a bad side they put out ....certainly the backline had many of the old names with plenty of speed

Furious I have been thinking the same thing all week. This wasnt a baby Broncos side.

Anthony Don, a very handy winger, couldnt even get a run in this side.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:38 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:When the passes start sticking and they stop spilling the lollies, we'll go a long way to improving in attack.

There's things to work on, but we saw glimpses of what they are capable of last night. There was a 10-15 minute period where everything clicked for us. We need a few rounds for the kids to get their game together. I feel this might happen quicker if we jag another win or two, they'll be brimming with confidence.
i remember reading an article by an excoach/player (or with quotes from one) in 2013.

it was about Mick Potter and how the team will take several weeks to adapt to the arrival of a new coach. which is exactly what happened for around 6 weeks in 2013 before our season was destroyed by injuries.

in week 1 we went hard for 10 or 15 minutes against the knights ( i think leading them) then collapsed.

the week after was the panthers, something similar there but a bit longer. luckily they were average and we got away with a win.

against the eels, we went for the whole 40, up around 18-0 or something. again a poor 2nd half allowed a revival but we got the win.

this continued until the storm who we led at the 60th minute but once again, faded away and they snatched the win.

i see something similar in our team, albeit its only been a week. we will click for periods and look like 17 guys that just met at other times. as long as our defence is alright (which it is) we should be in every game and within a couple of months start hitting some nice spine combinations and winning games like these by 2 tries and harder games will be up to maybe some patty richards conversions/field goals.

as soon as that spine gels (especially the halves) and plays somewhat consistently we will start winning games. give it a couple of months :supporter:
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

barra

Post by barra » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:53 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:I know a win is a win, but its worrying knowing that the only side you probably would have beaten in the comp was the team you played. I know everyone is going to try and turn negatives into positives, but lets review our expectations pre-game. We all were gunning for a drubbing, not just a win. They had 4 or 5 key players out, and with it being round 1, there was going to be no let up from us. We were extremely lucky, we relied on good fortune more than skill. We'll have to improve a hell of a lot, even against the Dragons next week, cos they will shape as stiffer competition than the Titans imo. Plus, we'll be doing it without Moses.
It's hard to get too much of a take from the that game I reckon.

I think the Titans actually had a pretty simple brief, which they carried out well. To me they looked like a well coached team, their defence was excellent and they performed their defensive tasks with a lot of energy which is so important, especially at this time of year.

I wish we could find that sort of energy, we've rarely been able to show that over the last couple of years.

I thought we looked like we need more time to get combinations working, and a few of the young guys played just like that - young blokes who are still learning. Unfortunately that's going to be the case for a while, but we knew that.

I hope they get some good points on the board early this season, otherwise, yeah, it could be a long one.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 10:06 am

We dropped the ball too much and our timing was off.

That happens and we still won, cudos.

Brooks took some poor options, but also showed he has a touch of class, when he starts to get the balance right we will be better.

The forwards easily had the better of it, and our defensive structure looked a lot better.

We went much better than Manly or the Cowboys!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 10:28 am

Goose wrote:We dropped the ball too much and our timing was off.

That happens and we still won, cudos.

Brooks took some poor options, but also showed he has a touch of class, when he starts to get the balance right we will be better.

The forwards easily had the better of it, and our defensive structure looked a lot better.

We went much better than Manly or the Cowboys!
We also went very much better than Cronulla.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 11:44 am

Considering JT has spent nearly the entire off season trying to get the players familiar with his new defensive system, and we won by stopping our opponents scoring except for lucky tries it shows his training has worked thus far.

We will focus more on the attack in the coming weeks but you win matches, and competitions, on defense not with attack. I'm more than happy to get a narrow win when we didn't play well. We can improve 300% on that performance, and considering how fired up the opposition were for that game it was a good win.

Anyone who thought we'd win by 40 was incredibly delusional They had a very decent squad out there. It was out props plus Sirro + Richards that won us the game in the end. Plus they got nearly every call all night which continually put us on the backfoot.

I would have been much more worried if we had spent the whole off season working on defense only to win the game 34-30 conceding a lot of soft tries.

In the end we won a game where our entire spine was practically non existent for most of the match. How many teams can do that? Imagine when the spine are firing, then it would be worrying signs for our opposition!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 11:56 am

And actually i was worried about Taupau starting. He was great for the first 15 mins, making some great runs, but then was barely seen for the rest of the match. He probably made 70m in the first 10 and then dropped off to only make another 30 odd over the rest of the match.

If he starts at lock he needs to be able to make an impact throughout the game, or come off earlier and back out fresher early in the second half.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 12:07 pm

In my opinion i think Taupau would be most effective coming on the last 15 minutes in the 1st half then he can have a breather during half time and go again after half time for 15 minutes more , then bring him on for the last 10 or 15 minutes of the game depending how the game is unfolding ?
I feel there is no need to expose him to the 1st 20 minutes of the game as they all running on adrenaline and once they start tiring a bit then bring Taupau on . Those are just my thoughts , i'm sure a lot will disagree.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm

I wasnt too worried being Game 1 of a season with a new Coach etc... The battle of the ruck never had a clear winner, so therefore it was a scappy affair which really didnt allow the halves any room. They had alot of luck and we didnt build enough. In the end, we got the best luck of them all with a Field Goal!

What raised questions for me was the first interchange of Santi for Taupau and the timing for the resting of Robbie. Outside of that, I suppose I was hoping we would change the manner we play in the ruck [I want Props going down the park; Backrowers sticking to their edges], but it still looks like we continue with all forwards playing tight.

I see alot of benefit in resting your dummy half if its done correctly.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:38 pm

Tiger Watto wrote: What raised questions for me was the first interchange of Santi for Taupau and the timing for the resting of Robbie. Outside of that, I suppose I was hoping we would change the manner we play in the ruck [I want Props going down the park; Backrowers sticking to their edges], but it still looks like we continue with all forwards playing tight.
Taupa went off for a concussion test, that's why Santi came on so early and for such a short timeframe.

Remember Ava also went off concussed so we were left with only one bench prop in the rotation.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 4:17 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:I don't understand the argument that it's only round 1 when we had the whole summer to get it right. I think some are just trying to turn negatives into positives by saying a win is a win. And as far as peaking goes, it's not peaking by looking impressive in round 1. You want to get off to a strong start. After a nights sleep, my opinion hasn't changed that it's a concern that we wouldn't have beaten anyone else last night
I will say it again: a win is a win for God's sake. They played pretty good as far as I am concerned.

I wonder if Manly would swap our result?

You just cannot please some people, no matter what you do. Very depressing really.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 4:20 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:And actually i was worried about Taupau starting. He was great for the first 15 mins, making some great runs, but then was barely seen for the rest of the match. He probably made 70m in the first 10 and then dropped off to only make another 30 odd over the rest of the match.

If he starts at lock he needs to be able to make an impact throughout the game, or come off earlier and back out fresher early in the second half.
Did you watch the game?

He was taken off hurt (concussion).

Get the facts before commenting.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 4:21 pm

If we have worrying signs I'd hate to be in the shoes of Broncos, Cowboys and Manly fans - some of the defensive lapses of those 3 teams was abysmal. The Broncos made Souffs look like the best side in the past 50 yrs. Manly for the first time that I can remember looked soft in the middle and the Cowboys had nothing - if Thurston doesn't fire they are at a loss. Throw in Canterbury whose size looks more of a hindrance than a plus - their forwards looked big and slow. Cronulla who everyone is tipping for a top 8 spot were more ill disciplined than we were and folded to a side who a widely tipped to fight out the spoon.
We played poorly and won. Other than Woods none of our top players really showed any spark. Our spine was ordinary and I would expect a marked improvement in that area over the next few weeks.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 4:26 pm

Sports Tab don't appear too worried. They have Wests Tigers as favourites against Dragons next Monday.