Thoughts on the foe function

Post any issues or requests with the site here.
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Thoughts on the foe function

Unread post by old man tiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 1:27 pm

The level of debate on here is pretty surprising given our recent form. A sad reflection of the years of mis-management we have suffered and the number of holes we have dug for ourselves.

For that reason, and in anticipation of the fact we will eventually lose a couple in a row, I've updated my foe list for the first time. Seems like a handy feature.

Can I ask if others are using this and why or why not? Do you still see quoted text?

Just curious what others think? Why don't more people use this, why do we like to argue the same point over and over again with strangers when we can choose to ignore their existence? The latter seems vastly preferable. To be clear, I don't wish Ill on or begrudge the people I disagree with, I just wish they would post less, or post some new thoughts from time to time.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 1:35 pm

I've used it a couple of times. Basically it just hides that users post. You can still see that they have posted, but you can't see the content. There is an option to open the post. Sometimes curiosity gets the better of you and you can't help but read what they have to say anyway. In a way, it's more distracting than if you don't set them as a foe.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi OMT
Ive never used it myself, and probably won't. I come to the forum to see others views. I agree with some and disagree with others. I tend to ignore those that are simply grinding their axe, but not always because they sometimes say something I regard as valuable. Some that repeat themselves endlessly, simply rehashing what they've said already, are pretty tedious and frustrating but this is a forum thats what its for. I don't come here to solve the problems of the world.
"Quality Stupidity"

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:19 pm

I'm much the same as NT Tiger.

Some ppl in here do have agendas and invariably get into slanging matches with other forum members. That gets a bit tiresome - reading 10 posts in a row about the same thing but having 2 ppl wanting the last word.

There are some very informative posts but lately it is just rehashed stuff. Then there are some funny posts.

Overall I am happy with our teams progress. It looks like I am going to win the bet this year. A Souths mate and I bet a carton of grog on who finishes higher on the NRL ladder, Souths or Tigers. After a few lean years I look like collecting - thanks JT and squad!
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

barra
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:23 pm

Will be interesting to see what you think of the function. Don't use it myself but have become practiced at scrolling through the agenda posts and bunfights that seem to have increased. And when it gets real bad I just go to another thread, it just gets too tedious and not sure the function would alleviate that for me!

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by king sirro » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:49 pm

Best thing i ever did was stop reading who writes a post. I just read the post without knowing the author. I will look who writes it if i want to reply to that post. Gives you the ability to look at things more objectively.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:57 pm

I use it. It could be better because sometimes I read posts when someone is quoted.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by old man tiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback all.

I have no issue with disagreement and debate.

Steve, if I can use you as an example, I agree with nearly everything you say in analysing individual players and games, but on one particular topic which I'd rather not get to involved in here, we never really agree. I think that is normal healthy debate to a point. Lately I've seen other posters, some of who haven't been here very long, who tend to just have one agenda, without anything constructive to say about the team or the players. That is useless vitriol.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by old man tiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 3:16 pm

king sirro wrote:Best thing i ever did was stop reading who writes a post. I just read the post without knowing the author. I will look who writes it if i want to reply to that post. Gives you the ability to look at things more objectively.
I've memorised avatars though :cry: :cry: maybe the problem is how much time I spend reading the forum during business hours.

If that is the case deleting my VPN app will probably solve all my issues!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 4:06 pm

old man tiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:Best thing i ever did was stop reading who writes a post. I just read the post without knowing the author. I will look who writes it if i want to reply to that post. Gives you the ability to look at things more objectively.
I've memorised avatars though :cry: :cry: maybe the problem is how much time I spend reading the forum during business hours.

If that is the case deleting my VPN app will probably solve all my issues!
You can disable avs.

Go to
-user contr panel
-board preferences
-edit display options
-uncheck display avatars

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 4:10 pm

yep that's exactly what i do. it seems much more objective.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 4:20 pm

old man tiger wrote:Thanks for the feedback all.

Steve, if I can use you as an example, I agree with nearly everything you say in analysing individual players and games, but on one particular topic which I'd rather not get to involved in here, we never really agree. I think that is normal healthy debate to a point. Lately I've seen other posters, some of who haven't been here very long, who tend to just have one agenda, without anything constructive to say about the team or the players. That is useless vitriol.
I have no problems with different opinions. I only put people on ignore if they show me they can't communicate without personal attacks or as you state they have an agenda and it's ongoing.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 5:31 pm

stevetiger wrote:
old man tiger wrote:Thanks for the feedback all.

I have no problems with different opinions. I only put people on ignore if they show me they can't communicate without personal attacks or as you state they have an agenda and it's ongoing.
Dont you like personal attacks steve?
Can dish it out but cant cop it?
Unbelievable

Has liked: 390 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by 851 » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 5:53 pm

I don't use it and I can't see me ever trying it.
Go hard or go home

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't even know what it is :lol:

Seriously though, to answer your question as to why some people don't use it to block others' comments rather than arguing the same crap over and over, I believe it is because some people on here just thrive on arguing all the time! Probably makes them feel special coming back with a good retort, so what else would they do?
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 8:22 pm

I don't use it, I'm old and ugly enough to know opinions are like arseholes, we all have them and some stink.

A bit of passion even when disagreeing is healthy anyway IMO.
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 8:45 pm

So what benefit does the 'friend' function provide?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 9:11 pm

It makes you feel warm and fuzzy that anonymous strangers like you?
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Return to “Site Issues and Feedback”