You have made this forum a sadder place

Post any issues or requests with the site here.
jirskyr
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 82 times

You have made this forum a sadder place

Unread post by jirskyr » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 11:45 pm

So Tiger Torch posted something delicate yesterday and the mods will not really explain why, except to lock and close the threads asking why.

I read Watto's post to the thread I opened. I realise moderating can be a thankless role, but I vehemently disagree "that the role/work of moderators should not be open to discussion from the wider community within the open forum".

Moderation only works when the rules for moderation are clear. If you start closing and deleting things without explanation, not only do people not understand what happened (and cannot properly avoid similar infringements), but you get people up in arms.

Previous censorship and banning, in my experience here since Day 1, has usually been quite public and with prior warning - i.e. most ppl know why guys like alien, Ron Burgundy, Jerry Seinfeld, simonthetiger etc. don't post here any more.

But to just delete someone cloak-and-dagger and not giving a straightforward explanation, I never thought that was in the spirit of this forum.

And by deleting complaint threads, you are telling us we cannot complain, or at least it won't go on record.

I don't think I've ever complained about this place before, but this turn of events is very very sad. Not just that one of the more enigmatic posters has been shut down, but apparently nobody can talk about it... in a forum of all places!

Milky
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Milky » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 12:03 am

x2

Sorry guys, i know you put in alot of hardwork and i even messaged Willow recently to thank him but some clarification would be nice...

guyofthetiger
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by guyofthetiger » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 12:06 am

I must admit to being surprised the thread was deleted overnight.

I thought the discussion seemed reasonable.

I'd be interested to know why it may have been considered unreasonable.

A forum such as this can be a tricky place at times, so I don't think anyone would object that moderators obviously need to make difficult calls at times, especially if it's clear why.
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

Fumbles

Unread post by Fumbles » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 1:21 am

I will be surprised if this is not deleted in the morning as well.

BornBlack&Gold

Unread post by BornBlack&Gold » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 4:13 am

I missed the tiger torch thread that has caused all the fuss. The more i read threads like this the more i wonder what all the fuss might have been about. Can anyone clue me in?

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 5:14 am

Interesting, I completely missed the post from Tiger Torch and can only surmise what it was about from posts from Kavi.

All seems like stuff that has been posted in the past, however, maybe the situation is a little more delicate than many realise. Maybe there is a concern the forum would be shut down, which obviously would be avoided at all costs?

I'm pretty much against censorship, unless posts contain swearing, but if there was a fear for the forum itself, then posts/threads causing concern need to be deleted.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 5:27 am

?????
"Quality Stupidity"

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 6:13 am

I've sent you a PM jirskyr
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 7:30 am

I must admit i feel the same as the majority on this unfortunately i didnt see the initial post from TT .I have no problem with anyone else having a point of view even if i totally disagree with it that is what democracy is all about.
I know the moderators have a difficult job and i feel they do it very well.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 7:34 am

Yeah, I am saddened in not being able to read anything that is within the forum rules. Fair enough if any offending text was deleted, but not whole posts and even threads.

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by jctiger » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 8:50 am

Tiger Torch has posted on this site many times before and has been thanked by all of us as well as the mods for giving us all an insight into the thoughts and events from within the club. Whether they be false or not most of us were grateful for the information. In all his Posts he has state names with his rumours so without seeing his last post I don't know what is so different that required it to be deleted along with any other posts questioning the action taken by the mods. In any case a clearer explanation would be appreciated and I hope this hasn't stopped Tiger Torch from posting in the future.
Last edited by jctiger on Sun 11 Sep, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 105 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 9:09 am

Tiger Watto wrote:I've sent you a PM jirskyr
But he's not the only member with questions on this issue

I missed the original post from TT as well... But have been filled in with a summary, why it was deleted, TTS response and the subsequent reply... The goalposts seem to move often on this issue and it appears possibly a mod was in the wrong.
The forum rule re: rumours.... was given as to why the post was deleted, however this post was apparently no different to TTS previous posts... So why this one was and prior posts weren't erased is what people are unclear on

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 9:16 am

I'm going to share the gist of Watto's PM - I think that is fair.

He said the post was removed as it specifically named players in a rumour of a personal nature.

3. Rumours are to be treated as such and not as facts. The naming or implying of individuals in any rumour of a personal nature is strictly prohibited. Rumours from other forums, social media networks or any other channel are only acceptable if the original statement is referenced properly (screen-grab, hyperlink, scan) with evidence clearly displaying the source. Elaboration beyond what is referenced is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this rule will result in the offending post being removed. Weststigersforum reserves the right to moderate or ban users who continually breach this rule.

Without having read the original thread, I can't speculate what was specifically sensitive compared to other details Tiger Torch posts, but I understand the position. I am guessing there is a differentiation between club machination / decision pathway information vs player personal information. A fine line, perhaps.

I agree with ink it would be better to share this decision publicly in the first place, as it has caused quite a stir.

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 9:20 am

Oh, also - the reason so many subsequent threads were closed is because members were discussing the details of TT's post again. So it isn't the complaints being shut down, it's the re-distribution of the personal info in those threads that causes the mods to close them.

I get it, like a virus, I suppose we have to share via PM if people are desperate enough.

Like I said, I only read TT's second post and Harvey's summary, I never even saw the original.

wmlmaster

Unread post by wmlmaster » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 9:55 am

jirskyr wrote:So Tiger Torch posted something delicate yesterday and the mods will not really explain why, except to lock and close the threads asking why.

I read Watto's post to the thread I opened. I realise moderating can be a thankless role, but I vehemently disagree "that the role/work of moderators should not be open to discussion from the wider community within the open forum".

Moderation only works when the rules for moderation are clear. If you start closing and deleting things without explanation, not only do people not understand what happened (and cannot properly avoid similar infringements), but you get people up in arms.

Previous censorship and banning, in my experience here since Day 1, has usually been quite public and with prior warning - i.e. most ppl know why guys like alien, Ron Burgundy, Jerry Seinfeld, simonthetiger etc. don't post here any more.

But to just delete someone cloak-and-dagger and not giving a straightforward explanation, I never thought that was in the spirit of this forum.

And by deleting complaint threads, you are telling us we cannot complain, or at least it won't go on record.

I don't think I've ever complained about this place before, but this turn of events is very very sad. Not just that one of the more enigmatic posters has been shut down, but apparently nobody can talk about it... in a forum of all places!

marzie

Unread post by marzie » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:01 am

How can a mod ban something all of a sudden that has been allowed/welcomed by mods previous to this? It makes no sense

Seems like maybe a new mod is on some power trip :/ Sad

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by tigerap » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:03 am

jirskyr wrote:I'm going to share the gist of Watto's PM - I think that is fair.

He said the post was removed as it specifically named players in a rumour of a personal nature.

3. Rumours are to be treated as such and not as facts. The naming or implying of individuals in any rumour of a personal nature is strictly prohibited. Rumours from other forums, social media networks or any other channel are only acceptable if the original statement is referenced properly (screen-grab, hyperlink, scan) with evidence clearly displaying the source. Elaboration beyond what is referenced is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this rule will result in the offending post being removed. Weststigersforum reserves the right to moderate or ban users who continually breach this rule.

Without having read the original thread, I can't speculate what was specifically sensitive compared to other details Tiger Torch posts, but I understand the position. I am guessing there is a differentiation between club machination / decision pathway information vs player personal information. A fine line, perhaps.

I agree with ink it would be better to share this decision publicly in the first place, as it has caused quite a stir.

Why delete the entire post and not just the offending line/s?....

marzie

Unread post by marzie » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:07 am

^^ any new mods on here lately??

Return to “Site Issues and Feedback”