This forum and its future

Post any issues or requests with the site here.
Kul

This forum and its future

Post by Kul » Wed 02 May, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi everyone.

I started this forum back in 2003 when the club decided not to renew their original bulletin board and Sincas decided to hang up his boots.

Back then forum software was in its infancy, developed from the original bulletin boards of the late 90's and suited a time where smartphones didn't exist. This site, for example, uses phpbb as its software, while other forums like LeagueUnlimited use vBulletin. They are all great sites, but they are all still stuck on the original framework of the early 2000's. They are all like petrol cars when everyone is moving to electric; yes, both are cars, both work perfectly well, but one is the future and the other is heading the way of the dinosaur. I don't want our forum to be left behind.

Fast forward to 2018 and we demand more. We shouldn't have to click "next page" and replies to threads should appear live while we are reading topics. The "thread" layout of forums is clunky and it's easy to get lost. While I'm not a massive fan of facebook, blind Freddy can tell you how Facebook has changed the way that we converse and engage online.

So over the past few weeks I've been researching the direction that forum software is going. In essence, the online communities are moving away from the "bulletin board" approach towards an site of "conversations". It's a new space and the technology is evolving, but already the future of online forums is being mapped out.

While there are several options out there, the one that stands out is the Discourse platform. It is feature rich, open source and well developed platform. Their founders and developer's mission statement reads:
We’re reimagining what a modern discussion platform should be, built for the next decade of the Internet
Here are some features:
*note, I've lifted some images and text from the plex.tv forum, who migrated to Discourse recently.

Stacks and Tags
The threaded nature of bulletin boards means that a topic is linear. A post is made, then the next one is in response to the previous. This means that it's easy for posts to get lost, or for discussions to get hijacked. yes, we can split out posts from one thread to create a second one that's more on topic, but imagine a forum where thats the fundamental nature of the software that runs it. Topic stacks are essentially topic where posts are tagged and filtered, much the same way that comments to a post on facebook appear. We still have threads, but it's easy for a thread to split out into multiple conversations without either conversation drowning out the other.

It’s not just about fewer sub-forums. It’s about forums and topics that make more sense and don’t necessitate “drilling down” to look for what you want, only to end up in the wrong place.
[media]https://www.discourse.org/a/vid/context.mp4[/media]

Flexible posting drawer
Posting doesn’t require you to be viewing the topic you are replying to. Navigate to other topics (even across categories) without losing your progress. Reference and quote across topics and categories. The drawer can stay open as you navigate or be closed without losing your post. Use the included WYSIWYG editor or markdown to add images, links, and to style your post. Next to your post, you get a real-time preview that can be hidden if not desired. If new replies get posted to the topic you are replying to, those get dynamically loaded (even their edits) without having to refresh or wait until after replying to see what's been posted. Discourse also shows you who is typing in real-time, similar to chat apps.

Dynamic thread reading
Say goodbye to static page loading and pagination and hello to dynamically loaded topics with simple tools for visually moving through time. Want to read more replies? Keep scrolling at your own pace. Want to jump to the end or a specific point in time? Drag the date slider to where you want to go, or click right on your desired destination. The URL is coded with your exact location in case you want to share or reference a specific reply or a place in time in the discussion.
[media]https://www.discourse.org/a/vid/infiniscroll.mp4[/media]

Granular control over subscription notifications
More options with less complexity. Subscribe to a category, tag, or an individual topic. Control your notifications for each subscription based on how involved you want to be. Straightforward descriptions help in making the right choice. You can also use these subscription options to “mute” categories and tags so that no notifications are received and so they don’t show up in the topic listings.

Summarize a topic
Use the Summarize button to condense long topics to just the most interesting and popular posts. The estimated read time can be helpful in giving you idea how involving the topic will be, if not summarized. Summarizing is predominantly based on the number of likes a post gets, with the top 10% most liked posts in the topic getting included in the topic summary.

Smart search with categories and tags
Enjoy better searching with auto-completion, suggestions, and fuzzy logic to handle misspellings. This allows you to drill down to a specific category and/or tag to get closer to what you are looking for in fewer steps.

Civilised Community
The trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

Simple. Modern. Fun.
Discourse pares all the complexity away and puts just the essential stuff on screen – the conversations you care most about, based on your participation.

All the modern amenities you’d expect from a big social website like Twitter or Facebook are present in Discourse. Mention someone by @name. Paste in a link or an image, and we make it awesome on your behalf. Simple quoting and linking of replies and topics. Reply wherever you are, online or via email.

And it "just works" on your phone and tablet.

Check out some live examples here:
https://www.airlinepilot.life
https://community.infinite-flight.com

So, where to from here?

I'm going to do some more research and do the sums, but I'm feeling quite enthusiastic about this. I need to evaluate the other alternatives and then determine if it's really all worth it.
And it would be no small task; it would require a dedicated virtual server and the migration of data (fortunately I do this kind of stuff for a living). This wouldn't happen during the season, but planning would need to get underway now.
Of course, I would appreciate any feedback, any advice and comments.

But as the Discourse founders said, they are reimagining what a modern discussion platform should be, built for the next decade of the Internet. phpbb is 15 years old, 16 by the time the season ends.

I want this forum to last another 16 years.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 02 May, 2018 7:26 pm

I have no idea what that all means...whatever you decide is best...

I like the idea of muted tho..I'm looking at happy

Keep up the good work Kul..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed 02 May, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi Kul,
Awesome work by the way. I think we all here at the Tigers Forum appreciate everything you have and continue to do for us Tigers fans.
As Geo said above, it's all pretty much double Dutch to me, but I would be happy to go with whatever you believe is the best option moving forward.
Cheers again.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 02 May, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey Kul.

you are our man,whatever it takes to keep this forum going,if you would like some more funds to keep it going without you being out of pocket then I'm your man to help start these blokes and girls to contribute...
by the way Iam a computer illiterate and have no idea what you have explained to this mob on here,however I trust your judgement as you have not let us down yet...
keep this mighty forum going...including the strict mods we have,they keep the place clean and tidy,without them it would be an abomible place to visit..

cheers TT...(the dinosaur)....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Post by 851 » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:06 pm

You have done a great job, I remember the very early years around 2004, we all thought that was great, but it or you have evolved it to where it is today
Go hard or go home

WswWt

Post by WswWt » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:10 pm

Great work mate! I may have skimmed through what you just wrote and missed it, but surely the club would be able to help fund any additional costs it may need to upgrade this server/software?

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:16 pm

Yep that may as well have been Chinese to me.

Thank you for providing this forum for us tragic supporters and what ever you think is best sounds good. Good luck with it all.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:23 pm

I have complete faith in you Kul....Your word is my command.... :sign:

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:39 pm

It’s a great forum and as creator you should be complimented on what you have achieved to date.

Well administered and used by a great bunch of people whose contributions make it great read.

Can’t say I can keep up with the terminology lingo but can understand that there is a need to keep up with the developments in the industry and move on improvements as they become available.

kodamapixel

Post by kodamapixel » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:40 pm

I think this would be a great move. Whenever I've used a Discourse-based forum, it's always been a good experience -- great platform.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:49 pm

Hey Kul, Thanks for your work on this....I too am in IT and understand the direction you wish to take our forum and fully support it...

Folks, what Kul has humbly omitted is the significant resources needed to continue to evolve and support this forum. As a regular user I have no qualms in tipping some money to help Kul resource this forum to the next level.

A subscription model where there are members and non members; "members" pay lets say an arbitrary amount of $10 per year to be a member, have full access to the site and monies raised is used to support this Forum. Non members would only get "read access only" in they can see all posts but cannot not add or create a post.....my thoughts....

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:51 pm

Move to discourse. Way better user experience and less php associated errors

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 02 May, 2018 8:58 pm

Any examples of this new layout where we can have a mosey around without registering?

Milky

Post by Milky » Wed 02 May, 2018 9:10 pm

Kul, you’re a legend.

Great work, i support whatever you decide to do with the forum.

I’d hope its around for longer than 16 years though, milky jr needs to have a forum to post his team lists and signing suggestions...

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 02 May, 2018 9:10 pm

Love your work Kul, been reading and posting since the early days.

I also have no idea what you just said but if you say its best so be it.
Its an opinion!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 02 May, 2018 9:58 pm

As long as it isn't too hard for those technotards like myself I'm all for it

Forget MCK , Kul is the BEAST

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 02 May, 2018 10:17 pm

You could have written it in swahili Kul for all the sense it made to me, but as long as a "sob" like me will be able to use it go for it

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Wed 02 May, 2018 10:20 pm

Did you know the other forums are so archaic that their sites aren't even mobile? I mean that's early 2000 stuff... when you're walking down the street or on the train what are people looking at? Also their sites are stacked with keywords for SEO...damn