We declined when Farah went off

cktiger

Re: We declined when Farah went off

Post by cktiger » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:01 pm

Halatau offers zero in attack and he's just too slow to be playing hooker.
Everyone is on about the new rules favouring the fast, creative hookers and we dish up Dene to replace Farah?
Sure he's experienced and makes plenty of tackles but he should not be spending time at dummy half.
Obviously Taylor doesn't want a rookie doing the job (and leaving us with an entire rookie spine) but Dene is never going to be a concern to any teams defensive structure.
Problem is we don't have anyone else with the experience to put there.
I'd be leaving Farah on for the 80.

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:04 pm

southerntiger wrote:Rubbish. We had Tapau, Woods and Galloway all off with Farah but you blame Dene pfft.

Dene had a great game defense and attack.

Smart move by Taylor to test the young kids wthout the leaders. They handled it beautifully.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Spot on.

Woods, Galloway and Tapou created in real go forward , made it easy for Farah

Wests for life !

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:16 pm

Yeah he clearly decline when Farah goes off. Halatau is a real battler out of dummy half, zero quality.

However then you also have Tapou, Keith and Qoods off at the same time.

It is a recipe for disaster against the better sides.

Black Orange White

Post by Black Orange White » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:20 pm

Halatau was not the problem even if he wasn't great. I don't know why our best forwards and Farah ever sit out at once. Also, Moses and Brooks were very ordinary and rely too heavily on James Tedesco to carry them. It's the reason we fall apart when he gets injured.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:23 pm

Taylor is trying to nurse Farah through a long season and have a player with some no9 experience if and when Farah is not available. Smart move by a smart coach

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:26 pm

Agree re Farah. He is not getting any younger and needs to get through a long and taxing season. We need to have some sort of plan during origin that makes us capable of winning a game. Last year no one else had played 1 minute at hooker and we played accordingly.

I can live with him resting Farah for 10-12 minutes most games. In the big, tight games though he needs to play 80.

My main point is we cant afford to have both props, plus Tapu off with him on the bench at the same time. Teams like Souths, Easts, Dogs, Warriors will belt us up the guts during those periods.

Tonight we got away it and last week because we were essentially playing the 2 bottom teams in the competition.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 4:24 am

i think it is more to do with keeping farah fresh for the final 30mins of a game and making sure he isn't making bad decisions at the end of games because of fatigue.
last week it was a great 40-20 at the back end of the game.

he is using dene instead of mania because dene then moves to backrow when farah comes back.

and the forwards who replaced the big 3 were fine as well while farah was off.
this thread is just guilt by association in all these replies as well.

terrible analysis going on in here.

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 5:48 am

Maybe we missed Lodge being able to replace one of Woods, Tapau or Galloway, because he may add more go forward than other bench players.
I think Taylor took the opportunity to rest some players and put more responsibility on some of the less experienced players.

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 5:58 am

supercoach wrote:Taylor is trying to nurse Farah through a long season and have a player with some no9 experience if and when Farah is not available. Smart move by a smart coach
X2 saves me posting well done JT.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 6:36 am

innsaneink wrote:Halatau did nothing wrong...youre looking for a scapegoat for the halves
Correct. These halves have a lot to learn.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:38 am

southerntiger wrote:Rubbish. We had Tapau, Woods and Galloway all off with Farah but you blame Dene pfft.

Dene had a great game defense and attack.

Smart move by Taylor to test the young kids wthout the leaders. They handled it beautifully.

I picked up on the same thing, watching the replay I too questioned the choice to have so many of the top liners rested .

I feel we lost momentum and were clearly unable to recapture the composure and pationce of the first half.

Robbie needs to be spelled to mitigate against fatigue related injury, we all know what typicall happens when he is out of games.

I encourage you guys to watch the work that is done off the ball,

Players like Halatau, Santi, Sirro and Lawerence are running decoys, supporting the Halves pairing in defense. All this un sexy work does not get captured in stats but is vital.

Lets all be more objective and astute in our assessments and Keyboard warrior style statements about player contribution.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:38 am

I don't think our go forward suffered during this period and I thought Dene's service from dummy half was fine. We lost our patience, took the wrong options and didn't build enough pressure (repeat sets). Our 6 & 7 simply were not composed enough.

Maybe JT is hooking Farah to help accelerate the development of these young guns having to run the show by themselves basically....he hardly needs a break 10 mins after half-time. Take him off when we have iced the game in the last 20mins. Same workload difference. JT will sort it out.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 10:57 am

All that showed was that we need one of Woods, Galloway or Taupau on the field at all times.

Rather than having all 3 starting props play 25-30 mins and then go off at the same time, take someone off after 15-20 and keep the rotation going from there.

I agree taking Robbie off is about resting him a bit when we're in front, but also about making the kids take control of the game themselves. Call their own shots. We didn't go backwards while our big guns were off, but we didn't go forwards either. We lost the momentum we had built but they did hold their own...

BlackandGoldForever

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:55 pm

I think we might have to have Galloway on the bench or Tapow so that when one of those players goes off we at least have 1 of them still on the field.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:10 pm

BlackandGoldForever wrote:I think we might have to have Galloway on the bench or Tapow so that when one of those players goes off we at least have 1 of them still on the field.
Not necessary when we ahve Lodge.

Halatau played really well last night, but he is will never offer the same creativity as Robbie, nor is it expected. The whole idea is that we get a better quality performance from Robbie if he can have that short break after half time.

I think it works. Long term Id like to see Cherrington get some of those minutes, but given it is only 10 minutes rest at this stage it makes more sense to be Halatau given he can play other roles.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:14 pm

BlackandGoldForever wrote:I think we might have to have Galloway on the bench or Tapow so that when one of those players goes off we at least have 1 of them still on the field.
Yep... As good as Tapau is starting, it think the injection of aggression off the interchange bench is alot more valuable. Helps us keep the intensity throughout the 80 mins.

Also, not dogging Buchannan, he worked tirelessly last night and did us proud, but Lodge being sat out last night did us no favours having Sauce, Woods and Tapau on the pine together.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:16 pm

bonstonker wrote:
terrible analysis going on in here.
We played Saints an the Titans. Almost like starting with a couple of byes.

I can say though that we have scored 0 points with Farah off the field so far this season. We had probably a combined 5-6 sets inside the 20s during that period.

Lets see how it holds up against the better sides, before you claim it do be "terrible analysis"

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:41 pm

Obvs Farah is the better hooker out of the two...
We wern't gonna lose last night so I think the boys got an extended rest.

Can't wait for Cherrington to get a go,
He's a prospect.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.