The period that could cost us

Bones

Re: The period that could cost us

Post by Bones » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:37 am

Balmain Boy wrote:I was saying before the game that this would be the time that would define the match and it was.

Yes our ball handling was very poor all day and our kicking game extremely woeful, but we were still in it. They scored when we were lacking our best forwards. As soon as we took them all off last week we became very ordinary. Same happened yesterday.

Taupau simply MUST play off the bench!!! There's no point in bashing teams for the first 30 only to fall to pieces after that! A sustained period of attack followed by another.

Halatau to start and swap with Marty after 20-25.
Im with you on this. I'd maybe start with Santi at lock though. I know everyone here rates our forward rotation but in the first 3 rounds we have been poor between the 30-50 minute mark. The rotation need to change so that Tapau, Woods and KG are not off the field at the same time.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:48 pm

I think the big three need to play more minutes....surely we could squeeze about 60 out of them and have 2 of them on at all times.
Woods and Kapow played 50 odd and Sauce in the 40's.......surely we could get more than that out of them,they didnt look gassed to me.

otho

Post by otho » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 5:22 pm

Was thinking the same thing about those periods. However, regardless of prior rounds, I suspect there was logic to the approach for this match. It was a gamble, but, arguably worth it. Tigers couldn't really expect to win an extended arm wrestle with Souths. Perhaps the best approach was to go all out, early on, whilst fresh and full of running, blitz Souths, put some tries on the board and put them off their game. Yes, the interchange period will come into effect, but, with luck and determination, they may have rattled thier cage enough to force them into catch up mode and make enough errors to hold them at bay for that period. When the starting forwards come back, repeat the blitz as best they can and hopefully, snatch the win. It is a roll of the dice and risky, but, staggering Woods, Galloway and Tapau may have diluted the impact and not allowed Tigers to get the upper hand at any stage, resulting in an arm wrestle they couldn't really hope to win. I'm not saying this tactic is what JT had in mind... but, the first period of the game seems to bear out how it might have worked... IF they had been able to finish off all the attacking opportunities they had, down Souths end. Just a thought.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 12:15 am

greatodensraven wrote:Too much drop ball & lack of cohesion in attack lost us this game.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Agree. :(

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:45 am

The 10 mins before and after half time has been a Tigers weakness since the joint venture came into existence.

Whichever coach figures out a fix for this is a genius in my books.