Ugly loss tough for Tigers to swallow

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Ugly loss tough for Tigers to swallow

Unread post by willow » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:14 pm

Ugly loss against South Sydney tough for Wests Tigers to swallow

March 22, 2015 9:17PM

JASON Taylor knows one thing about the numbers from this one.

“No matter which way we read them,’’ the Wests Tigers coach shrugged, “they’re going to be ugly”.

And so they are.

Errors: 19.

Completions: 57 per cent.

Penalties conceded: 9.

Points scored: 6.

Yep, uglier than a mud fence.

Which is why, with most headlines this morning centred around defending premiers Souths - and exactly who in this competition can beat them — the real question is how close the Tigers should have come to doing just that.

Forget the final deficit of 14 points.

At least six times in this game the joint-venture side created genuine scoring opportunities against the best attacking team in rugby league ... and six times they mucked it up.

“We were way off,’’ Taylor conceded of his side’s attack.

“We made too many errors but I’m not going to sit here and go on about that. Everyone understands.

“You’re going to make it harder on yourself and we did that. We were very scrappy.

“But still, we followed up some disappointing attack with some real effort and grit in defence.”

Skipper Robbie Farah agreed.

“Effort good,’’ he said. “Execution poor”.

And it started in the second minute, when Tigers winger Pat Richards appeared to have scored out wide.

Nup. Offside.

Then after six minutes, across the other side of the park, Kevin Naiqama spilled the ball over the stripe.

And after 10 minutes, another attacking raid was crucified when Richards was thrown a terrible pass - and fumbled.

Indeed, every time the Tigers got themselves into the opposition Red Zone, they found a way to self detonate.

After 13 minutes, it was a Luke Brooks forward pass. After 23 minutes, a Chris Lawrence spill.

“But we do need to make mention that Souths defence is the best in the competition,’’ Taylor said. “They were number one in that area last year and that, no doubt, played a part in the errors we made.

“So we’re disappointed. We were very scrappy in attack, very scrappy.

“But the fact we hung in there and were still in the game with 10 minutes or so to go was really encouraging.

“Souths are the dominate side, that’s very clear.

“But we showed that we’re there abouts.”

Farah, again, agreed.

“We can take a lot out of it,’’ the Tigers skipper, who himself dropped a ball over the tryline, said “There’s nothing happened out there that we can’t fix.

“We went with them for a while but the good sides, they play for 80.

“The effort was great. We hung in, scrambled and tackled right to the end.

“So we know we’re not far off. But we don’t want to be close.”

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:49 am

I personally think the team is getting better, each game they play. They just need to reduce the mistakes, hold the ball and stay disciplined. JT is a good coach. We're heading in the right direction.

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:56 am

thats because we had them on the ropes.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:57 am

it was more graceful than ugly

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 1:17 am

The last 40 from the Saints game was followed by much the same this week

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:23 am

Completions: 57 per cent.
where we lost it

Snake
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Snake » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:31 am

Listened on radio no access to TV ,my impressions so far is that unfortunately the forward depth is a problem most of the replacements are reggies at best and when you put 2 on the bench that is when the opponent will get on top. Centres are also an issue I have never rated Simona just a first grader and Rowdy should be in the reggies you will struggle with these 2.
On the halves what you have is basically 2 rookies and is a big ask I would be promoting Drinkwater for a period to give some stability to this area ,also would employ a halves coach asap, it was interesting listening on radio as you could sence when the rotation of forwards happened that was the opportunity that Souths needed, Siro was also having an influence on the game but injury stopped that.
I thought the team played well but is a LONG way off the precision that is required to compete with the top sides, the upside is there is room for huge improvements the creation
of so many scoring opportunities was first class but for the finished product. If JT wants to compete with the top sides there are some hard decisions to be made especially with Noffo coming back ..one centre has to go..one half has to spend some time in the reggies..hopefully injury will not stop a decent forward rotation . The team certainly has improved its defensive structure and the attacking ability will improve in time but there defiantly needs to be a few tweaks .

Sully

Unread post by Sully » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:37 am

I was excited to see us compete for the full 80 and I am sure once we click in attack we will be a force. Souths scored twice off kicks and we can improve this. Teddy was not at his best, neither were our halves so we have more upside than in years gone by.

lathami

Unread post by lathami » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:39 am

The problem is off the bench we loss alot of players last season. The drop by santi and bucanan were crucial. I think our bench is good with lodge, Ava and halatatu. But it lacks that bunch of tapau coming on after 20 minutes. I know he deserves a starting spot but we need the attack after 20, so I say give him the 13 jersey and put him on the bench. In the last two games u notice with 15 to go in the first half they take woods, Galloway and tapau we go missing. I think if lodge was there it would be better. We had scoffs, and it wasn't like last year when we played our best footy just playing normal footy we have this year we has them worried, without inglis they don't win. We executed poor and probably played some of our worse footy this year but we showed we can beat them!! Our forwards easily outplayed theirs woods smashed the burgess. He was so scared he kept dropping the ball having a look!!!
More upside than down in my opinion....

lathami

Unread post by lathami » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:43 am

Oh yer and the rub of the green was not with us , wasn't that a shepherd when there germ 7 ran around the back of his own player making it hard for brooks to tackle him???? One review, please!!
Remember they took all their chance we took only one out of 6-7!!

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:56 am

Our fifth tackle options need serious work.

supercoach
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:51 am

The bench is a problem in the area of impact, but it is a defensively strong bench. So by introducing one or two high impact players we may gain in attack and loose out in defense. I am sure by mid season their will be possibly up to three changes in the make up of the 17, but at present Taylor will keep rolling out the same 17 when he can

LetsGoTigers

Unread post by LetsGoTigers » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:13 pm

We were great defensively. Souths are a great side and there last two games they have put big scores on sides. We struggled defensively last year and im glad we have improved. Our attack was horrible especially attacking the line but that shouldnt take long to fix with the attacking weapons we have. I think we should finish around 6th this year if we can defend like we did against the rabbits.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:40 pm

The bench was ok, it didnt cost us the game. We made way too many mistakes.
We were guilty across the board for that.

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:52 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Our fifth tackle options need serious work.

Serious work......Reynolds kept us pinned in our in goal and his attacking kicks also looked likely,they scored two off em!!!

I cant recall one repeat set off a kick and there were no issues in an attacking way.

2/10 for our kicking game.

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:53 pm

And where was the inside kick to Teddy play??

Unsighted!!

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:55 pm

supercoach wrote:The bench is a problem in the area of impact, but it is a defensively strong bench. So by introducing one or two high impact players we may gain in attack and loose out in defense. I am sure by mid season their will be possibly up to three changes in the make up of the 17, but at present Taylor will keep rolling out the same 17 when he can

I think we really missed Lodge off the bench yesterday. He adds aggression & is good for 100+ metres. Looking forward to when he is fit again.

At this stage of the season I'd like to see the following on the bench, don't think there is room for both santi & halatau:

Ava
Lodge
Santi
Liolevale/Akoula/Funaki

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

yeti
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by yeti » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 2:22 pm

Without doubt our props were superior to the Souths props.
And our starting back row was every bit as good as the Souths backrow. We lost a lot when Sirro was injured. Sorry - I'm not a big fan of Santi. Our shortcomings which have been highlighted ad nauseum - lack of 1 extra good second rower and a strike centre - were our main problems yesterday. It's a worry when a one handed Walker is the best centre on the field.
Our halves are struggling - particularly Moses IMO. I'm sure Taylor will persevere with these 2 for another few weeks yet, but if there is no discernible improvement, I'd be promoting Drinkwater to 6.
I don't expect to see Tedesco have another game like this one - he was poor.
All in all, not too disappointed. Worried about injuries to Woods and Sirro, however. We cannot afford to lose either of these guys, particularly while Lodge remains sidelined.

Return to “Round 3: Wests Tigers vs South Sydney”