Santi

Milky

Re: Santi needs time in NSW Cup

Post by Milky » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:54 am

My bad, merge please.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:20 pm

These players that are learning - are going to learn in the NRL.

They are too good for NSW Cup and will learn nothing.

In my opinion if you are going to drop them back to learn in the NSW Cup you may as well cut and get rid of them. That would be just another way of crucifying them.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:27 pm

At full strength i don't think there is any room for Santi in first grade.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Siro
12. Sue
13. Taupau

14. Ava
15. Lodge
16. Liolevavae
17. Lovett

18. Buchanan
19. Santi
20. Funaki
21. Akauola
22. Fiagatusa

We have some seriously good depth in the forwards and the best thing is there all home grown talent.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:34 pm

If you are going to give Brooks,Moses etc time to adjust to NRL...Santi also needs some time.....he can improve.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:38 pm

Tony33 wrote:At full strength i don't think there is any room for Santi in first grade.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Siro
12. Sue
13. Taupau

14. Ava
15. Lodge
16. Liolevavae
17. Lovett

18. Buchanan
19. Santi
20. Funaki
21. Akauola
22. Fiagatusa

We have some seriously good depth in the forwards and the best thing is there all home grown talent.
tony - why Fiagatusa?

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:42 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:
Tony33 wrote:At full strength i don't think there is any room for Santi in first grade.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Siro
12. Sue
13. Taupau

14. Ava
15. Lodge
16. Liolevavae
17. Lovett

18. Buchanan
19. Santi
20. Funaki
21. Akauola
22. Fiagatusa

tony - why Fiagatusa?

I like what i have seen from him in the lower grades. If things got desperate he is someone we could call on to do a job off the bench. There are plenty in front of him but he is a good depth player

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:54 pm

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Siro
12. Sue
13. Taupau

14. Ava
15. Lodge
16. Liolevavae
17. Lovett

18. Buchanan
19. Santi
20. Funaki
21. Akauola
22. Fiagatusa

Halatau will be there and deserves to be!

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:17 pm

Liolevavae wasn't as good as Santi last night.

Does that mean he goes back down too!!! He can't have time to adjust Tony if Santi doesn't get time to adjust.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:22 pm

Russell wrote:Liolevavae wasn't as good as Santi last night.

Does that mean he goes back down too!!! He can't have time to adjust Tony if Santi doesn't get time to adjust.
I'm not saying Santi doesn't deserve to be in our top 17 just because of his performances this year. All I'm saying is that at full strength Santi isn't one of our best 17 players. I would rather carry 4 impact players on the bench rather than a workhorse. A workhorse, Santi type player should either be starting or not in the 17. With that in mind and the strength we have in the forwards i think Santi should be a depth player and bide his time in NSW Cup.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:34 pm

out of the benches named in this thread, who is supposedly the interchange with Tapau when he comes off? At present its Santi.

You cannot compare second rowers to locks, sure the role is similar, though in a game, one is a wide running option, the other a defensive plug in the guts. They get very different opportunities with the ball, different contact in defence as well.

Santi is doing a fine job for his development... think about who he was running at, that dogs pack is huge.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:40 pm

Black'n'White wrote:out of the benches named in this thread, who is supposedly the interchange with Tapau when he comes off? At present its Santi.

You cannot compare second rowers to locks, sure the role is similar, though in a game, one is a wide running option, the other a defensive plug in the guts. They get very different opportunities with the ball, different contact in defence as well.

Santi is doing a fine job for his development... think about who he was running at, that dogs pack is huge.
I would sub Taupau with Lovett, Galloway with Ava, Woodsy with Lodge and Sue with Liolevavae

Last night Taupau played 50 Minutes which is up on his 40 Minutes in the first three weeks. We need him to get to a point were he can play 60-65 minutes week to week. He would be lethal !

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:47 pm

thats what i am trying to say Tony... I rate Lovett he has been extremely impressive considering how green he is, though I dont think he has the size to tie up the guts, nor the workrate. Santi is a good foil for Tapau, especially for the stints when Marty and Keith are off, his high workrate helps plug the middle kind of picks up the slack for Galloways defence.

Lovett is a quality second rower, though not every second rower can be a lock.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:55 pm

Black'n'White wrote:thats what i am trying to say Tony... I rate Lovett he has been extremely impressive considering how green he is, though I dont think he has the size to tie up the guts, nor the workrate. Santi is a good foil for Tapau, especially for the stints when Marty and Keith are off, his high workrate helps plug the middle kind of picks up the slack for Galloways defence.

Lovett is a quality second rower, though not every second rower can be a lock.
I always believed that Santi is someone who can hold us together defensively (ala Fulton). But in the last 2 games he has made 2 crucial errors that have turned the momentum and possibly cost us the match. Last night he missed a crucial tackle on Lichaa right on our line and he ended up scoring… the rest is history. I know he is still finding his feet but that's two weeks in a row now.

In saying that i think it is more important that when Taupau comes off we bring someone on who can continue where he left off. Someone who can dent the line and make some yards. Lovett is very good defensively and can also run hard and dent the line. I wasn't a fan of him at the start of the season but he has been very very good in his stints in first grade. He deserves his spot over Santi at this stage.

I know your saying lock and second row aren't the same but i remember Lovett playing in the 13 jumper when he was our NYC Captain a few years ago so it should't be to hard to adjust in FG.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 2:21 pm

Tony33 wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Siro
12. Sue
13. Taupau

14. Ava
15. Lodge
16. Liolevavae
17. Lovett

18. Buchanan
19. Santi
20. Funaki
21. Akauola
22. Fiagatusa

tony - why Fiagatusa?

I like what i have seen from him in the lower grades. If things got desperate he is someone we could call on to do a job off the bench. There are plenty in front of him but he is a good depth player
you can say that again Tony

Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 2:39 pm

Picking up the baton.

Lovett is not going to make as much ground as Taupau. That's a given.

He is also not going to be as effective in defence, doing the job out wide is not the same as in the middle. He is not built for it at this stage.

I think people are being a bit hard on and a bit impatient with Santi. He was not the only one that missed the tackle on Lichaa. He is playing his 3rd or 4th game of NRL and the last two against the biggest and toughest forwards in the NRL.

Take Siro as an example - last year he copped heaps when he was a 5/8 that was moved to the back row (totally different position), I remember saying at the time it will take him awhile to learn that spot and when he does, with his offloading ability he will be sensational. Well it took a bit longer because of injury but how good was he last night? Haven't even scratched the surface yet.

So the point being (not to blow my own trumpet), you need to give these young guys NRL experience - on occasions it may cost a game but this is a learning year. To reap the rewards later you have to make the sacrifices now.

We are all on the same side - some just view the situations differently and that's fine - but the bottom line is - we need to be behind these guys, give them confidence and let them learn.

I'll stick my neck out again - IMO Santi will be better than Fulton was and we need that type of player as many have said. BUT.... He will not learn in the NSW Cup.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 3:08 pm

Russell wrote: IMO Santi will be better than Fulton was
That is a big statement.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 3:16 pm

The week to week grind of NRL is tough on players especially young one's...giving them time in State Cup and rotating the kids isn't a bad move...that is no slight on Santi and allows blokes like Liolavava Funiki gain experience should injuries seriously strike...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

matchball

Post by matchball » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 3:17 pm

He is Mathew Groat all over again. Give him the boot.