Our kicking game

GNR4LIFE

Our kicking game

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:26 pm

Would have to be the worst in the comp, lets be honest. This is a big worry for me going forward for the rest of the yr. The amount of mid field bombs that we put up is ridiculous. The first set after half time Brooks put up a mid field bomb 40m out from our line. Moses shouldn't be allowed to kick in general play at all. I'll level things and say its cos the halves are young, naturally not everything will be perfect. But i think its going to be our downfall for the rest of the yr.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:31 pm

Moses and Brooks were woeful with the boot. Can these midfield bombs really be a game plan? Can we not sneak Patty in for a downtown or two?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:32 pm

It happens far too often for it to be a decision made by 20 year old halves, has to be a tactic from Taylor.
I understand its defensive advantages but it completely stifles our attack. Kick to corners, chase hard, and make them work it out their own end please.
Drinkwater or Moltzen wouldn't bring anything different, it's coaches orders, but on form they'd have to be ahead of Moses.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:32 pm

The bombs that were coming down on the thirty or fourty looked too bad to be true.

Is this something Taylor tried to use against the Eels because it looked like a deliberate tactic

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:33 pm

Lol all saying the same thing.

Must be a tactic.

Super coach.

Blake93

Post by Blake93 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:33 pm

Brooks' kicking game was his main strength last year, not sure why we aren't mixing it up

He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

everett

Post by everett » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:35 pm

Drinkwater is required for his kicking game but who do we drop. Unless Moses to centre and Drinkwater to five eight and Lawrence to bench.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Blake93

Post by Blake93 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:37 pm

everett wrote:Drinkwater is required for his kicking game but who do we drop. Unless Moses to centre and Drinkwater to five eight and Lawrence to bench.
Drop Moses, has shown absolutely nothing the whole year. Does he have any try assists or line break assists?

He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:37 pm

I agree with you. Farah seems to put in quality mid field kicks and not so good short kicks so I'm wondering whether Farah sould just take over general kicking...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:42 pm

Its one of the things that separates us from the top sides. Until we can get consistency in our general play kicking, we'll struggle against them.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:43 pm

everett wrote:Drinkwater is required for his kicking game but who do we drop. Unless Moses to centre and Drinkwater to five eight and Lawrence to bench.
It's the coach's gameplan, nothing will change. On form though Drinkwater>Moses.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:44 pm

Why would you change a winning team?

Wouldn't see a change coming myself.

What happened to patience?

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:50 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:It happens far too often for it to be a decision made by 20 year old halves, has to be a tactic from Taylor.
I understand its defensive advantages but it completely stifles our attack. Kick to corners, chase hard, and make them work it out their own end please.
Drinkwater or Moltzen wouldn't bring anything different, it's coaches orders, but on form they'd have to be ahead of Moses.

I guess it helps with not giving away 20m restarts, but surely we can't afford to waste attacking opportunities.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:51 pm

No changes when we have won 3/5 and 2 losses were close against grad finalists from last yr. Kicking game of bombs is something other teams do as well, you can afford a ball going dead so Moses was kicking bombs to the 10 or 20 to give players time to chase. Brooks kicked a couple of more mid field bombs but really it looked very similar to kicking games on Friday. Also we won 22-6 can't be too unhappy with our kicking game

Tygr

Post by Tygr » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:54 pm

Its obviously a tactic, but its not a very good one. If they were putting up torpedo bombs like Adam Reynolds does and putting the backs under pressure then that would be different, but they're not. All they're doing is putting up simple end-over-end bombs and the backs eat them up all day. They would be better off kicking long and to the corners imo.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:55 pm

The game has become 80 minutes of boring footy...Taylor was ecstatic with our game today....reckons its the best game we have played all year....to me it was a yawn-athon...both sides just carting it up for 5 and bombing on the 6th.....

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 5:55 pm

I didn't think it our kicking game was that bad. I think we need to do more in attack.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:01 pm

I would say the bombs are Taylors way of reigning in youthful exuberance, keeping 7 tackle sets to a minimum... I wouldnt read too much into it, as week by week we are seeing minor improvements, havent been blown away in games we suspect we would have been.

In weeks gone by there have been several posts about Brooks running the ball if the pass isnt on, tonight he did exactly that.

On Moses, he needs more time to find his feet and learn to tow the party line, he was always going to be an exercise in catching lightning in a bottle, Taylors heavily structured game a challenge for him to adapt to. I really think he will come good, its just a matter of confidence, and as has been said that he has been quiet. Sterlo, and many other of the games supposed astute judges see the potential in him, we just have to be patient and nurture him.