Our kicking game

mctiger

Our kicking game

Post by mctiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:42 pm

Our kicking game has been terrible for years. Short kicks are too long and long kicks are too short. I could almost understand the bombs today to Hopoate given how bad he was the week before against Souths. Our grubbers to the in goal are a lottery but we're no different with marshal. In saying all that I think brooks will improve.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

BlackandGoldForever

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:54 pm

Never had a good kicking game since Scott Prince left

tiger pom

Post by tiger pom » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:31 pm

The fact that we won I think sugar-coats a pretty poor attacking display.For seventy minutes we created very little and will need a big improvement for the rest of the season.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 7:29 am

I think Patty did put up one "torpedo bomb". Where Hopper spilt it as it drifted away from him. After this we had a repeat set and Parra started to look tired. We were the team that came home the strongest. With junior halves I can see why JT is doing it at the start of the season. However I hope it's not a lone term game plan.
We should have attacked their centers. As they did have any. Even Sandow was forced to defend in the centre. The one time we did we scored.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 9:00 am

Kicking game needs work, but I think the focus is on defensive efforts at this point and once it is sorted, Taylor will likely move on to key points of our attacking game like kicking and 5th tackle options.

Brooks and Moses are naturally talented kids, they will benefit from a guy like Taylor who had to work very hard on his game to be the player he was. If he can instil that work ethic on our halves they could be anything.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 10:09 am

The midfield bomb is clearly a tactic and it is working.

It is all about using the "hang time" to give the back three little opportunity and allow our defensive line to start the set advancing and on the front foot.

It is a huge part of why we are controlling the ruck much better this year.

We are playing a game plan that is all about control and backing a bit of skill to get a few tries and win the game.

It is working.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 10:47 am

Tigerdon wrote:I think Patty did put up one "torpedo bomb". Where Hopper spilt it as it drifted away from him. After this we had a repeat set and Parra started to look tired. We were the team that came home the strongest. With junior halves I can see why JT is doing it at the start of the season. However I hope it's not a lone term game plan.
We should have attacked their centers. As they did have any. Even Sandow was forced to defend in the centre. The one time we did we scored.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4
that was from the kick off just after they scored but i think its worth having him float in field every once in a while to put up a towering bomb maybe if were between the 40 and halfway that would be an attacking weapon imo.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 11:02 am

It's definitely another area of WT game that still needs work.

We still put the kicker under pressure too often, with poor organisation on the last tackle.

Moses needs to find some consistency.

We still have a very poor chase on most occasions and we were lucky not to pay for it yesterday through broken field counter-attack.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 3:50 pm

The bombs are definitely a tactic from Taylor. Don't see how anyone can argue with that. The merit of the tactic can be argued however.

Once we're within the other teams half, preferably within the 40 i'm ok with the bombs. Would prefer if they all landed between the 10m and goal lines though. But when we're inside our own 40m line, doing a bomb straight to the opposition fullback or winger seems pointless. They catch it on their 30m line under no pressure and have the time to build a head of steam before meeting the defence. Kicking deep to a corner would surely be easier to execute well from within your half and is more likely to put the opposition on the back foot.

The whole keep the ball in play and try and tire the opposition out theory does also seem to have some merit. We are a young and seemingly fit team now, if that' can be a competitive advantage for us then fine. Didn't work against the Dragons, Dogs or Souths though. Surely a more varied tactic would be required.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 4:11 pm

why are so many infatuated with perfection -
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 4:16 pm

i mean - this thread should be celebrating Pat Richards and his wizardry with the ball and his memorable kicking game on his 100th game.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

barra

Post by barra » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 7:23 pm

AHX there should be other threads where we talk about Pat's amazing kicks last weekend, but this one about how poorly we kick (for too much of the time) is spot on. All we are doing is commenting on something that some of us have noticed and doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves.

It WILL cost us big time, unless we can sort it out better. It already costs the team by making things like field position and stopping counter-attack harder for themselves.

Kicking is such an important fundamental of the modern game, and the best teams usually have the best kicking games. So if we want to be the best...

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:05 am

alexaki wrote:The game has become 80 minutes of boring footy...Taylor was ecstatic with our game today....reckons its the best game we have played all year....to me it was a yawn-athon...both sides just carting it up for 5 and bombing on the 6th.....

The last 15min. was exciting though wasn't it? And the best thing was we WON :D

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:09 am

cktiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:I didn't think it our kicking game was that bad. I think we need to do more in attack.
Our attack was non existent.
Fortunately the Eeels were off as well.
Until the last 10 minutes that would go down as the most boring game I have ever seen (and I've seen plenty)
I've seen worse CK..

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:21 am

mctiger wrote:Our kicking game has been terrible for years. Short kicks are too long and long kicks are too short. I could almost understand the bombs today to Hopoate given how bad he was the week before against Souths. Our grubbers to the in goal are a lottery but we're no different with marshal. In saying all that I think brooks will improve.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Our young halfs need to do extra kicking practice.. Come on boys put in the extras..
Then maybe, just maybe they will be a bit more like Jamie Soward or Adam Reynolds. ;)

TJL

Post by TJL » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:29 am

The kicking game was crap. Fark I'm an old prop/second-rower/hooker (in the scrum only when they were contested) and even I can kick better than that. As for Pat, without him the game would have been a loss. What a legend!

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 7:14 am

TJL,how are your old shins going these days.....I bet the hookers these days wouldn't have a scare on theirs..I was an old style inside centre and winger in my days and as you said we could probably kick better than most today,however we were coached to play a strong running game as in the day posession was the most important part of your play,we were told to keep the ball and run and support.... Big difference these days...but also a different style of game quicker and defensively harder ..imo.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 12 Apr, 2015 11:14 am

How good was Brooks' smashing 50m kick into touch down a narrow blind? Reminded me that he actually can kick well.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."