Our kicking game

cktiger

Re: Our kicking game

Post by cktiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:03 pm

stevetiger wrote:I didn't think it our kicking game was that bad. I think we need to do more in attack.
Our attack was non existent.
Fortunately the Eeels were off as well.
Until the last 10 minutes that would go down as the most boring game I have ever seen (and I've seen plenty)

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:03 pm

The 'Rinse & Repeat' midfield bombs remind me of the benchy days ...
Brooks needs to at least land his bombs on the try line if this is what our game plan is to be ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:04 pm

One thing the kicking game is trying to do is maximise the time the ball is in-play. Minimal scrums and set starts, and force their fullback/ wingers to run it straight back into a decent straight chase line.
Then we back our fitness in the last 20.

You could see how absolutely exhausted Parra were for the whole last 30 and the type of kicks I think had a lot to do with that.

Would be good if they always landed on their 10 though rather than their 20 and 30.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:09 pm

Farah needs to take some ownership. Its a big ask to put it all on 2 kids who have played 40 games between them

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:22 pm

The bombs worked. May not be pretty but we constantly had them carting out from their 15. Its clearly tactical and has been all year.

Supercoach strikes again

Conceded one try against an attack that carved up the premiers last week.

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:30 pm

softlaw wrote:One thing the kicking game is trying to do is maximise the time the ball is in-play. Minimal scrums and set starts, and force their fullback/ wingers to run it straight back into a decent straight chase line.
Then we back our fitness in the last 20.

You could see how absolutely exhausted Parra were for the whole last 30 and the type of kicks I think had a lot to do with that.

Would be good if they always landed on their 10 though rather than their 20 and 30.

Yeah, was watching , thinking why are they doing these seemingly ineffective kicks? Did not seem to put too much pressure on the catcher at all. Hoping for a mistake?
But maybe there is some logic behind their approach like you say

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:32 pm

Russell wrote:
everett wrote:Drinkwater is required for his kicking game but who do we drop. Unless Moses to centre and Drinkwater to five eight and Lawrence to bench.
Why would you change a winning team?

Wouldn't see a change coming myself.

What happened to patience?
What happened to reality?

Why wait till next year when the team can be strengthened now?

Moses is not NRL standard at the moment. It's time to send both he and Lawrence to NSW Cup despite the fact that we won today.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:35 pm

The mid field bombs are a definite tactic from Taylor. At gives our kick chase a better chance of coming up with a solid tackle on the first play. Our short kicking game was off today though. When Brooks and Moses are on song, they can thread the ball through very well.

It's clear this new structure is taking some time to adapt to. It's not particularly exciting at the moment, although we did score some good tries today.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:37 pm

alexaki wrote:The game has become 80 minutes of boring footy...Taylor was ecstatic with our game today....reckons its the best game we have played all year....to me it was a yawn-athon...both sides just carting it up for 5 and bombing on the 6th.....
100% correct. I hate to say it but it has become as boring as soccer...almost. I can't watch a game now without monetary involvement these days.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:40 pm

shane2801 wrote:
alexaki wrote:The game has become 80 minutes of boring footy...Taylor was ecstatic with our game today....reckons its the best game we have played all year....to me it was a yawn-athon...both sides just carting it up for 5 and bombing on the 6th.....
100% correct. I hate to say it but it has become as boring as soccer...almost. I can't watch a game now without monetary involvement these days.
Hope you're winning $$ ??

We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:45 pm

willow wrote:The mid field bombs are a definite tactic from Taylor. At gives our kick chase a better chance of coming up with a solid tackle on the first play. Our short kicking game was off today though. When Brooks and Moses are on song, they can thread the ball through very well.

It's clear this new structure is taking some time to adapt to. It's not particularly exciting at the moment, although we did score some good tries today.
I respect your analysis Willow, but I am not convinced it is a tactic of Taylor's. And, if it is, I hope we adapt to it faster than opposition coaches do. Or, we're in deep trouble.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:47 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
shane2801 wrote:
Hope you're winning $$ ??

No.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

the third

Post by the third » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 6:49 pm

If we keep winning I don't care if it's boring. Seem is play plenty of good footy and lose. This is much better

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 7:43 pm

It is definitely a tactic the midfield bombs I don't necessarily have an issue with it as long as the chase with some sort of pressure on the catcher is there. I don't think that is up to standard yet but our short kicking game today and good parts of the season so far is atrocious.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:01 pm

the third wrote:If we keep winning I don't care if it's boring. Seem is play plenty of good footy and lose. This is much better

This x1000.

However, our kicking game is diabolical.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:04 pm

As I said in the live game thread , it is almost as if we are using NFL tactics and kicking for maximum hang time to give us time to put pressure on the kick return

If we have reached the half way we always use the same style kick

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:07 pm

Plenty of teams going with this tactic, though I am not exactly sure why. Both Sharks / Roosters and Raiders / Manly games were full of midfield bombs.

I would always have thought finding the grass was the best kicking tactic, especially against a large back 3 like Parra who won't want to chase all day.

But clear as day this is a coach decision, because we've gone bomb 75% of set completions in their half.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 8:23 pm

The kicking game has seemingly been off, but it does look pretty deliberate. Just as long as we keep winning, although a bad kicking game can make that harder than necessary.