Was gonna criticise the coach...

happy tiger

Re: Was gonna criticise the coach...

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 11:10 am

Well he has to take the accolades at the moment , we have improved and Taylor is the coach

The defence is a completely different structure than Potters , that's Taylor

Players mature yes , but you still need to control that maturity and development

Anyone can get bigger , not everyone's skills can improve as well

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 11:43 am

Its all Taylors coaching imo.

He has stripped it all back to a focus on defence and staying in an arm wrestle for 80 mins. This gives a good chance of beating any opposition and also keeps the pressure off the young halves.
I have no doubt he has reigned in the attacking abilities of the halves and most of the side to keep the pressure off and I'm confident he'll slowly let them loose later in the season.

Its actually something Trent Robinson mentioned with the Roosters post a game they played against us late in the 2013 maybe 2014 season. He said he had held Pearce and Maloney back for the focus on defence and team structures first. Once he was confident his team could rely on that, he gave Pearce and Maloney a bit more leash and that day Pearce started running the ball and he carved us up.

I think Taylor has bought this to the Tigers. Its also about not showing your best attacking plays too early in the season and allowing the opposition teams to get a read on the plays.

I agree its can be boring, but its working and the players and us fans need to have the same patience as the coach.

The bombs are so boring also, but again I think its Taylors directive. It does give our boys plenty of time to chase in a line and to be right on the spot when the ball comes down to start the defensive set. Boring but it works for now.

I'm very happy with Taylor and the obvious improvement in defence being the most satisfying for me.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 11:54 am

The Tooth wrote:Its all Taylors coaching imo.

He has stripped it all back to a focus on defence and staying in an arm wrestle for 80 mins. This gives a good chance of beating any opposition and also keeps the pressure off the young halves.
I have no doubt he has reigned in the attacking abilities of the halves and most of the side to keep the pressure off and I'm confident he'll slowly let them loose later in the season.

Its actually something Trent Robinson mentioned with the Roosters post a game they played against us late in the 2013 maybe 2014 season. He said he had held Pearce and Maloney back for the focus on defence and team structures first. Once he was confident his team could rely on that, he gave Pearce and Maloney a bit more leash and that day Pearce started running the ball and he carved us up.

I think Taylor has bought this to the Tigers. Its also about not showing your best attacking plays too early in the season and allowing the opposition teams to get a read on the plays.

I agree its can be boring, but its working and the players and us fans need to have the same patience as the coach.

The bombs are so boring also, but again I think its Taylors directive. It does give our boys plenty of time to chase in a line and to be right on the spot when the ball comes down to start the defensive set. Boring but it works for now.

I'm very happy with Taylor and the obvious improvement in defence being the most satisfying for me.
Good, insightful post, Tooth and nice to see you back here commenting, as well ;)
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 12:59 pm

One thing that was very noticable was how tired Parramatta were in the last 10 minutes.
Watching some of their players still running back onside two tackles after a kick stood out for me.
Our guys looked fine (and you think they would after that borefest) but, whatever we were doing it was wearing the opposition out.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 1:16 pm

I thought we had a really poor first half with ill discipline handing the eels plenty of attacking sets in our half

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 1:21 pm

Tony33 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Tbf, i don't think the weather helped today, that definitely contributed to the game being a bore fest. We've been in every game so far, including games against last yrs gf's, one of which we should have won. I just hope that tactic of mid field bombs was a horses for courses tactic. Idk how Moses and Brooks will develop if all they're doing is mid field bombs for 90% of the game. They need to kick to corners, and if they can't do that, Farah needs to take the initiative and do it himself.
What made the game a borefest was the referees inability to monitor the 10m. It was short and pushed to the extreme boundaries by both teams (more so the eels of course).

Our halves had no space and no attacking play was able to unfold as a result. Our forwards were also less effective as a result.

It was an eels tactic of course to stop us getting a roll on, the refs did the game no favour what so ever.
Totally agree no space between either team.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 10:47 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
happy tiger wrote:The thing that has impressed me the most about Taylor is how many players that have improved under his tutelage

I don't think one player has gone backwards

Says a lot really especially seeing it has happened in such a short time
Are we are a better structured team to 2014? We are in the same position to what we were in 2014, plus we have players who are fit and have naturally developed/matured.

Personally, its too early to call, but I like the defence the boys are working through.

The next 6-8 weeks will give us a better picture if Taylor is the difference!
You do make a point, we will still have to see how the season develops.

But I do see a marked difference in the style of the team. Potter had different cattle, running out new players like Brooks, Taupau, Gavet, Halatau. Taylor has the 2014 team, but they are different.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:24 pm

IMO, we only won because of the 3 dropped balls at the 60-70 minute mark. Maybe Taylor predicted them to get frustrated? Doubt it.

Yeh, we were in the arm wrestle but tbh eels were starting their sets on the 30 and us on the 10. They had better field position and cudos to our defense for keeping them out and more importantly denying them any attacking opportunities whatsoever.

My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:49 pm

JT said in the Press conf after the ST G game that he wanted the team to focus on Defense and not scoring 50.

This is a building year, Semi finals or top 4 will be a tremendous bonus.

I heard on the radio that the comp starts in August, Lest hone our skills and discipline till then and see where we end up in sept.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 12:52 pm

JTs been saying that all year - no disrespect Spartan
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Post by 851 » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 1:04 pm

Spartan117 wrote:JT said in the Press conf after the ST G game that he wanted the team to focus on Defense and not scoring 50.

This is a building year, Semi finals or top 4 will be a tremendous bonus.

I heard on the radio that the comp starts in August, Lest hone our skills and discipline till then and see where we end up in sept.
That is all well and good,but you need to be in the 8 to play when the comp supposedly starts in august/september.
Go hard or go home

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 1:33 pm

It's interesting that people criticise the bombs. Pretty sure two times we didn't bomb it that Parramatta made line breaks on the kick return.

mightymagpie

Post by mightymagpie » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 1:34 pm

I for one am optimistic that JT has a plan and at the moment it's built on solid defence. Great points in this thread about the midfield bombs - I never thought of it that way at the game and we were just getting frustrated with the seemingly poor 5th tackle options.
What I don't understand is why we never grubbered into the in goal when we were close to their line and force a drop out.
It was definitely noticeable Parra were struggling towards the end - whether that was due to our defence or the fact they only had a 3 man bench or a combination of both.
It will be interesting to see how we go against the Warriors

barra

Post by barra » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 1:43 pm

tig_prmz wrote:IMO, we only won because of the 3 dropped balls at the 60-70 minute mark. Maybe Taylor predicted them to get frustrated? Doubt it.

Yeh, we were in the arm wrestle but tbh eels were starting their sets on the 30 and us on the 10. They had better field position and cudos to our defense for keeping them out and more importantly denying them any attacking opportunities whatsoever.

Yes the fact is that Parra was actually doing more with the possessions they had in terms of metres gained through their possessions.

But we took better advantage of the opportunities that presented in the final minutes, all of which were built through a fairly tough and gritty performance, more completed sets and as you point out, some pretty good defence.

Well done team and coaches.

But to be honest, I didn't think we won the ruck and that took the gloss off it a little for me.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 2:13 pm

MacDougall wrote:It's interesting that people criticise the bombs. Pretty sure two times we didn't bomb it that Parramatta made line breaks on the kick return.
Well two things:

1) if you can't kick on the ground and do a decent chase, what sort of footy side are you?

2) 100% one of Parra's first line breaks came off a bomb, their new winger outleapt and ran off downfield, Moses reeled him in.

barra

Post by barra » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 2:19 pm

jirskyr wrote:
MacDougall wrote:It's interesting that people criticise the bombs. Pretty sure two times we didn't bomb it that Parramatta made line breaks on the kick return.
Well two things:

1) if you can't kick on the ground and do a decent chase, what sort of footy side are you?

2) 100% one of Parra's first line breaks came off a bomb, their new winger outleapt and ran off downfield, Moses reeled him in.
100% correct on both counts.

WT website stats have Parra kick return metres ahead of ours, that is directly related to the quality of the kick and the chase. It will definitely hurt us if not addressed.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 5:50 pm

barra wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Well two things:

100% correct on both counts.

WT website stats have Parra kick return metres ahead of ours, that is directly related to the quality of the kick and the chase. It will definitely hurt us if not addressed.
At least 3 times Teddy was a whisker from going long on our kick return

2 of Parra back three are far bigger than our back three

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 7:11 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:We definitely seem to be in the game to win it at the 80th minute, rather than in years past where we'll string together 60 minutes of unbeatable footy and then concede some cheapies after.
Also, every team we've played has played poorly, or appears to have been below their standards. Five times in a row is a bit coincidental, can we credit any of this to our defence?

I have always been a proponent of the adage that you play as well as your opposition allows you - sure there were some unforced errors but generally Parra were just tackled and bustled out of the game - in the end they had nothing left in the tank.