Immaturity costs us big time...

Telltails
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Immaturity costs us big time...

Unread post by Telltails » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 12:52 am

happy tiger wrote:I don't know what people expect from blokes with less than 30 games of NRL when we get towelled up in the forwards ,we lose the ruck and we don't have a 50/50 split of the ball ??

We could of had Lewis and Johns as our halves and still lost
YES!!! I dont know what half these people are watching. The few times we were in the Warriors quarter we converted into points.We defended our line for numerous sets - 69% -31% possession and 8-3 penalty count just prior to half time - and people are saying the halves dont run the ball enough!! We didnt have any ball - for a great percentage of that game. Both halves had try assists which dosnt seem to count with most, but that is their job in the team. The team did well to stay with the Warriors in that game. Had a couple of decisions gone our way - we win it. Last year we probably would have got beat by forty with those stats. The halves are not starring, and they are making some mistakes - but as a team I think we are going great compared to the performances last year.

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 8:02 am

I'm willing to be patient with both of them, however the fact is our kicking game this season is the worst in the NRL by far. This needs to improve NOW.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:10 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
TrueTiger wrote:
The time and money spent on these two could be spent elsewhere if you want to win something soon,
And where could that money be better spent? If you could actually solve that puzzle you'd run a successful football club. In reality it's pretty hard to just buy yourself a working long term halves pairing.

You could throw a million bucks a season at a young, in form half like Foran who no longer fits into a more successful team's cap. Then you try to budget another 24 players and pray you got the balance right.

You could recruit the drunks, thugs, party animals, sex offenders, twitter trolls and wife beaters that other teams have cut loose cheap. These guys can win premierships for a team that can keep them out of trouble (or at least off social media). The Tigers have been keen to put the days of Field, McGuiness and Hopoate behind them, showing no interest in the likes of Todd Carney or Blake Ferguson.

You could bring up hacks from NSW cup who have the experience to sort of play the role, even if they don't set the world on fire. They're in their mid 20's, have plenty of match fitness, know the position well and probably played a few NRL games with another club before being found surplus to requirements. Josh Drinkwater has already been through the whole cycle, including a stint in the ESL, and he's only 22.

You could grab a 30 something former rep player who's run his course at another club. These are blokes who played for their state and their country, trouble is it was in 2006. Shopping for them is a bit like buying a second hand car, there's good value out there, but it's a gamble. The Tigers passed on Luke Lewis at the same time they bought Braith Anasta. Luke Lewis was playing origin while Anasta was injured on the sidelines on his way to a full time media gig. The Tigers decision could just as easily gone the other way.

Or you could back the best talent from your development system and see what happens. We're at 50% win/loss with the youngest halves pairing in the comp. We're hardly in crisis. This side will improve, and if we don't have a cascade of injuries we should play finals footy this year.

Very good post Cosimo.. TT be patient, as these two is what JT has to work with at the moment. We'll give them time and hopefully they will improve 100%.
Yes we didn't win the game, we were undisciplined, and our halfs kicking and last tackle options weren't the best i agree, but we hung in there with our defence. Loosing by 10 points to a fired up team like the Warriors at their homeground wasn't embarrassing. In days past it would've been a lot worse. Our halfs will learn more from a loss, then a win.
They need to improve their kicking game though, as it's very poor. :(

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:15 am

NT Tiger wrote:There will always be a chicken that says "the sky is falling", I'm happy to be the turkey and be patient.
Lol.. There's quite a few turkeys on this forrum NT. Me included. :lol:
Last edited by Tigermama on Mon 13 Apr, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:22 am

cochise wrote:I actually can not believe this thread exists, but I'm always surprised by the lack of football knowledge of some fans. We are playing with two 20 year old halves here, Andrew Johns took years to develop into the player he became. In an ideal world these 2 players would have come along a couple of years apart allowing them to be partnered with a more experienced partner. We do not have that luxury but these 2 will develop into a strong combination but they need a lot of support from the coaching staff to develop because they don't have that experienced partner to guide them.

The kicking game is most definately the gameplan the players have been asked to follow, Brooks has one of the best long kicking games I have seen but he is being told to put up the midfield bombs. JT is trying to get a situation where our defensive line is set and at the returner as he catches the ball.

Also talking about our game plan it is a very simple gameplan. We are trying to move the ball through our forwards into the oppositions 20, when we reach the 20 we will take a settler to around centre field. We will then attack on either side through the use of second man plays where we either hit the 2nd man, works best when the 2nd man is Teddy as he is our best ball player atm, or hit the lead runner, usually Sirro or lawrance with a short ball. This is the extent of our gameplan at this stage of the season but it will expand as the season progresses

Anyway sorry for the novel, give these guys time and they will develop, it may take a little longer than we would like because they are lacking the experience partner to guide them, but there are no shortage of halves in our coaching ranks so they will get there in time and we will challenge for the premiership with these 2 players guiding us.
I love reading a good novel Cochise... Good post ;)

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:39 am

We had 'experienced' Anasta and Marshall and our kicking game was not better :(
IMHO, Moses is much better option than Anasta.
Brooks kicking game produced few tries, he was one of the best against the Poodles.
We just need to be patient, 'Rome wasn't built in one day' :)

Go Tigers

Sco77y
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Sco77y » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:58 am

Bottom line is I think we'd all rather have our two current young, developing halves than any kind of setup we've had in the past 5 years (at least). We were going nowhere in this area and finally we appear to be moving in the right direction, with plenty of upside I'm sure. We have a lot to look forward to in the coming years across our entire roster - something we could never have said in previous years. Brooks and Moses need more time to gel, and this will happen in time.. They're gaining a lot of experience after each and every round in the NRL and I think they could take a lot out of the Warriors game in particular. I can only see them improving week in and week out, and by the end of the season we'll have something pretty exciting there I'm sure.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 12:17 pm

A very optimistic post 77y.. Love it :)

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 5:00 pm

Well fellow forumers,this was quite an argumentative topic to say the least...after having read many of the posts,some people were very vocal about giving the young halves time to get used to NRL,some were critical of the two as a combination and I feel others sat on the fence so to speak.....my conclusion therein is that the young guys are what we have as our FG halves and we have to persevere with them for quite awhile it seems...hopefully they will develope and start producing the skills they are reputed to have as playmakers...

One thing that really stands out is...we haven't the depth to place a more experienced half with either one for a couple of games to at least guide them and show them the ropes required at this level......I did say to Russ earlier in the thread,that I may have gone off half cocked by posting this thread,not to bag the kids but I was expecting a tremendous 2015 due to having this combination playing in the top grade for us,they have a huge reputation according to the Club and will be our saving grace,I have not seen this at the moment,but Iam willing to give them the time to get more confidence and experience on their side....all in all I appreciate the input from all fellow forumers wether it be positive or negative,we are and always will be entitled to our opinion,whilst respecting others opinion and keeping within the boundaries of respect to each other..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:11 pm

Does anyone remember the game against the dogs last year when they both fired and we flogged canterbury by 40??

its in there....they have done it at junior level and sporadically in firsts.

Hang in there.....i feel really confident that they will come good.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 3:04 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Does anyone remember the game against the dogs last year when they both fired and we flogged canterbury by 40??

brooks wasnt there, that was alllll mitch moses ;)
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 398 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 11:54 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
simonthetiger wrote:Does anyone remember the game against the dogs last year when they both fired and we flogged canterbury by 40??

He was...I clearly remember Austin and Moses combining to put Brooks in under the sticks....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 8:48 pm

Geo. wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:

He was...I clearly remember Austin and Moses combining to put Brooks in under the sticks....
yup quite right, my bad
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Return to “Round 6: Wests Tigers vs Warriors”