Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

larrycorowa

Re: Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 9:15 pm

Watching Larry Corowa - The Black Flash - streaming down the touchline. The crowd used to rise to their feet every time he got the ball.

The only other player i've this happen for is The Black Pearl - Ellery Hanley.

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 9:28 pm

Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
One game - against Canterbury. We were at 28 all and only a few minutes to go. Canterbury's winger was away down the western touch line - going to score for all money. Then Len Killeen, who hardly made a tackle all year, flew through the air, grabbed the back of this guys collar and somehow managed to get him into touch. It was like we'd won the comp!
It was a crap venue 45 years ago. Must be so much worse now. But by God, it'd be sad to see it go!

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 9:50 pm

Vs Souths in 2005. In the middle of the 8 game winning streak. Massive crowd, huge atmosphere and a big win for Tigers. Winning that game saw the Tigers pretty safe for the semis for the first time. The day after the grand final at LO was a great day as well.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 9:55 pm

Wests winning the Amco Cup comes to mind also

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:00 pm

NJLM78 wrote:Vs Souths in 2005. In the middle of the 8 game winning streak. Massive crowd, huge atmosphere and a big win for Tigers. Winning that game saw the Tigers pretty safe for the semis for the first time. The day after the grand final at LO was a great day as well.
Yeah i was there at both events what an atmosphere . Vs Souffs they were on the roof Tops and a Day bathed in sunshine to.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:08 pm

Tiger Watto wrote: But my favourite game was definitely the Storm Salary Cap Scandal game... The Crowd gave it to them all game, even my wife!
My favourite also. I remember after the game, Smith was asked about the abuse he copped from the crowd. He said at another ground it would have been bad, but at Leichhardt there were so may people giving it to him that it all become white noise.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:08 pm

As a kid i remember Larry Corowa scoring his first try,gee he was quick,i also have fond memories of the wet night Simona smoked Melbourne,sitting with the Melbourne supporters was priceless !

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 11:36 pm

Goose wrote:My Favourite ever was as a young fella Wayne Pearce doing his farewell lap and shaking mine (and everyone elses hand) Still my favourite player. Ive told my Its a knock out story on here,which solidified me as a tigers fan, loved him ever since.
My fav for the joint was a bit of Beau Ryan magic with a kick chase in the corner against Canberra on a Sunday arvo to win the game.
Seem to remember Fitzy scoring a runaway try from the scrum that day too to really seal the deal.

Glen McWilliams

Post by Glen McWilliams » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 6:57 am

simonthetiger wrote:
That was great. Happened right in front of me in the old seats we had before the front office f....d our membership up. One of the worst pieces of refereeing I have ever seen also. If I recall correctly, after Watts' initial dog shot, Robbie said something to Hayne along the lines of "If you don't take care of it I will". Did he take care of it? Did he what!
Boston Red Sox 2013: Worst to First!
Boston Red Sox 2014: First to Worst...

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 9:28 am

Telltails wrote:
Goose wrote:My Favourite ever was as a young fella Wayne Pearce doing his farewell lap and shaking mine (and everyone elses hand) Still my favourite player. Ive told my Its a knock out story on here,which solidified me as a tigers fan, loved him ever since.
My fav for the joint was a bit of Beau Ryan magic with a kick chase in the corner against Canberra on a Sunday arvo to win the game.
Seem to remember Fitzy scoring a runaway try from the scrum that day too to really seal the deal.
Yes, that is the game, I was going to mention Fitzy as well, but positive Fitzy moments get shot down on here for some reason :)

Was a great win that one.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:28 am

larrycorowa wrote:Watching Larry Corowa - The Black Flash - streaming down the touchline. The crowd used to rise to their feet every time he got the ball.

Anyone starting to feel the same way about Tedesco ??

Every time he touches the ball , you feel something is going to happen

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:33 am

happy tiger wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:Watching Larry Corowa - The Black Flash - streaming down the touchline. The crowd used to rise to their feet every time he got the ball.

Anyone starting to feel the same way about Tedesco ??

Every time he touches the ball , you feel something is going to happen
Lawrence for me...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Hubert

Post by Hubert » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 4:43 pm

simonthetiger wrote:
No bloody grey in those jerseys!!

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 5:03 pm

I've got a few. I started going to watch Balmain in 1991, which was a pretty bad season with that waste of life Alan Jones coaching. Our first win of the season was in round 9, 14-4 over the broncos in front of a home crowd. That got me hooked as an 8 year old.

There's a bunch of great Leichardt moments for me. Here's one that stands out as a time I went went absolutely apes##t on the hill. This try's got everything.

Round 16 2013 against the storm.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:24 am

Playing there between Reserve grade and 1st, as an Under 7's & 8's for Balmain Police Boys during the late 70's battles. Such a buzz for a kid, turns you into a Tiger for life.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4
in Ivan we distrust

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:50 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:I've got a few. I started going to watch Balmain in 1991, which was a pretty bad season with that waste of life Alan Jones coaching. Our first win of the season was in round 9, 14-4 over the broncos in front of a home crowd. That got me hooked as an 8 year old.

There's a bunch of great Leichardt moments for me. Here's one that stands out as a time I went went absolutely apes##t on the hill. This try's got everything.

Round 16 2013 against the storm.
I was on the hill in the rain that night, small crowd that made a lot of noise. It was a brilliant try.

cunno

Post by cunno » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:51 pm

yeti wrote:Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
One game - against Canterbury. We were at 28 all and only a few minutes to go. Canterbury's winger was away down the western touch line - going to score for all money. Then Len Killeen, who hardly made a tackle all year, flew through the air, grabbed the back of this guys collar and somehow managed to get him into touch. It was like we'd won the comp!
It was a crap venue 45 years ago. Must be so much worse now. But by God, it'd be sad to see it go!
You are dating yourself there Yeti, Len Killeen a blast from the past probably as good a kicker as old golden boots.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 1:29 pm

cunno wrote:
yeti wrote:Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
You are dating yourself there Yeti, Len Killeen a blast from the past probably as good a kicker as old golden boots.
x2, cunno. cant remember ever seeing a player since who stubbed his heel into the ground to place the ball, a three step run up for a kick at goal.
best memories for me though which got the crowd on their feet, larry on the fly, the black pearl, and robbie smashing the clown from the cowboys
I dislike sowfs immensely