Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

Tigerdon

Re: Favourite Leichhardt Oval moment

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 2:13 pm

I remember the chant from the hill "give the ball to Corowa". he didn't need much space and had speed to burn.
I once saw him swim at Dawn Fraser Pool against Dawn Fraser and Wayne Maranda in a 50 metre freestyle race, he won that to.
in Ivan we distrust

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 2:25 pm

Blackpearl wrote:
cunno wrote:
yeti wrote:Like all of you, I had some amazing times out at Leichhardt - when I was a kid watching Balmain - sitting there on the hill and the planes coming directly overhead on their way to the airport.
One game - against Canterbury. We were at 28 all and only a few minutes to go. Canterbury's winger was away down the western touch line - going to score for all money. Then Len Killeen, who hardly made a tackle all year, flew through the air, grabbed the back of this guys collar and somehow managed to get him into touch. It was like we'd won the comp!
It was a crap venue 45 years ago. Must be so much worse now. But by God, it'd be sad to see it go!
You are dating yourself there Yeti, Len Killeen a blast from the past probably as good a kicker as old golden boots.
x2, cunno. cant remember ever seeing a player since who stubbed his heel into the ground to place the ball, a three step run up for a kick at goal.
best memories for me though which got the crowd on their feet, larry on the fly, the black pearl, and robbie smashing the clown from the cowboys
Yeah, I know! Still, I'll be really worried when the OP reads "favourite Leichhardt moment" and my reaction is "Leichhardt? What's Leichhardt?"

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 3:06 pm

from NRL.com
Wests Tigers players have made their intentions clear: We want to stay at Leichhardt.

Sunday afternoon's clash against Canberra will be the first game at the suburban venue since Balmain officially forfeited their lease late last month.

It is just one of two Wests Tigers games to be played there, with the other being their Round 13 clash against the Titans.

Beyond that, their relationship with the historic ground is up in the air. Discussions with the Leichhardt Council are ongoing, and the club's board are due to meet at the end of this month to decide on whether to now take their games elsewhere.

"It'd be very disappointing," skipper Robbie Farah said on Wednesday.

"It's no secret that I love playing there, being a local boy. The other local boys have grown up playing there for many years. It's been a part of our footy career, not only for our first grade career, but growing up as well, through our childhood.

"It would be a shame [to leave], so hopefully the club can do something to ensure we're still there for many years to come."

Five-eighth Mitchell Moses, whose uncle Ben Elias is synonymous with the famed venue, said it was his favourite ground to play at in the competition.

"I grew up playing there and it's the best ground, so close to the crowd. You can hear them when you're on the field. It's my favourite ground and if it's taken away from us it'll be pretty upsetting," he said.

"I pretty much stay out of [the boardroom talks]. But we'll be pretty upset if that's taken away from us. Hopefully it stays.

"It's always packed out... You run out looking out to that hill there, it's packed out every week no matter how the team's going. Win or lose, you know it's going to be packed out. It's just so loud, and you're so close to everything."

The Tigers will be hoping to rebound from last week's defeat in Auckland when they welcome ex-teammate Blake Austin and the Raiders on Sunday afternoon.

Austin departed Concord in search of a permanent halves position in Canberra, where he has since thrived under the coaching of Ricky Stuart.

His improvement in form hasn't reflected on the team's lowly position on the ladder, however Tigers players are certainly aware of the threat the 24-year-old poses.

"He's a good runner of the ball. He showed that in the first couple of rounds. He made a few line breaks. [But] if we stick to our structures this week, we can come away with a win," Moses said.

Farah was also quick to sing the ex-Tiger's praises.

"He's been going really well, Blake. He'd definitely be a big danger for us," Farah said.

"He loves running the ball, so for us, we have to be on our guard against him. He'll be up for a big game too against his old club.

"[They're] very similar to us, they've had some really good wins and a couple of close losses. They would've taken a lot out of the loss that they had on the weekend to Melbourne. I thought they played some good footy.

"As I said, Blake Austin's been a good addition, [Iosia] Soliola I think has been going really good for them coming back over from the Super League. It's going to be a tough game."
in Ivan we distrust

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 4:28 pm

Tigerdon wrote:from NRL.com

It is just one of two Wests Tigers games to be played there, with the other being their Round 13 clash against the Titans.
So do we know where the Round 21 game with the Storm has been moved to yet? That game was originally listed as Leichardt.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 4:51 pm

This game was a Beauty at Leichardt vs Newcastle , Golden Point game on a Monday Night and what a turnout as well 18,000.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Squaddy

Post by Squaddy » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 6:59 pm

My favorite football memory is a game that probably is not on any radar. We beat the Eagles 49-24 (from memory) on a Friday night in '05 at the beginning of our run. It was a wet night, so they cancelled the Premier League beforehand.

I got there with my mate after school, mucking aorund on the hill before the game, and then just watched us pile on the points. They then played "Shook my all Night Long" by KISS as a victory song, and just the smell of that grass and everyone in a happy mood, I don't know, I just cherish it. It's every reason why you become a fan of the game.

In terms of performance, beating Melborune in 2006 (only 2 other teams did it before the GF) was pretty damn amazing, Never forget Slater stomping on Lawrence.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:03 pm

Very very sad if this is to be the last game at Leichhardt ... And that's coming from an ex-Magpie !

Favourite moment is the '77 Amco Cup and just going there both as foe and as friend. It's a beautiful old ground steeped in so much history .... Will be sooo sooo sad if they pull the plug. Let's hope Marina and her board feel the same way we do.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:03 pm

finding a parking spot - always my favorite moment
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:39 pm

This place has so many good memories, its unreal. I can think of so many positive times when I was a kid. Played a couple of lower grade games there in 87 and 88, ironically not as a tiger which was a little weird but damn awesome at the same time.

Watching Neil Pringle, Laurie Nichols, Kerry Hemsley, Corowa, the names go on forever.

Then the guys yelling.....

"Hot doggies'...or.....' peanuts. sugar coated or in the shell'... or ...'double on the main'....

Standing on the toilets at the north end....... playing footy on the hill with other kids you don't even know, they just happen to have a footy.... running on the ground and grabbing the black and white corner posts...... patting the players on the back after the siren when you could run on the ground.

Walking up the hill outside and back down afterwards, then waiting another hour in the traffic line up to get out.

What's not to like?
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

cunno

Post by cunno » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:43 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:finding a parking spot - always my favorite moment
Ha ha AHX I used to get a park outside the Orange Grove Hotel but impossible now unless you park there the day before :?

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:55 pm

Lol

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:38 pm

cunno wrote:
Ha ha AHX I used to get a park outside the Orange Grove Hotel but impossible now unless you park there the day before :?
There used to be this sweet patch of grass just behind the school that I parked in but now it's gone...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:40 pm

Plenty of spots in Callum Park...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:49 pm

I've been going for over 30 years. Loved any win over the Bunnies but probably mostly loved those games when we were up against it and snagged a win. The game after the Field and McGuinness got rubbed out and we came out and rolled Melbourne, the Cowboys game last year was another.

From the Balmain era I just loved it all. The old Balmain theme song, Laurie Nichols, those great players including the loyal club men who you could watch in reggies for a couple of years and then come through first grade.

It's been such a great venue - probably the best crowd for calling a forward pass in the comp! You can hear it pretty clearly even on TV! I won't miss the Glenn Morrison Dunnies. I will miss the "sausage on a roll, hot doggy" guy.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:51 pm

Tooheys New in a can. Its the only place in the world where that crap tastes good.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 10:01 pm

gallagher wrote:Tooheys New in a can. Its the only place in the world where that crap tastes good.
And what you drink that garbage and not throw it at opposition players :lol:

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 10:07 pm

When I went with my parents way back we used to park the Orange Grove Public School. Now with my own family we park at Haberfield and walk under the bridge, past Le Montage and up the dreaded grassy hill.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 10:09 pm

happy tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:Tooheys New in a can. Its the only place in the world where that crap tastes good.
And what you drink that garbage and not throw it at opposition players :lol:
And Queenslanders think XXXX Gold is the Royalty Beer :lol:

Now that is what you call Garbage .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.