Momentum

grrrrrrrrrr

Momentum

Post by grrrrrrrrrr » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:35 am

It's very disappointing giving away a big lead but it's not that uncommon throughout the nrl in recent years. When possession sways back the other way and teams throw a bit of caution to the wind, confidence can quickly build and then become very difficult to stop. Cowboys have actually done it with their season. They were all but gone against melb but scrapped home by 1 after losing first 3. Have gone from strength to strength since. If a couple things had gone our way we could easily be higher on the ladder and building momentum. Hopefully our belief and confidence hasn't been rocked. Even after all the doom and gloom we are equal 8th and very much in the mix if key personal remain healthy.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

grrrrrrrrrr

Post by grrrrrrrrrr » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:46 am

Ps for all those being so negative. We flogged st George ( equal 1st ) and had narrow defeats to souths and Canterbury (4th and 5th). Who is it that we won't be competitive with ??? For a team that had little expectations at the beginning of the season , we aren't going too bad.

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 6:54 am

Its our lack of experience and lack of mental toughness when things get bad that are killing us..

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Tigersman since 2013!

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 7:26 am

The way i see it their is a group of kids who have come up through the grades and are so used to winning and being successful that they are a little full of themselves.

As soon as they get a comfortable position in the game they get very loose, forget the game plan, start missing tackles, put their feet up.

Next minute the game is over.

Nrl is a reality check for them. Their attitude stinks and until JT knocks it out of them we will continue to play this way.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:15 am

I think 'stinks' is a bit strong but essentially I agree. That game was the perfect reality check. If you're ever going to win a game, it's the one you lead by 22 points. Go for the throat don't get out the deck chairs.
"Quality Stupidity"

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:42 am

we scored last at what about the 25 minute mark?

the disappointing thing to me is that we didnt just not play the the 80, we shut off at about a 3rd of the game gone. you can't blame the coach or the strength and conditioning staff- it's the player's own cockiness/arrogance that costed us. they thought the game was over after 25 minutes.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:54 am

I dont thinks its arrogance or cockiness. Its when the weight of possession swings we dont handle sustained pressure, and coupled with mistakes and penalties, we leak points. The Raiders had virtually no football in the first twenty minutes the game was always going to swing. Letting the two tries in before half time is what killed us.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:13 pm

Our defence was poor even before we were 22 points up, the Raiders were marching up field making 50+ metres each set easily but the only difference was we had Galloway, Woods and Taupau making 60+ on the way back, with Teddy and Tim Sim finishing it all off.
No doubt our rotation cost us a lot of momentum, but we didn't really look like we were in the game defensively long before we took such a big lead.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:53 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:Our defence was poor even before we were 22 points up, the Raiders were marching up field making 50+ metres each set easily but the only difference was we had Galloway, Woods and Taupau making 60+ on the way back, with Teddy and Tim Sim finishing it all off.
No doubt our rotation cost us a lot of momentum, but we didn't really look like we were in the game defensively long before we took such a big lead.

Pretty well how i saw it, though we were dominant until Keefy went off injured, and only got back on an even keel once he returned in the second half.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 4:35 pm

JT needs to work on some strategies that allow us to slow momentum. Kick early in tackle counts? Calls for killer sets/hits in defence.

Harry Hindsight is great but really when things started to swing on Sunday we should have been kicking early in the tackle count with that wind.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 5:27 pm

This is not a bad thread for people's input and opinion....I honestly think that the "immaturity" of some of the players and some catch up from the experienced players,collided and we couldn't shut the game down with such a big lead...

Inexperience from the young players and indesicion from the senior players all came together for the result that was....as Pattycakes said "we will learn from that"..this is the sign that the WHOLE team isn't as one yet,but they are getting closer,as has been seen with their other games,going to a good lead,outplaying the opposition in defence and attack,then we have the big switch off or the uncertainty of what to do next....they really need to keep their defence solid as in the first few games they played,be confident with the kicking game and find the balance for their last play options(wether Brooks,Moses or Farah get the ball) they can't afford to make good ground through the forwards and end up with a nothing result..Once this all falls into place they will have plenty of momentum to cut the opposition to pieces..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 1:18 am

"We'll learn from that" is a stock standard line from pretty much every loser put before the cameras post game. The tigers didn't learn from the Bulldogs game, and they'll do it again because they don't learn it seems. Didn't they lead something like 30-0 against Parra last year and get done? Maybe I'm mistaken there, I dunno, We as fans always seem to accept promises of what will be in future but nothing changes. Momentum, yeah, we've got alright. 05 momentum is what's needed though, and that starts with a kicking game and committed defence no matter what happens out there.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:35 am

My concern is that if we surrender winnable games, we will find ourselves in the very Tigers-like position of losing slightly more than half our games and finishing 9th with a bad differential.

We need to be the team that tends to win the close ones, not let them slip.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 1:04 pm

larrycorowa wrote:JT needs to work on some strategies that allow us to slow momentum. Kick early in tackle counts? Calls for killer sets/hits in defence.

Harry Hindsight is great but really when things started to swing on Sunday we should have been kicking early in the tackle count with that wind.
The key and the issue is maintaining pressure with your line speed in defence , the longer in games you can maintain pressure the more likely that the pressure will cause mistakes and turnovers which then turns the game around and releases the pressure valve

And when you have the ball you need to obviously control both possession and the way you want the speed of the game to be played at If we have a good lead you want to try and slow your sets down and let the clock help build pressure Even finding touch at the end of a set can help control the speed of the game

Our biggest problem is because of the cave ins with points flow teams always think they have a chance to get back into the game if they can score a try or two against the Tigers

We have to find a way break oppositions momentum or this will end up being another long season of heartbreak

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 1:07 pm

jirskyr wrote:My concern is that if we surrender winnable games, we will find ourselves in the very Tigers-like position of losing slightly more than half our games and finishing 9th with a bad differential.

We need to be the team that tends to win the close ones, not let them slip.
2011 was a good example of that . We won a few close ones that made the difference

grrrrrrrrrr

Post by grrrrrrrrrr » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 9:08 pm

JT makes mention today in his spray about playing Canterbury twice already. If we had played two lower teams we could have gained confidence. Eg Canterbury gifted by playing last placed manly twice already.

guyofthetiger

Post by guyofthetiger » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 10:36 pm

Playing 80mins = maintaining strategy under NRL level pressure

Hopefully that's what the youngsters are learning this year

Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:10 pm

I think its going to take an off-season to ''learn'' from these losses, i'm not sure its something that can be turned around in a couple weeks. Its a mental thing, and you can't really just flick a switch when it comes to the mental side. I think before the yr is out we might see a few more of these matches where we come out of the gates like a racehorse, leading by 5 lengths, then runs out of puff down the straight. At the earliest we may see an improvement towards the back end of the season.