Buy Some Talent

Mighty Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Buy Some Talent

Unread post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:32 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
Instant success :shock:, in 15 years we have won 1 Comp played Semi finals footy 3 times. So we should get used to being a mediocre side that live in hope that certain players become the real deal.
Who is to say that Brooks and Moses will be the combination that everyone is hoping will be in a few years time? Then what in 2 years time if it hasn't been what we expected we start again and all that money we invested in them goes to waste?
I have patience but when you see a player in Austin go and kill it in another Club and for City last week that is when you feel there is an agenda for Moses, cause IMO he shouldn't even be in 1st grade.

I understand that.

When Sheens joined we gave him time to create a structure

JT has just arrived and needs to get the roster he wants to deliver success. He needs to deal with what he was left and some not very nice looking books to work with for him to get the players needed.

He arrived because we had enough of not performing the same as the large change at the top of the club as well.

You can see this year alone our structure has changed for the better despite the fact we have our youngest team ever running around.

As to Mosses he is in to early anyone can see that however the positive I see is it will make him a more complete footballer and his speed control around the park should get better.

It's all hypothetical as to what will or won't happen however without getting some support for Mosses I can't see him standing a chance at 5/8th to reach his potential regardless how good his potential might be.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

happy tiger
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:36 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
supercoach wrote:I am as frustrated as everyone else with our team and their achievements over the past decade but I am also a realist. Their is no quick fix and even if we had the cap space and money its very hard to find top shelve quality players on the open market and if you do you are competing with 15 other clubs for their signature.

I think Taylor will know by the end of this season what kids will make the grade and what kids will not make the grade and start trying to make the necessary recruitment but I am confident some good years are not far away
If you have the money and Cap space? Players will come, just like Trent Merrin was asked the other Day was there a chance he could renege his deal with the Panthers and stay a Dragon since they were doing so well? He said no way his going to Penrith and money would be a big factor and always is. Look at RTS going to the Warriors? Who would of thought that? with Minichello retired last year. Even Foran and Daly Cherry Evans who would of thought they leave, even Issac Luke.
You have money you will get your Man most times than not, some will take a pay cut and remain Loyal but not to many.
Where as our Club haven't signed anyone that has got us excited in about 4 years. We signed Taupau and Naiqama which eventuated in good signings but were Reserve Grade players when we signed them.
Our Salary Cap must be diabolical.
Money is a part of the issue , having a chance to win a premiership and getting rep honours is also a big thing

We aren't premiership contenders yet and we have a lot to prove to many clubs as to our credentials

Many opposition players and teams don't rate us , we still have a hell of a lot of work to do in that area

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:56 pm

Mighty Tiger wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:
Instant success :shock:, in 15 years we have won 1 Comp played Semi finals footy 3 times. So we should get used to being a mediocre side that live in hope that certain players become the real deal.
Who is to say that Brooks and Moses will be the combination that everyone is hoping will be in a few years time? Then what in 2 years time if it hasn't been what we expected we start again and all that money we invested in them goes to waste?
I have patience but when you see a player in Austin go and kill it in another Club and for City last week that is when you feel there is an agenda for Moses, cause IMO he shouldn't even be in 1st grade.

I understand that.

When Sheens joined we gave him time to create a structure

JT has just arrived and needs to get the roster he wants to deliver success. He needs to deal with what he was left and some not very nice looking books to work with for him to get the players needed.

He arrived because we had enough of not performing the same as the large change at the top of the club as well.

You can see this year alone our structure has changed for the better despite the fact we have our youngest team ever running around.

As to Mosses he is in to early anyone can see that however the positive I see is it will make him a more complete footballer and his speed control around the park should get better.

It's all hypothetical as to what will or won't happen however without getting some support for Mosses I can't see him standing a chance at 5/8th to reach his potential regardless how good his potential might be.

I understand a lot of the points you make but we have a lot of players that just don't suit playing structured Footy..... Brooks and Farah are 2 that come to mind and for that reason it's affecting there Footy IMO .

I understand that JT has walked into a place that is diabolical but he doesn't change game plans when things aren't working , our attack is not even exciting anymore .
We knew that signings were not happening but look at our Roster God damn it , What is Brooks and Moses on $400,000 each per year or something ? and they have played less than 50 1st Grade games between the 2 . If they are anywhere near this figure Management got a lot to answer for.

Jacob Miller was judged after 7 first grade games that he was not NRL standard well let me tell you that Moses has played 19 games and isn't any better .
Last edited by foreveratiger on Sat 09 May, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

diedpretty
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm over all this structure crap - last night was the perfect opportunity after halftime to give the team open reign and see what they could do - instead we stuck with what had got us to a 22-0 deficit ( and lucky to be only that). Unless this team is given a bit of latitude to play off the cuff I can see them becoming very disinterested. I fear last night might be a sign of whats to come.

bp tiger
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by bp tiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 5:55 pm

yeti wrote:God this is predictable - after every loss it's the same old same old - buy this guy, buy that guy, why is our roster crap, why can't we compete in the open market for decent players, why has Taylor not done anything? blah blah blah.
And no matter how many times the same explanations are forthcoming - past incompetencies from the management of our salary cap re back ended contracts etc, a divided board, no management structures in place and so on, we get this same crap!
I know this current society is all about immediate gratification, but for f@#&% sake, this is going to take some time to turn around folks!
Anyway, carry on ...
ur one of the people on here that comes up with the same s*** every year, wait, wait wait , its getting boring we have gone thought this for the last 10 years wake up and smell going no where.

Mighty Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 6:04 pm

diedpretty wrote:I'm over all this structure crap - last night was the perfect opportunity after halftime to give the team open reign and see what they could do - instead we stuck with what had got us to a 22-0 deficit ( and lucky to be only that). Unless this team is given a bit of latitude to play off the cuff I can see them becoming very disinterested. I fear last night might be a sign of whats to come.

It's tough to ask people to buy into something if it's not working, even tougher to get people from outside the club to want to join in.

Let's hope this is just the start of the structure and JT lets the players, play their natural footy soon.

little

Unread post by little » Sat 09 May, 2015 7:04 pm

The club is just cactus in general. Every player we release ends up playing rep footy ( Austin, Koroibete, Kane Evans etc. ), we sack coaches on player whims and the juniors we spend all our dough on aren't NRL standard. Don't get too comfortable with JT either. If you remember last season we'd beaten Souths, Dogs etc until injuries killed us and Potters was punted. JT loses a four in a row and the rumours will start circulating.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Sat 09 May, 2015 7:53 pm

When we are paying 650k next year for Lawrence backended contract you'll understand why we aren't recruiting.

LCA
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by LCA » Sun 10 May, 2015 8:43 am

Can I just say I am over the whole "we should never have let Austin go" BS. Sure he's playing well(at the moment) but he's not some kind of superstar in-the-making. I think he would be no more effective in our current squad than Moses or Brooks are, behind a pack that seemingly can't muscle it with the best sides. So I agree with the OP, we need to buy some talent and make some hard decisions to ship some off to Super League.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 10 May, 2015 9:00 am

matchball wrote:When we are paying 650k next year for Lawrence backended contract you'll understand why we aren't recruiting.
In that case i can't see this club doing anything till at least 2017. Though, if our results this time next yr haven't improved, we might have a war chest with no one wanting a bar of us like what's happened to Parra and the Raiders in recent yrs. That would be fun wouldn't it.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Sun 10 May, 2015 9:45 am

little wrote:The club is just cactus in general. Every player we release ends up playing rep footy ( Austin, Koroibete, Kane Evans etc. ), we sack coaches on player whims and the juniors we spend all our dough on aren't NRL standard. Don't get too comfortable with JT either. If you remember last season we'd beaten Souths, Dogs etc until injuries killed us and Potters was punted. JT loses a four in a row and the rumours will start circulating.
No no no,Potter was not liked by Robbie and Benji,things have been sorted and JT has a new board as well...JT could lose ten in a row and it will be"this is what I have to work with"and everything will be hunky dory,isn't this the way of the WTs,the new direction etc etc....

It's no good calling to sack the coach,when he has inferior nrl standard players to work with,this rests entirely with the financial management,and it's no good blaming them if they have no finances to manage..

This will be a long term problem until more money comes into the coffers so we can buy players,til then we have to put up with what we have got...win,lose or draw....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 10 May, 2015 9:54 am

fairdinkum wrote:
hobbo2803 wrote:How many other teams go about recruiting a new roster this way , meaning hedging all of its bets on youth from their junior roster ??

We partly did it in 2005 with our cubs, however we had the additional help of raiding the market in 2004/2005 with buys that turned out to be very good for us i.e Hodgo, Toddy. Princey, Patty, Fatz, Elford and we had some club old heads in buckets and Galea.

There is no reason we cant do it again with the young guys (brooks, moses, teddy, nofo, woods) and the old heads in farah, halatau, patty but for the love of god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN WE PLEASE spend the cash and buy some god damn rep centres, a hardened prop and back rowers.

With the emphasis on HARDENED prop !!!!!!!!!

The whole investing in youth policy is the right way to go but not across the whole park! You have to plug the gaps with some pretty decent players otherwise come 2018 the Tigers will still be spinning their wheels and going no where.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Roosters”