Buy Some Talent

Tiger In The Gong

Buy Some Talent

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:02 pm

Buy some talent and stop taking advantage of our good will.

How many years do we have to hear about potential and next year.

There is a decent team in amongst this rabble but continually propping up local talent just because they are local talent is getting us nowhere.

Hoeter is not an NRL centre, too small not enough fight.

Lawrence is only still in the centres because we just have no one else.

Moses left to right passes tonight were so ordinary i thought i was watching some schoolboy game.

Lovett would not be in the top 32 back rowers in the comp.

No one will ever sign with this club if the club itself doesnt stop hedging its bets on these young guys and actually go hard for the recruits they identify.

king sirro
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:04 pm

Of the opposition nearly score in the first set of 6 of a game it's the attitude that needs fixing first. Then we can judge the talent.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Milky » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:07 pm

Hoeter played well...his defence is great and his attack is fine. I don't know who you were watching.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

Tiger In The Gong

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:09 pm

king sirro wrote:Of the opposition nearly score in the first set of 6 of a game it's the attitude that needs fixing first. Then we can judge the talent.

And what if the attitude comes from looking around the squad and seeing a team that doesnt stack up against the opposition.

Talent breeds confidence, confidence breeds attitude.

Tigersman

Unread post by Tigersman » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:09 pm

He's to slow and to short..

Tigersman since 2013!

fairdinkum

Unread post by fairdinkum » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:12 pm

I just dont get it. The amount of rubbish that has been cut from our roster the last 2 years and adding virtually nothing to it in regards to marque signings (topping up young guys contracts would be no where near the money used to sign rep quality players, look at the cocks, storm, broncs, bunnies and dog line ups) and yet we still dont have anything in the bank? i just dont get it. All i hear on this forum is that we made mistakes in the past?!! WHAT?!! We should be buying for 2016 now! how the hell have we spent 2014, 2015 and 2016's budget in 2012 and 2013 when the team was absolute crap! Where the hell did the cap money go for the last 5 years?! Robbie must be on 2.2mill a year!

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:17 pm

The club can't afford talent. Either they are broke, or we have the absolute most miss managed salary cap of all time. It boggles the mind that we have the roster we have and are struggling with the cap. If you want to attract elite players though, you need to win. The Thurston's Cronk's and Inglis' don't go to clubs with records like ours.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Fri 08 May, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobbo
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 97 times

Unread post by hobbo » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:17 pm

How many other teams go about recruiting a new roster this way , meaning hedging all of its bets on youth from their junior roster ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

Tigersman

Unread post by Tigersman » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:22 pm

Penrith did..

Tigersman since 2013!

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:24 pm

Tigersman wrote:Penrith did..

They are what every club in our position should aspire to build to being.

Tigersman

Unread post by Tigersman » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:30 pm

Yep and they did it a lot quicker than we did and are still doing.

Tigersman since 2013!

fairdinkum

Unread post by fairdinkum » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:31 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:How many other teams go about recruiting a new roster this way , meaning hedging all of its bets on youth from their junior roster ??

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

We partly did it in 2005 with our cubs, however we had the additional help of raiding the market in 2004/2005 with buys that turned out to be very good for us i.e Hodgo, Toddy. Princey, Patty, Fatz, Elford and we had some club old heads in buckets and Galea.

There is no reason we cant do it again with the young guys (brooks, moses, teddy, nofo, woods) and the old heads in farah, halatau, patty but for the love of god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN WE PLEASE spend the cash and buy some god damn rep centres, a hardened prop and back rowers.

The whole investing in youth policy is the right way to go but not across the whole park! You have to plug the gaps with some pretty decent players otherwise come 2018 the Tigers will still be spinning their wheels and going no where.

The_Doc
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by The_Doc » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:38 pm

fairdinkum wrote:I just dont get it. The amount of rubbish that has been cut from our roster the last 2 years and adding virtually nothing to it in regards to marque signings (topping up young guys contracts would be no where near the money used to sign rep quality players, look at the cocks, storm, broncs, bunnies and dog line ups) and yet we still dont have anything in the bank? i just dont get it. All i hear on this forum is that we made mistakes in the past?!! WHAT?!! We should be buying for 2016 now! how the hell have we spent 2014, 2015 and 2016's budget in 2012 and 2013 when the team was absolute crap! Where the hell did the cap money go for the last 5 years?! Robbie must be on 2.2mill a year!
Its quite simple we pay overs whether that's in recruitment or retention, until our club is a club players want to play for that won't change.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:53 pm

Our bench wasn't the best tonight. We fo need to buy some muscle.I think we should of retained Austin for a year or two Moses isn't ready.GET THE CHEQUE BOOK OUT.Problem is the cheques may just bounce!!

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:54 pm

Our bench wasn't the best tonight. We fo need to buy some muscle.I think we should of retained Austin for a year or two Moses isn't ready.GET THE CHEQUE BOOK OUT.Problem is the cheques may just bounce!! :crazy

fairdinkum

Unread post by fairdinkum » Fri 08 May, 2015 11:05 pm

The_Doc wrote:
fairdinkum wrote:I just dont get it. The amount of rubbish that has been cut from our roster the last 2 years and adding virtually nothing to it in regards to marque signings (topping up young guys contracts would be no where near the money used to sign rep quality players, look at the cocks, storm, broncs, bunnies and dog line ups) and yet we still dont have anything in the bank? i just dont get it. All i hear on this forum is that we made mistakes in the past?!! WHAT?!! We should be buying for 2016 now! how the hell have we spent 2014, 2015 and 2016's budget in 2012 and 2013 when the team was absolute crap! Where the hell did the cap money go for the last 5 years?! Robbie must be on 2.2mill a year!
Its quite simple we pay overs whether that's in recruitment or retention, until our club is a club players want to play for that won't change.

That response doesnt fly with me. "we pay overs"- see, this is my point;

To whom do we pay overs?? The kids coming through?? Nofo? Sirro? Lovett? Ava? Sue? We havent got any big signings from anywhere and yet this line gets touted around. I know Rowdy is on a massive contract dating back a number of years and thats why the club is trying to off load him as the investment in him has offered no return. I hear Simona and Teddy agreed to less money to stay with the tigers (and their bros) then what other clubs were tossing around. The new recruits Kevie? Sila? did we pay over for them? I highly doubt it. So to say "we pay overs" is not right. Especially not currently. The club certainly has a history of this from the dark days of Ryan O'Hara to the modern times of Adam Blair but why are we still using the excuse of cap troubles when the decks are cleared? Are we still paying for contracts from 5 years ago? With the exception of Blair we havent signed too many rep quality players in the last 5 years but have certainly cleared a huge chunk in Benji and a few of his mates.

However on the flip side "if" we have to pay overs to bring success to the club then surely its worth a shot. Throw the cap at some decent payers and get them here at any cost. Bring success to the club and then we wont need to pay overs in the future, at least give it a go and throw money at some rep players and get them here. Surely its worth blowing a year or twos worth of cap to give it a go, if it fails, it fails and we are just where we are now, however to do nothing, then spew out "we pay overs" when there is no one at the club that we have recently purchased is just asinine.

Boonboon2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Fri 08 May, 2015 11:28 pm

Well I think given Taylor and Phil Moss have only been on board for 6 months then they probabaly need some time. We have only had a united board for 6 months so some time is fair.

If by then end of 2017 we aren't competing for the top 4 then I will be pissed off but in reality Moss and Taylor only just started this a few months ago.

They got rid of Takarangi day 1 but we will have to pay some of that
Braith Anasta (retired)
Liam Fulton (retired)
Cory Paterson (Salford)
James Gavet (Broncos)
Adam Blair (Broncos)
Blake Austin (Raiders)
Bodene Thompson (Warriors)
Nathan Brown (Rabbitohs)

So in one off season they have opened up a lot of space and with Moltzen going at the end of this year we will clear another lump off our cap.

We also have had to upgrade a lot of blokes
Tedesco- Went from a junior to being offered a fortune from Canberra and being almost Origin
Naqiama - Reserve grader to FG when he resigned the other day
Lawrence - Massively backended contract which is only going to get bigger next year
Simona - From Reserve grader in 2013 to star centre when he resigned this week
Richards - Shouldn't have cost that much
Moses - We would have had to pay money to keep a up and coming star
Brooks - See Moses - The next Joey Johns wouldn't have been free
Taupau - Reserve grade signing from Dogs and we need room in our cap to resign one of the most damaging forwards in the game
Sironen - City Origin player but money wouldn't have been huge
Woods - Up and coming star to Oz and NSW leading prop and Dally M medal leader
Farah - Huge Money and fair enough too
Galloway - Fairly flat Money

So as you can see we have upgraded quite a lot and dealing with a few things.

However in saying that I think you will see 2-3 genuine first graders added to the squad in the back row and centres over the next few weeks.

2015 I would say we will fight it out for 8-11th
2016 top 8 - If we arent in the 8 next year then we really should loose the plot
2017 - Top 4 - No top 8 again then we can be angry

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 08 May, 2015 11:31 pm

Tigersman wrote:Yep and they did it a lot quicker than we did and are still doing.

Sadly, they have Gus, we don't

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Roosters”