Tigers happy with footballing lesson

AmericanHistoryX

Tigers happy with footballing lesson

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:46 pm

Despite getting trounced by a red-hot Roosters side 36-4, Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor says he is happy his side received a mid-year lesson in finals intensity football from one of the main premiership contenders.

Taylor was also happy with the way his troops hung in rather than dropping their heads in the second half and giving up a cricket score, which he said could easily have happened.

"I was really pleased with our effort in the second half, it could have been a really long second half but it wasn't... we fought hard and never gave up," he said.

"[It was a] Massive test for us tonight, there were a lot of things we didn't handle but we never gave up and the second half was really encouraging.

"We didn't handle the Roosters start, they started too strong for us and caused us problems defensively.

"The thing about that is we know where we've got to improve, we know what we've got to do to get ourselves to the point where we can compete with a team like that."

His side conceded an early try then absorbed a stack of pressure with some resolute defence before three quick tries late in the first half made it 22-0 at the break. Rather than getting blown away after the break, the side hung in for a 14-4 second half, which included a long-range Mitch Pearce try from a Tigers error.

"This was our biggest test this year... we're playing against a team that are genuine premiership contenders, they've lost four games in a row. They weren't playing poorly [during those losses], they were playing well.

"That was going to be a semi-final type game and it was. And for us, to get that game, to get a chance to play in a game like that in May was great.

"We're disappointed that the scoreline ended up what it did, but it's great for us – we know where we're at, we know what we've got to do, there's plenty of this season left."

Taylor welcomed the fact the margin stayed "somewhat in control".

"The scoreline in the second half was 14-4, against a team that was red hot in the first half and really blew us off the park," he said.

"To come out and fight like we did, they probably could have scored another try at the death and we had people coming across in cover to save that... there was a lot of fight there.

"That game could have ended up as a game where in the second we were standing behind out goal line regularly not talking to each other, looking like it was the end of the world but it never went that way at all and there was some great fight from the guys to make sure that didn't happen."

Skipper Robbie Farah said the side "learned a good lesson" from the match.

"We just lost the ruck, we got out-muscled," he said.

"We knew they were going to come hard at us and be physical through the middle and we just couldn't handle it. We know where we went wrong and we know how to improve so it's just a matter of putting the work in and learning the lessons from a loss like that."

Totally agree - it will only make us stronger.
Call me crazy, stoopid, braid dead, heck, call me whatever you want - but I enjoyed the game last night. I was thinking it will do a world of good for us from here on in.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Sat 09 May, 2015 1:56 pm

Oh Dear... If there is a lesson been learnt, I cant wait to see what changes he comes up with.

Do Reggies play today?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:01 pm

Tell him he's dreaming.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:04 pm

Jason Taylor is happy with that ? :shock: , If things go really sour his always got the excuse of " This is the playing group i walked into at my disposal we just have to battle on with what we have ".
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:05 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:Oh Dear... If there is a lesson been learnt, I cant wait to see what changes he comes up with.

Do Reggies play today?

Sunday...

I don't think they gave up either.....The Rorters would have beaten all 14 other teams the way they played last night....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:10 pm

JT is a positive chap, but positivity will only get you so far.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:11 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:Oh Dear... If there is a lesson been learnt, I cant wait to see what changes he comes up with.

Do Reggies play today?

Sunday...

I don't think the gave up either.....The Rorters would have beaten all 14 other teams the way they played last night....
agreed... They were at there best on the edges, and this is where they win most games.

On a side note, Pottsy was already sacked by round 9 last year, and he had more wins :lol:
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:13 pm

BS only takes you so far....

Jerry Seinfeld

Unread post by Jerry Seinfeld » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:25 pm

Flippedy wrote:JT is a positive chap, but positivity will only get you so far.

I agree with what JT said.That game should be a good wake up call to our young "superstar" team.Bearing in mind that our first 9 games have included 6 games away from home including 2 we never win(roosters and warriors away)and things arent so bad.We certainly do need a Strong edge running backrower and a good centre.Get those two things and we will be grand final contenders in the next few years with this young squad.

barra
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:33 pm

Not sure what else he is expected to say?

"We are crap!"
"We are simply not going to be competitive, might as well give up now."
"My squad is mostly not NRL standard and I can't wait to get rid of them!"
"My coaching staff are not up to this challenge, anyone available?"
"Anyone else feel like a drink?"

I see a coach who is only concentrating on using positive energy, not negative energy. And in turn trying to keep the squad positive so we don't head into a run of losses. That's been his style so far and it isn't going to change soon.

And the reality is that what he said is actually true. He does have a lot to work on, and a game like that really shines a light on those areas! So back to work, and back to taking baby steps. That is the reality of what he and the squad can do this year.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:40 pm

Geo. wrote:

Do Reggies play today?

Sunday...

I don't think the gave up either.....The Rorters would have beaten all 14 other teams the way they played last night....
agreed effort was there, a few calls and the bounce of the ball made the scoreline a bit worse than it probably should have been. i think 26-10 was more indicitave of how it panned out which isn't half bad given how badly we got outmuscled in the ruck and the absolute rampage the chooks were on after not having won a game in a month.

plenty to learn and improve on in all aspects of the game but beating a team of that calibre is possible even this year if we just keep improving every week.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:44 pm

When asked about the perceived defensive weakness of our halves he chose to deflect the responsibility to our forwards. Didn't he state at the start of the season that his main aim was to improve defence? It is now Round 9 and our defence yesterday was the weakest it has been all year. What's Taylor going to do this week? Is he going to strengthen his forwards with a new player or two or is he going to work his players into the ground with defence training drills? As he clearly indicated he is unlikely to do anything regarding a change his halves, no matter how badly they continue play.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:55 pm

His side conceded an early try then absorbed a stack of pressure with some resolute defence before three quick tries late in the first half made it 22-0 at the break. Rather than getting blown away after the break, the side hung in for a 14-4 second half, which included a long-range Mitch Pearce try from a Tigers error.
yes the defence was good up until those 3 quick tries and yes we didn't fold in the 2nd half, in years gone by they would have put 50 on us, but something still kinda needs to be done.

Our line speed was crap, they rolled right through us in their first set......

Only 1 2nd phase play (from memory) for us.

Kicking game was meh.

Not expecting miracles, but some basics were lost last night.

And take the 10000 hit and get up the refs for that no try, there's been a few times this year where we've had glaring ref mistakes against us.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:08 pm

barra wrote:Not sure what else he is expected to say?

"We are crap!"
"We are simply not going to be competitive, might as well give up now."
"My squad is mostly not NRL standard and I can't wait to get rid of them!"
"My coaching staff are not up to this challenge, anyone available?"
"Anyone else feel like a drink?
"

I see a coach who is only concentrating on using positive energy, not negative energy. And in turn trying to keep the squad positive so we don't head into a run of losses. That's been his style so far and it isn't going to change soon.

And the reality is that what he said is actually true. He does have a lot to work on, and a game like that really shines a light on those areas! So back to work, and back to taking baby steps. That is the reality of what he and the squad can do this year.
Yeah because theyre his only other options :roll:

Weak argument...very weak

Snake
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Snake » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:13 pm

Well I am very happy that the Tigers are happy with that footballing lesson . I think JT is starting to find things difficult .

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:22 pm

Flippedy wrote:JT is a positive chap, but positivity will only get you so far.
I bet what was said behind closed doors to only the team was different ,very different

Tigerspirit

Unread post by Tigerspirit » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:35 pm

stevetiger wrote:Tell him he's dreaming.
What a tosser this coach is... His reminding me of ricky stuart

If we had marshall and austin in the halves,
Koriobete on the wing and our forward pack from early last year we would be killing it

BornBlack&Gold

Unread post by BornBlack&Gold » Sat 09 May, 2015 3:39 pm

Snake wrote:Well I am very happy that the Tigers are happy with that footballing lesson . I think JT is starting to find things difficult .
Yep i agree. He is going to feel the blow torch pretty soon i think.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Roosters”