Young stars ready to stand tall in absence of skipper Robbie Farah

willow

Young stars ready to stand tall in absence of skipper Robbie Farah

Post by willow » Wed 20 May, 2015 7:45 am

Wests Tigers v Cowboys: young stars ready to stand tall in absence of skipper Robbie Farah
This story was published: 11 hours agoMay 19, 20159:11PM

IT IS common knowledge the North Queensland Cowboys struggle without star playmaker Johnathan Thurston — but you’d never have guessed the Wests Tigers do it just as tough without their own skipper and new NSW leader Robbie Farah.

The Tigers and Cowboys will do battle out west at Campbelltown on Saturday night minus their Origin stars, including Farah and Thurston.

While the Cowboys’ win percentage drops alarmingly from 54 per cent to 30 per cent when Thurston is unavailable, the numbers are equally damning for the Tigers without Farah.

Farah doesn’t have the bag of tricks like Thurston, but his work rate and leadership is crucial for the joint venture.

Throw in the fact the Tigers will also miss NSW prop Aaron Woods — arguably the game’s best front-rower — and Cowboys’ duo Matt Scott and James Tamou, and tipsters will be scratching their heads when it comes time to enter their tips.

Big Keith Galloway was happy to put his hand up and lead from the front for the Tigers, especially without his bearded mate Woods beside him.

“I haven’t played well the past couple of weeks, and now without Woodsy there, I need to step up big time,’’ Galloway said.

“He does a hell of a lot of work, and he’s our forwards leader.

“He’s got a massive engine, he’s really fit, he’s got a good footy brain and good footwork. He’s the whole package, and will only get better with age.

“I started off the season OK, I missed a couple of weeks with a shoulder injury, and I need to start picking it up again.’’

Halfback Luke Brooks and fullback James Tedesco — two players who will feature on the Origin arena in the coming years — told The Daily Telegraph they would have to shoulder some of the responsibility now Farah was gone.

“It will be a good challenge for us without two of our experienced guys, and we don’t have too much other experience because of a lot of the young guys here,’’ Tedesco said.

“Missing their leadership will be the biggest thing. Woodsy is our best forward in terms of metres and hit-ups, while Farah takes that leadership role and takes some of the pressure off us guys in the spine.’’

Tedesco said not having to defend Thurston’s kicking game would be welcomed, given the Queenslander’s ability to forever find the corners the last time he played against him.

Brooks was keen to test himself against Thurston, but from a team point of view, “we’re glad he won’t be there’’.

“’JT’ competes in every play, he’s always around the ball, and in defence, if a team makes a break, he’s back there trying to stop them — he’s just a competitor,’’ Brooks said.

The Tigers have disappointed the past couple of weeks, especially against Newcastle when they were nearly at full strength, and will be keen for a consistently 80-minute performance.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Wed 20 May, 2015 7:56 am

groundhog day

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 20 May, 2015 8:15 am

Adonbilivit...
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 20 May, 2015 8:16 am

Another big test for the young guns.......time will tell how they cope.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Wed 20 May, 2015 8:39 am

willow wrote:but you’d never have guessed the Wests Tigers do it just as tough without their own skipper and new NSW leader Robbie Farah.

Ummm i could have guessed. In fact every single Tigers supporter could have guessed.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Wed 20 May, 2015 8:45 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:groundhog day
Its a great story isn't it. Instead of "we're gonna" story I want to see a "we won a game" story.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 20 May, 2015 8:50 am

willow wrote:Farah doesn’t have the bag of tricks like Thurston, but his work rate and leadership is crucial for the joint venture.
Even worse than that Gong...how dare they print blatant lies...Wests Tigers Forum.. :roll:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Wed 20 May, 2015 9:28 am

No one talks it up better than us, we can copy and paste every article :lol:
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 20 May, 2015 11:27 am

Spin and more spin, but really after last weeks effort what can they say to get the punters up for Saturday night????

I know they have to keep churning this stuff out to keep the brand name healthy and try and maintain some interest in the place,but if they actually tried to play some football, they might have something positive to write about another than the same spin we get every year.