Sironen excited...

Goose

Re: Sironen excited...

Post by Goose » Fri 22 May, 2015 9:44 am

Also some poor judges of what players are asked to do in a game and the roles they play.

Id suspect the coach would be reasonably happy with Curtis.

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Fri 22 May, 2015 10:48 am

Goose wrote:Also some poor judges of what players are asked to do in a game and the roles they play.

Id suspect the coach would be reasonably happy with Curtis.

And also looking at ways to get Sirro more ball.

fairdinkum

Post by fairdinkum » Fri 22 May, 2015 12:54 pm

formerguest wrote:Gridiron player that converted to league my arse. He picked up a scholarship (Hawaii I recall?) on the back of the coat tails of another Aussie (Colin something?) and his schoolboy exploits. He was only ever a gridiron experiment.

Whilst he did get selected for Australia early in his career (second year in grade from memory), it was as part of a Kangaroo tour squad of twenty six? players. And yes, he was thought of as soft for such a big bloke by many peers and fans alike, from the juniors and through his first few years of grade, despite having already played SOO. Telltails memory is fine.

Just like telltailes you're wrong too.

Paul was selected for Australia in his first year of league. He debut in 1986 and was part of the famous 28 man 1986 Kangaroo Tour Squad. He played PNG first and France second. He did not get selected in the ashes test as Neibling, Meninga and Cleal were infront of a 20 year old Sironen, he did play in about 8 or 10 of the secondary tour matches.

At 18 Paul got a scholarship to the Uni of Hawaii for Gridiron to pursue the NFL as a professional career. The same UNI Colin Scotts was attending. Colin Scotts was drafted into the NFL in 1987, Sirro had already played for Australia in League by this time. Paul left after a year or 2 of finding with gridiron his involvement was too limited and converted to league as a career.

"And yes, he was thought of as soft for such a big bloke by many peers and fans alike, from the juniors and through his first few years of grade, despite having already played SOO"

This part is just pure conjecture. The circles i ran in, this certainly was never the case. He held his starting position in a dominating forward pack that included Roach, Brooks, Hemsley, Pearce, McGuire, Edmed, Hardwick. Sirro was a giant of a man that had pace and could bash people in defense. He was unstoppable. I just hope his son can be half as good.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 22 May, 2015 4:44 pm

Tigermama wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
Telltails wrote:
Tigermama wrote:He's a big boy but lacks agression. Come on Curtis, fire up on Saturday. Pleeease. :pray:
For those of us around long enough to remember when Sirro senior played he used to cop plenty as well in the early days of his career - along similar lines. Fortunately for him he was less exposed to the criticism - before the days of social media. Often wonder how it affects the players mentally, being exposed constantly to negative comments from fans, Not only does the modern player need to be more physically fit and tough these days, they also have to be made of teflon.

LOL Telltails.. I only wonder about us poor WT supporters, having to endure poor perfomances year after year and a hell of a lot of losses.
Unfortunately we don't get paid the big money and are not made of teflon either 8-)
Yes - suckers for punishment - but when we do get the victories it makes them so much sweeter. Could definitely do with a few more... and lets hope Sirro does fire up on Saturday.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Fri 22 May, 2015 5:20 pm

Curtis Sironen has the makings of a very good first grader, however he is happy to tackle opponents when we need a 2nd rower who will smash them and make them think twice about running down his side, whether this can be taught remains to be seen

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 22 May, 2015 9:06 pm

fairdinkum wrote:
formerguest wrote:Gridiron player that converted to league my arse. He picked up a scholarship (Hawaii I recall?) on the back of the coat tails of another Aussie (Colin something?) and his schoolboy exploits. He was only ever a gridiron experiment.

Whilst he did get selected for Australia early in his career (second year in grade from memory), it was as part of a Kangaroo tour squad of twenty six? players. And yes, he was thought of as soft for such a big bloke by many peers and fans alike, from the juniors and through his first few years of grade, despite having already played SOO. Telltails memory is fine.

Just like telltailes you're wrong too.

Paul was selected for Australia in his first year of league. He debut in 1986 and was part of the famous 28 man 1986 Kangaroo Tour Squad. He played PNG first and France second. He did not get selected in the ashes test as Neibling, Meninga and Cleal were infront of a 20 year old Sironen, he did play in about 8 or 10 of the secondary tour matches.

At 18 Paul got a scholarship to the Uni of Hawaii for Gridiron to pursue the NFL as a professional career. The same UNI Colin Scotts was attending. Colin Scotts was drafted into the NFL in 1987, Sirro had already played for Australia in League by this time. Paul left after a year or 2 of finding with gridiron his involvement was too limited and converted to league as a career.

"And yes, he was thought of as soft for such a big bloke by many peers and fans alike, from the juniors and through his first few years of grade, despite having already played SOO"

This part is just pure conjecture. The circles i ran in, this certainly was never the case. He held his starting position in a dominating forward pack that included Roach, Brooks, Hemsley, Pearce, McGuire, Edmed, Hardwick. Sirro was a giant of a man that had pace and could bash people in defense. He was unstoppable. I just hope his son can be half as good.
Are you fair dinkum? Having a go at me when I have pretty much well stated what you have replied with and have placed question marks with them as these things occurred thirty odd years ago. My remarks are all from memory, no google or whatever for me.

There is no conjecture about Telltails earlier "soft" statement, he'll even Paul would readily admit it. Shared the field with him plenty of times and later chatted with him a bit during his top flight career, as Curtis' mother lived next door to my long term girlfriend. He has dad's size, but looks just like mum, particularly the eyes.