Tigers "not as bad as it looks": Taylor

Tigerdave

Re: Tigers "not as bad as it looks": Taylor

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 24 May, 2015 5:52 am

"We can't go the other way around either, we can't say let's throw the ball around and hope to get some points and we know that when we tire we'll let some in but hopefully we've scored enough," Taylor said.

"That's been the motto at Wests Tigers for a long time, they're the facts. But it hasn't worked since 2005 and we're about changing that.
Look, besides 2010 and 2011...........it's hard to argue with that.

Maybe the idea of getting our defence right first is the way to go.

2005 was a great year to watch the game, shame rule changes have made the game less exciting.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 24 May, 2015 6:02 am

Tigerdave wrote:
"We can't go the other way around either, we can't say let's throw the ball around and hope to get some points and we know that when we tire we'll let some in but hopefully we've scored enough," Taylor said.

"That's been the motto at Wests Tigers for a long time, they're the facts. But it hasn't worked since 2005 and we're about changing that.
Look, besides 2010 and 2011...........it's hard to argue with that.

Maybe the idea of getting our defence right first is the way to go.

2005 was a great year to watch the game, shame rule changes have made the game less exciting.
I understand this, but you shouldn't sacrifice a whole season just to improve defence. He's an NRL Coach for Gods sake find some balance. And he calls last nights defensive effort "tough". THE COWS THREW NOTHING AT US. Playing Brooks at dummy half for 30mins instead of Luani or Cherrington was a woeful Coaching decision

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 24 May, 2015 6:22 am

yes very true, the first 8 games we managed to score on average 22 points I think.

Is there a "defensive" panic going on given we threw away some leads?

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Sun 24 May, 2015 6:41 am

Having great defense would be a welcome change to a tigers team. But calling last nights game a defensive win when we lost to a cowboys team missing a bunch of stars including their two starting halves is hardly a point of celebration.

spearby

Post by spearby » Sun 24 May, 2015 7:06 am

what a load of rubbish how about the supporters who paid money to go and watch that in the cold please Jason admit it was bloody terrible . give the people their money back and buy them a cup of coffee and say your sorry. if we are near the salary cap lord help us .is farah and woods that good we have nothing over rated over paid give the licence to perth :brick:

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sun 24 May, 2015 7:21 am

spearby wrote:what a load of rubbish how about the supporters who paid money to go and watch that in the cold please Jason admit it was bloody terrible . give the people their money back and buy them a cup of coffee and say your sorry. if we are near the salary cap lord help us .is farah and woods that good we have nothing over rated over paid give the licence to perth :brick:
He did admit it was bloody terrible

haberfield tiger

Post by haberfield tiger » Sun 24 May, 2015 7:52 am

tough match to watch and really was a tough grinding game. there are some players that taylor has to work with that are not up to nrl standard. i think another clean out at the end of yr is on the cards across all grades, defensive effort was excellent. last night proves without robbie farah we are mothing in attack... cherrington should be given a chance nxt time robbie is out, he is impressive.

Tuiaki Chicken Wings

Post by Tuiaki Chicken Wings » Sun 24 May, 2015 7:53 am

jirskyr wrote:Unfortunately I think too many fans are far to quick to call the coach crap after a couple of bad performances. Tonight's game sucked but to see blokes like Naiqama drop the ball over the line, or Tedesco fumble a kick, I don't know what the coach is supposed to do about that.

Black'n'White is right, we dominated the scoring opportunities and then sort of ran out of puff, but we had blokes in strange positions everywhere.

So stepping back for a minute from the pain and exasperation, I gave some real thought to what Taylor was saying. He clearly is not an idiot and he clearly has ideas, despite the result or anything else negative about season 2015 so far. I mean Wayne Bennett had a shocker last year with the Knights, and people were so quick to write him off, but results don't always reflect talent.

What Taylor has 100% correct is that the Tigers have always hoped to score enough points to outdo the defensive deficiencies. He is also right that for the past 10 years that strategy has not been successful. The teams that consistently make and win the finals have their defensive platform as priority.

Last time attack was dominant over defence was when we won it, and arguably it made for better football viewing. Since then, we've had some awesome wins and some tragic losses, and you have never really known what to expect, hence why Channel 9 plays us so often, because the games are often heart-attack material.

So... is Taylor right, do we need to endure pain and some boring footy before this team can truly be an ongoing finals contender? I wish the answer was no, but maybe it is true.

People on the forum are already talking about how boring the game-plan is, that they don't want to watch 5 x 1-out ending with a bomb. Some are saying they'd rather go back to the old razzle-dazzle Tigers, who had plenty of losses but at least they weren't boring.

BUT do we really want to re-live 2006-2015 over the next 10 years? Honestly, aren't 10 games of footy too early to call whether we are very slowly going in the right direction? Maybe we just have to cop a painful season or two if we really want to be regular finals contenders?

I don't know if JT is the man to make the turn-around happen, but I do respect the frankness he gave tonight, that ignoring the game for a minute, that the Tigers plans of the last 10 years have mostly failed and he is trying to rebuild the whole thing from scratch. So far it's not been very pretty, but rebuilds rarely are until they are finished.
Sorry but the plan of trying to have 5 one out runs, mind you with a pack that wouldn't scare an under 5s team. then a midfield Bomb is not a plan. It's coaching ineptness at its prime. At least give these young players a chance to play, don't "stifle" the attack because apparently our defensive structures take more out of us, that's complete BS. We have a mobile pack it's not big, similar to Dragons, they are reminding me of when we played 05 throwing the ball around set plays in there own half and look how that's going to them along with having the best Defence in the comp. Now they don't have a great team with lots of superstars but because they aren't playing the one out crap they are winning games.

And endure another year or two of pain, sorry but Wests Tigers fans have put up with pain since inception. We know as a team we don't have world beaters however we want to see some progress and that is something that we are definitely not seeing what so ever.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:02 am

I thought Santi and Buchanan had good runs and played well for young blokes with hardly any NRL experience...

WTs last night made L. Coote look like the worlds best fullback....even the commentators said that they should try something else rather than kick to him...

All I can say is apparently we are playing to a structure,everything has been said before,leaves nothing much more to say...Nothing excites me more than watching the great WTs play I love the club...BUT last night my missus made me sit up and watch a movie called
50 shades of grey with her ...now that was exciting,a fitting end an otherwise boring night...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:02 am

Black'n'White wrote:
The_Doc wrote:Taylor hasn't got a clue, clutching at straws with all that dribble.
Brooks at dummy half for 20 mins was enough said about his tactics.
I sound like a Taylor lackey, I am not, I can understand what he is trying to accomplish though his methods sometimes have me confused. Siro to the halves and Brooks to hooker was a bone head. Siro has the skills to do the service role justice, yet still work to Brooks' plan in his ear.

That was the first pure bonehead Taylor move for mine.... though in the back of my mind, it kind of reeks of our direction and play being directed around the park from hooker, thus our play dictated by the 9 thus natural thought process in admitting that Brooks is our decision progression after Robbie.

Im also with you BnW re Taylor however given the cowboys had a new player in the 6,7and 9 position surely a few set plays would have exposed their lack of combination.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:06 am

Black'n'White wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Lol you cannot compare who both sides had out . They had their from row and both halves out. One of whom is the best in the game. They were massively disadvantaged, to argue anything othwise is absolute ignorance.
Honestly, we were even in the front row stakes, they lost halves and we lost our SOO hooker and captain and its not like we had a marked advantage in halves experience at that... both our potent attacking centres/wingers were out ( Simona for half the game)..

If you watch the game without the emotional blinkers, we dominated the scoring opportunities by a mile, field position as well... though we lost due to a lack of finishers, Noffa and Simona obvious upgrades to what we fielded in Hoeter and Lawrence for hlaf a game.

Positional battle on a man to man experience through starting forwards and halves, we were barely in front experience wise, though markedly in front position and opportunity wise. It was our lack of good honest finishers was the difference... dont blame the organisation or the pigs, we won those stats.
I am with you on most of that BnW, but thought we were run roughshod through the middle and only got field position via some booming kicks on occasion. Whilst we struggled to gain forty plus metres a set, they were routinely over the halfway line by the fourth tackle, with Taumalolo seeming to get fifteen to twenty each and every run. Geez, even Hannant looked like an SOO player again last night.

Still, I don't blame the players so much as the coach for allowing it to occur without changing it up even a little. I thought our halves (when actually playing in position) did well considering we were owned in the middle.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:13 am

Who is Taylor trying to fool? " not as bad as it looks" :shock: pfff. Trying convincing our paid Members that have to put up with that garbage brand of Footy his dishing out and for them to get excited about our next home game.

If we can't get some serious signings for next year which i think we have no hope off, our memberships will be an all time low.

Soon they will need to do what the Titans do? Buy one get one free to every home Titans game, they did that last year as well.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

grrrrrrrrrr

Post by grrrrrrrrrr » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:20 am

Exactly. Why must our attack suffer because we are improving defensively ??? It's not NFL. The side must play both facets of the game. But without simona / noffa out there there wasn't enough speed to worry the opposition.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:25 am

Just so pleased we have the bye next weekend so I do not have to endure another 80 minutes of Taylorball. Nobody really expected a fairy tale in 2015, but we did expect to see a team that was on the improve and give us real hope for the future,instead we see a team that has gone back to square one and are boring the punters to death.

The image the club is now creating is terribly negative,attracting sponsors and members will be nearly impossible not to mention getting any quality players to sign on the dotted line.Iam not saying sack Taylor,the last thing we need is another coach,but he needs to bite the bullet and introduce some football into his game plans.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:46 am

Outcome could of been different if the last play options had been better and we built a bit of pressure. Seemed like in the first half every time we got down there we made an error early in the tackle count.

Second half i think they looked like they had no idea what to do when we got into their 20. Disappointing game but i will defer to the coach on this as he has a better knowledge of what they are trying to achieve.

I will be sending him a message if support to keep going this week and I would urge any genuine WT fan to do the same. He is trying to change the culture of this team in the hope we can build a sustained period of success. Heads up chaps.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:54 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:Lol you cannot compare who both sides had out . They had their from row and both halves out. One of whom is the best in the game. They were massively disadvantaged, to argue anything othwise is absolute ignorance.
Lol The form prop in the game and NSW captain mixed with no centers missing. For our team considering how young and inexperienced we are it is just as important.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Sun 24 May, 2015 9:01 am

foreveratiger wrote:Who is Taylor trying to fool? " not as bad as it looks" :shock: pfff. Trying convincing our paid Members that have to put up with that garbage brand of Footy his dishing out and for them to get excited about our next home game.

If we can't get some serious signings for next year which i think we have no hope off, our memberships will be an all time low.

Soon they will need to do what the Titans do? Buy one get one free to every home Titans game, they did that last year as well.
Just about says it all. Was there last night, not far from the bench and gotta say that there seemed to be a fair bit of frustration with what was happening. Mind you nothing compared to how me and my mate felt. No go forward, no frigging nothing from the backs. Lawrence is a f/g imposter the same as a few others. Trouble is the tigers were beaten soundly in the other two games as well.
We have gone backwards big time and who would want to come to play with this mob. Just about over it and will be seriously thinking about wether to renew membership again, over it all really.
Noticed advertising at the ground for the " meet the coaches night", is that to give them tips ?
I dislike sowfs immensely

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 24 May, 2015 9:02 am

Mighty Tiger wrote:
Lol The form prop in the game and NSW captain mixed with no centers missing. For our team considering how young and inexperienced we are it is just as important.

Form prop in the game? I didn't know Jesse Bromwich played for us. You can say with a straight face that we were the ones who were disadvantaged? Please