WESTS Tigers Team V Titans...

larrycorowa

Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Titans...

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 7:21 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:We need a backrower on the bench in case of injuries. Lawrence shifts to backline and need a new second rower, Lovett is the man and better suited to coming off the bench to provide some impact.
Lovett could barely break out of a wet paper bag. We've got two perfectly good second rowers in Sue and Taupau, so more props on the bench could easily accommodate a reshuffle while keeping the punch.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Well Sue is a starting prop and Taupau is lock. Taupau is not suited to big minutes, so if you lose a back early, Lawrence moves to backline, Sue moves to cover for Lawrence, which means you may need a bench prop to play large minutes (Ava, Lodge who are not accustomed to playing big minutes or Galloway off a month break). I reckon a 3 prop bench with Cherrington would lack flexibility IMHO.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 2:57 am

larrycorowa wrote:
VanillaThunder wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:We need a backrower on the bench in case of injuries. Lawrence shifts to backline and need a new second rower, Lovett is the man and better suited to coming off the bench to provide some impact.
Lovett could barely break out of a wet paper bag. We've got two perfectly good second rowers in Sue and Taupau, so more props on the bench could easily accommodate a reshuffle while keeping the punch.

Well Sue is a starting prop and Taupau is lock. Taupau is not suited to big minutes, so if you lose a back early, Lawrence moves to backline, Sue moves to cover for Lawrence, which means you may need a bench prop to play large minutes (Ava, Lodge who are not accustomed to playing big minutes or Galloway off a month break). I reckon a 3 prop bench with Cherrington would lack flexibility IMHO.
It wouldn't be the most versatile option, you're right, but I feel like it'd be the best for us given our options. Lodge can play lock if Taupau struggles, Halatau will play a bit of backrow anyway, and I think Ava is very underrated in terms of work rate.
To throw up another option, Halatau straight to back row for Lawrence, and Cherrington on to play the rest of the game. Sue and Marty would both stay and by and large the forward rotation wouldn't be effected. If Manaia struggles with fitness then Halatau can go back to hooker.
I see Lodge as more of a 13 anyway, he's much more effective on the 3rd or 4th hit up of the set rather than being our main go-forward. The sooner we start playing him like one, the more we'll see from Taupau I think.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:25 am

We could play a big bench and hope for the best. Not sure that Lawrence will get through a full game in the backrow. Maybe Halatau shifts from 9 to backrow to give him a break if needed, but Halatau would need to play 80.

Isn't Lodge giving Marty a rest now?

Pierre M7

Post by Pierre M7 » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 10:59 am

LATE MAIL: @WestsTigers pair @curtis_sironen (neck) and @DNofoaluma (knee) to miss #NRLTigersTitans. @7NewsSydney @7Sport
"One flick and they're gone"

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:07 am

interesting to see how this changes the team. guessing lawrence back to center, lovett and sue in the back row with lodge and mania on the bench

marzie

Post by marzie » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:51 am

http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/06/04/ ... for-tigers

Sironen, Nofoaluma in doubt for Tigers

Wests Tigers second-rower Curtis Sironen is in doubt for Friday night's clash against Gold Coast at Leichhardt Oval after complaining of a neck issue.

Centre David Nofoaluma has also been struggling with a virus all week, with a decision to be made after Thursday's captain's run.

But it's the injury to Sironen that is of major concern to coach Jason Taylor, who revealed the 21-year-old could be sidelined for some time.

"Yeah, it could be something that'll keep him out for a few weeks," Taylor said on Thursday.

"The doctor's not concerned if he plays this week but at the same time it'll be one where we'll have to make the smart decisions.

"It's just something that's come on in the last couple of weeks.

"There wasn't an incident [against North Queensland].

"It's just a bit of weakness that's developing in his arm that's neck related."

The Titans were pipped 19-18 in their season-opener on the Gold Coast, when key men Greg Bird, David Taylor and Beau Falloon were stood down after being slapped with court notices relating to drug offences.

Now they travel to Sydney just one day after Daly Cherry-Evans' dramatic backflip has left them without a marquee player for 2016.

But Taylor insisted the Titans were in good enough form to overcome their off-field woes.

"It's not as though it's somebody at their club already," he said.

"Last time we played the Titans it was off the back of their issues pre-season which we were really confident was going to boost their intensity and it did.

"It was a really tough game for us.

"This one's probably a little bit different but regardless, they're playing well.

"They were really unlucky not to take Souths into extra time last week.

"It doesn't matter what it does, they're playing well."

Taylor said two Titans in particular posed a huge threat to the two points on offer Friday night.

Both sides currently sit a win outside the top eight.

"Ryan James really caused us some problems when we played them first in round one," he said.

"And James Roberts, I thought his performance last week was really special.

"So they've got some key players that we're ready for."

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 1:24 pm

Siro and Nofo in doubt for Friday's game....

Siro has a neck injury and Nofo has a virus...

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 1:55 pm

Jeez. Lawrence to the centres, back row of Sue and Lovett? Keef to start, bench of Cherrington, Ava, Lodge and Santi? Not what I'd want to see but what I'm expecting.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:50 pm

Nors05 wrote:As I have 0 NRL experience or knowledge I thought I would share my armchair critic thoughts:

- Cherrington needs a run. I don't care if his defense is an abortion, I have faith his attack will make up for it
- Tupau and Sue need to swap. Tupau is a good back rower, but he is a phenomenal prop. From what I have seen Sue has a better motor, less impact but doesn't tire easily. Swap them back, it makes sense.
- Our backline is beyond s*** without Simona, we need a proven FG right centre ASAP
- Nofo is a winger. He is a winger. He is a winger. I don't know how else to put it.
- Sironen and Lawrence together in the back row is a big risk but it is one we have to take. Sironen and Lawrence have potential to be very very good back rowers but still unproven.

It is clear that we need to sign the following for 2016:
1 Centre
2 Back rowers
1 Bench impact prop
Agree completely. I would also add WTF is Halatau doing at hooker again. He had an absolute shocker the other week especially when he failed to be dummy half on their line and they just stepped round and picked it up. Outrageous.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:58 pm

From the JT interview on the WT website re Siro's neck:

First - "Curtis Sironen is in a fair bit of doubt with a neck issue"
Then - "With Curtis, it could be something that will keep him out for a few weeks"
But wait - "The doctor isn't concerned if he plays this week..."
Clear as mud...

It's 'very Wests Tigers' to get a bye and a 2 week break and come back with more injuries than you had before the bye :cry:

dave_farrell

Post by dave_farrell » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 6:56 pm

just on nrl 360 Sironen is out tomorrow night

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 7:53 pm

dave_farrell wrote:just on nrl 360 Sironen is out tomorrow night

Hopefully Sue to the backrow then & Lodge to start at prop.

Any news on Nofo?

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 8:10 pm

Said later on 360 that Nofo was ruled out with virus.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 8:44 pm

tiga4eva wrote:Said later on 360 that Nofo was ruled out with virus.

Really hope lawrence stays in the back row, but then who else can play in the centre's?

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 8:49 pm

Anyone know the record of titans @ Leichhardt?

I cannot remember a game the titans have played at Leichhardt to be honest?

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 9:08 pm

tsjonathan wrote:Anyone know the record of titans @ Leichhardt?

We have played the Titans 5 times at Leichhardt 3-2 win record
They beat us 22-6 last year

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 9:29 am

bathursttiger wrote:
tsjonathan wrote:Anyone know the record of titans @ Leichhardt?

We have played the Titans 5 times at Leichhardt 3-2 win record
They beat us 22-6 last year

Maybe be a closer game tonight I think considering the weather.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 9:59 am

greatodensraven wrote:
tiga4eva wrote:Said later on 360 that Nofo was ruled out with virus.

Really hope lawrence stays in the back row, but then who else can play in the centre's?

Scary thought having Lawrence matched up against t the Titans speeders, could get ugly