How many expected at Leichhardt Oval?

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: How many expected at Leichhardt Oval?

Post by Russell » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 9:02 am

gallagher wrote:Utter crap

That's not an answer - that is a "I haven't got an answer" so you say Utter Crap.

Say whatever you like - lease at least give an intelligent reason for why it is crap.


Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 9:05 am

simonthetiger wrote:I wonder how long ANZ will cough up 100k for when we are playing the titans there and get 6k??

Not too long i would reckon.....and then there is the supporters that would just stop goin.....i wouldnt be goin to games if they are all at ANZ,i will be watching at home on tele.....there goes one membership,i wonder how many more??
That's two

angry ant
Member
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am

Post by angry ant » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 3:01 pm

gallagher wrote:
angry ant wrote:All this talk of the Tigers missing out on $100k is laughable. Mayer himself quoted this week in response to a question stated that Campbo only members are 2200 and Leichhardt 3500. Lets do the numbers in regards to Leichhardt, cheapest Adult package for Leichhardt membership is $86 for gen admin, kids $56 and premium $139. So on average lets assume its the $86 x 3500 = $301,000 for 4 games.
The prev game at Leichhardt attracted over 13,000 and would have made the club somewhere around $200-$300k (lets assume 10000 tickets sold at $25 each = $250k + merch, sponsors, corporate packages).

So they move all games to ANZ, how many Leichhardt/Campbo members only would upgrade to ANZ? I couldn't imagine too many. How long then until ANZ drop the hire fee they pay to a club that attracts a few thousand to a home game? What will be the financial cost in losing the areas of Balmain and Campbelltown with no connection to a community other than a couple of coaching clinics run by injured/lower grade players or open training sessions only run on weekdays?

If that exact game was played at ANZ on Friday night with the same circumstances of an underperforming team against the Titans what would the crowd have been, 2000-3000 maybe?? Possibly a few extra ANZ members who contribute no funds to the club and a whole bunch of free tickets! There are also game day costs of playing a game at ANZ. What percentage of merchandise sales sold at the venue go to ANZ? Surely also the Wests Tigers game day staff/cheerleaders/merchandise/security don't work for free...
About your figures on the profit at LO. Successive CEO's have stated we need to get around 12,000 to a game to break even. Why would they lie about that? Your figures dont even take into costs of staging the event.
About getting 2000 to ANZ. Go and have a look at our lowest drawing crowds. ALL of then have been at LO or CSS.
Now, who are the biggest,strongest clubs in Sydney? Those that play out of crap holes or those who play out of stadiums?
Well of course the smallest crowds have been at LO and CSS that is because they usually get the worst games! Isn't it a contractual demand by ANZ that they pick the games they want?? When was the last time that Parra, Souths, Dragons, Bulldogs played at LO or CSS? What crowd do you think would have been at ANZ if that game under all exact circumstances was held there Friday? There is no comparison to what we will see this Friday night.

As for the profit/loss of LO and CSS, I imagine it is just the usual CEO trying to guarantee an income rather than risk the potential rewards/losses of the unknown crowd. It makes no sense that it takes 12,000 people to break even when as a minimum at $20 per head would equate to $240k in revenue. This article explains that the hire fee was $70k so where is the other $170k being spent on gameday expenses? Is it on the garbage bags to protect the speakers which weren't working again on the hill side? The Zorb ball for halftime 'entertainment' http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/west ... mfrti.html

Yes the biggest clubs play out of the biggest venues but they invest a lot of time, money and research into promoting a culture within their local areas. When was the last time we saw Robbie out engaging in the community?

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 3:42 pm

Well of course the smallest crowds have been at LO and CSS that is because they usually get the worst games! Isn't it a contractual demand by ANZ that they pick the games they want?? When was the last time that Parra, Souths, Dragons, Bulldogs played at LO or CSS? What crowd do you think would have been at ANZ if that game under all exact circumstances was held there Friday? There is no comparison to what we will see this Friday night.

As for the profit/loss of LO and CSS, I imagine it is just the usual CEO trying to guarantee an income rather than risk the potential rewards/losses of the unknown crowd. It makes no sense that it takes 12,000 people to break even when as a minimum at $20 per head would equate to $240k in revenue. This article explains that the hire fee was $70k so where is the other $170k being spent on gameday expenses? Is it on the garbage bags to protect the speakers which weren't working again on the hill side? The Zorb ball for halftime 'entertainment' http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/west ... mfrti.html

Yes the biggest clubs play out of the biggest venues but they invest a lot of time, money and research into promoting a culture within their local areas. When was the last time we saw Robbie out engaging in the community?[/quote]
I find it ridiculous to suggest that 3 or 4 CEO'S have led about the costs of staging a game at LO or CSS. Someone over the years with that sort of knowledge would have called them out on it. Public liability wouldn't be cheap to start with
your last comment about investing time, money into the community is valid and i agree with you. I don't think I've said that we move to ANZ and that's the last thing we need to do to turn the club around. But the extra $800k a year would be a good start and a big help.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 3:53 pm

Russell wrote:
gallagher wrote:Utter crap

That's not an answer - that is a "I haven't got an answer" so you say Utter Crap.

Say whatever you like - lease at least give an intelligent reason for why it is crap.
Canterburys last season at Belmore they averaged 8000. Your utter crap suggestion is that they moved to homebush because belmores capacity at 16000 was too small for them. Tell me how that isn't utter crap.


User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 5:04 pm

Its all good and well to get the extra cash on offer at ANZ but geez the big stadiums get used and abused a lot. Look at the state of the playing surface today for bulldogs dragons game. It looks like crap. Its like this few periods during the year every year.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 5:34 pm

A great game of footy and your put off by the grass looking worn. Amazing

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22857
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

They might lose a few diehards in the short term if they leave the suburban grounds, but they'll be back. If not, new supporters will pop up in their place. Its not going to kill the club, that's for sure.

angry ant
Member
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am

Post by angry ant » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 7:42 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:They might lose a few diehards in the short term if they leave the suburban grounds, but they'll be back. If not, new supporters will pop up in their place. Its not going to kill the club, that's for sure.
I don't think they will come back though. We saw with the run in 2005 and 2010 that a lot of old supporters of Balmain and Wests rode the wave of success but the drop-off in attendance since the 2012 season has been alarming. According to the numbers we average around 18,000 attendance from 2004 to 2012 but the last 3 years hover around the 13,000 http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/wests_tigers.html

Yes having a successful team helps with the numbers but we had some pretty horrible years (and 3 good ones) between 2004 and 2012 and the numbers stayed constant. Since then though we have lost on average 5000 people per game who haven't reappeared in 3 years.

Therefore in the short term I do not believe we cannot afford to alienate more supporters for some short term cash. We need to grow the support in the current areas then if the numbers get back around the 18000 we can seek to move more games to ANZ. Not that I think ANZ is the answer however, the numbers the last few years shows that most clubs (apart from Broncos, South and Dogs) would be best suited to a 20,000 stadium and a dozen "blockbusters" across the rest of the comp held at ANZ/SFS.

It would also help having a 'progressive/non-abrasive' CEO & Captain. I think Woods could be a great captain and just what the area needs, kids & adults love him and I cannot imagine him asking for stress leave during the season. As for CEO, is Richard Branson available lol

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 8:34 pm

gallagher wrote:A great game of footy and your put off by the grass looking worn. Amazing
Looking worn? It looked like a patchwork quilt, real amateur hour for so called world class stadium. It looked like it had been re-turfed in major parts.

SFS gets just as bad and has been worse in recent years. But don't worry about players risking injury, we need our fans and corporate boxes catered for.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 8:47 pm

glebe_tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:A great game of footy and your put off by the grass looking worn. Amazing
Looking worn? It looked like a patchwork quilt, real amateur hour for so called world class stadium. It looked like it had been re-turfed in major parts.

SFS gets just as bad and has been worse in recent years. But don't worry about players risking injury, we need our fans and corporate boxes catered for.
Hahaha talk about clutching at straws. I guess chelsea will only come back again if they can play at Leichhsrdt. Do you think playing at ANZ will fade your curtains aswell?

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 9:04 pm

Who gives a rats about Chelsea and their exhibition game? Comparing a nuffy game like that to playing at one of our suburban grounds? You're clutching something else and it ain't straws.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 9:21 pm

glebe_tiger wrote:Who gives a rats about Chelsea and their exhibition game? Comparing a nuffy game like that to playing at one of our suburban grounds? You're clutching something else and it ain't straws.
Well millions of dollars in nrl talent and tens of millions of dollars in epl talent have played there in the last few weeks. Not one mention of concern from a single player or official about the playing surface. I guess you have stats to show the dogs and souths get more injuries than us? Your 'argument' is beyond a joke.

And if it was embarrassing then what do you call it when sections of the hill at LO have to be cordoned off because it was unsafe?

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 11:48 pm

Didn't know i needed stats to know the ground looked like crap today not the past few weeks and it sure didn't look like that during the Chelsea game. What's happened after, thats the problem.

Where new turf is laid there is always the risk where it joins and lips to original surface for players to get injured. The dogs and souths may not have a hospital ward full of players on crutches but it is a risk.

The SFS in recent years has copped the same treatment. It's been in shocking states due to it's extensive use.

I'll keep an eye out for booby traps next time i'm on the hill at LO.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 12:23 am

glebe_tiger wrote:Didn't know i needed stats to know the ground looked like crap today not the past few weeks and it sure didn't look like that during the Chelsea game. What's happened after, thats the problem.

Where new turf is laid there is always the risk where it joins and lips to original surface for players to get injured. The dogs and souths may not have a hospital ward full of players on crutches but it is a risk.

The SFS in recent years has copped the same treatment. It's been in shocking states due to it's extensive use.

I'll keep an eye out for booby traps next time i'm on the hill at LO.
So there's no evidence that players are more likely to get injured at ANZ than any other ground? You've made a great contribution to the discussion. Enjoy your next trip at LO.

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 3:42 am

Apologies it's not proven facts that you require but the history of ANZ's poor playing surface has been an issue before.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-pr ... ptt7m49xgt

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6119985246

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/patc ... 2pcdo.html

Not sure of the comparison of ANZ's playing surface to leichhardt oval's hill?!?!?

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 5:43 am

Angry Any, maybe cash flow is a major contributor to the debate?

Is the $100k ($600k) paid annually, or after each game? Annually would see real benefit to the clubs cash flow, even moreso if it is paid before the season or at the signing of the contract ($3M)

The numbers for games at CSS & LO could also be a cash flow scenario considering 1/2 those 12k attendees have paid up there memberships by February. The club would discard this as game day revenue from a trading perspective. (rightly or wrongly)

Cash Flow is everything when operating any business!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 8:27 am

Tell you what, anyone who will stop attending games because we don't play at LO or CSS anymore - pretty sad.

Post Reply