Positives

alexaki
Member
Member
Posts: 5042
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Positives

Unread post by alexaki » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 11:27 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:I know this thread is about positives BUT Don should have never been allowed to score that try.
It was the most disgraceful defense considering what was at stake for us.

If david kidwell doesnt address that then he should be punted
Titan scored 3 soft trys..disgraceful Defense


User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2120
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 11:34 am

stevetiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:I would seriously consider playing Cherrington now. His work around dummy half was impressive and probably better than what Robbie has shown this year. Move Farah to lock - he still gets to defend in the middle and can be another playmaker behind the ruck. Kapow can move back to the edges where he causes more damage and Farah can move in to dummy half when Cherrington needs a rest.
This is a good idea with regards to Cherrington and Robbie. Robbie seems to have lost his spark. I don't see him now as a great attacking hooker.

I'd keep Taupau though up the middle. He plays great there.
I'm not on the "everything is Taylor's fault" bandwagon, but I really do believe Farah is being asked to play a different role this year, presumably trying to get the halves to take more control.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1727
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 11:43 am

happy tiger wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:
Geo. wrote:Ok now for the game...watched it again

Lawrence was great in the back row...ran hard..tackled well and sat Dave Taylor one on one on his arse a couple of times....bagged a double...

Tedesco had his best attacking game in a while...looked dangerous in the opposition 20...scored a great TRY...

Moses is all heart.......did some really good things..the quick tap...earned our only repeat set...his passing was a lot better than it has been...the kid wants to win..

Cherrington was sharp on debut and should retain his spot whist ever Faff isn't there and even then should keep it as well..

Woods was massive as usual...

Taupau Sue and Ava need more minutes...we rolled upfield much better when these guys were on....

I honestly think this team needs a win and with that can go on a bit of a run...
Good effort to watch that again Geo. Did it get any better than the first time?
Geo is it just me but are we crabbing too much in the opposition red zone when we go wide , I don't have a problem wirh going sideways for a bit but Brooks or Moses has to straighten us and get the opposition thinking and not sliding

The golden rule is once a half gets on his opposition players shoulder is he straightens and commits the next defender and thus creates the overlap

Prince was brilliant at this and he had the timing to go with it
Happy, i was thinking the same thing during the game. Brooks is running sideways and not straightening up. This allows the defence to slide easily and takes room and time away from Tedesco and the outside backs. The out the back play to Tedesco is becoming very predictable.

As well as Brooks running more and straightening up the attack, we need our backrowers to run better inside lines. Lawrence got this right last night but the other side struggled to form a threat.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:04 pm

stevetiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:I would seriously consider playing Cherrington now. His work around dummy half was impressive and probably better than what Robbie has shown this year. Move Farah to lock - he still gets to defend in the middle and can be another playmaker behind the ruck. Kapow can move back to the edges where he causes more damage and Farah can move in to dummy half when Cherrington needs a rest.
This is a good idea with regards to Cherrington and Robbie. Robbie seems to have lost his spark. I don't see him now as a great attacking hooker.

I'd keep Taupau though up the middle. He plays great there.
You'd seriously replace our captain who is also the NSW hooker and captain with a kid who is only just out of U20s and had his first grade debut last night? Just how bad do you want things to get here? Well, I can only say that I'm glad you two aren't coaching us.

Another point which may or may not have anything to do with the above; given the ill considered tripe that gets written, I wonder how many school kids are on here? There is very little maturity shown with calls like SACK TAYLOR NOW or BLAME THE CEO, as well as interminable calls to sack players and buy super stars when we all should know that we don't have the salary cap or the money to do these things. We, as supporters, need to just get behind our club by supporting the inexperienced youngsters as well as our coach, all of whom are doing their best to give us wins but it's difficult for them, especially with carrying the supporters on their backs.

OK, I'm ready flame me!

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36253
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:08 pm

sideline eye wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
diedpretty wrote:I would seriously consider playing Cherrington now. His work around dummy half was impressive and probably better than what Robbie has shown this year. Move Farah to lock - he still gets to defend in the middle and can be another playmaker behind the ruck. Kapow can move back to the edges where he causes more damage and Farah can move in to dummy half when Cherrington needs a rest.
This is a good idea with regards to Cherrington and Robbie. Robbie seems to have lost his spark. I don't see him now as a great attacking hooker.

I'd keep Taupau though up the middle. He plays great there.
You'd seriously replace our captain who is also the NSW hooker and captain with a kid who is only just out of U20s and had his first grade debut last night? Just how bad do you want things to get here? Well, I can only say that I'm glad you two aren't coaching us.

Another point which may or may not have anything to do with the above; given the ill considered tripe that gets written, I wonder how many school kids are on here? There is very little maturity shown with calls like SACK TAYLOR NOW or BLAME THE CEO, as well as interminable calls to sack players and buy super stars when we all should know that we don't have the salary cap or the money to do these things. We, as supporters, need to just get behind our club by supporting the inexperienced youngsters as well as our coach, all of whom are doing their best to give us wins but it's difficult for them, especially with carrying the supporters on their backs.

OK, I'm ready flame me!
No flames here mate


User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:15 pm

The big positive for me was the mini come-back.

We ran hard with the ball and made big efforts to play the ball as quick as possible.

We looked pretty dangerous with the room created while on the front foot.

In defence we had good line speed and muscle and dominated the ruck.

Where has this been????

But as for the other 60-odd minutes... oh the pain, the pain!

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:31 pm

sideline eye wrote:You'd seriously replace our captain who is also the NSW hooker and captain with a kid who is only just out of U20s and had his first grade debut last night? Just how bad do you want things to get here? Well, I can only say that I'm glad you two aren't coaching us.
I think we need some more spark out there and there is no reason not to give Cherrington a run for some time during every game.

I didn't mean to sack Farah and play Cherrington.
sideline eye wrote:There is very little maturity shown with calls like SACK TAYLOR NOW or BLAME THE CEO!
I disagree with this. JT has been terrible and the calls to sack him make a lot of sense. I think at this point we have to keep him but its a bad situation to be in.

User avatar
Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 7937
Joined: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:58 pm
Location: Central Coast NSW

Unread post by Flippedy » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:33 pm

Geo. wrote:Ok now for the game...watched it again

Lawrence was great in the back row...ran hard..tackled well and sat Dave Taylor one on one on his arse a couple of times....bagged a double...

Tedesco had his best attacking game in a while...looked dangerous in the opposition 20...scored a great TRY...

Moses is all heart.......did some really good things..the quick tap...earned our only repeat set...his passing was a lot better than it has been...the kid wants to win..

Cherrington was sharp on debut and should retain his spot whist ever Faff isn't there and even then should keep it as well..

Woods was massive as usual...

Taupau Sue and Ava need more minutes...we rolled upfield much better when these guys were on....

I honestly think this team needs a win and with that can go on a bit of a run...
Pretty well spot on, Geo, but I don't know where the win that you speak of is going to come from. It must be just so disheartening for the boys to have so many promising attacking raids fall agonisingly short of the try line or last passes go astray all the time! I know it nearly kills me, so it has to be affecting their confidence a bit. And this was against the Titans also, who are not really known as a particularly good defensive team.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:52 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:I know this thread is about positives BUT Don should have never been allowed to score that try.
It was the most disgraceful defense considering what was at stake for us.

If david kidwell doesnt address that then he should be punted
That try was diabolical. At one point Brooks and Tedesco had Don against the touch line and he stepped inside both of them. What the hell is up with that?

User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 12:56 pm

diedpretty wrote:
sideline eye wrote:The second half is the way that they are being coached to play. When the team does this they are fairly formidable and will be even better when we get our full first grade side on the field, although the youngsters , I thought, were pretty good tonight. Cherrington is clearly up to first grade standard and I can see him rotating with Robbie from next year. Milone did a good job as a last minute replacement and the defence of our halves continues to improve with Moses defending James really well.

We didn't lose this game in the forwards, rather it was the left side defence in the first half. I see good things ahead and I'll be patient but I do expect finals football next year.

I would seriously consider playing Cherrington now. His work around dummy half was impressive and probably better than what Robbie has shown this year. Move Farah to lock - he still gets to defend in the middle and can be another playmaker behind the ruck. Kapow can move back to the edges where he causes more damage and Farah can move in to dummy half when Cherrington needs a rest.
The frightening thing with this assessment is that he's the best NSW has apparently, yet it's now suggested that a kid is possibly a better option at club level.

Mccarry
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:06 pm
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Mccarry » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 1:10 pm

Moses and Brooks are improving one on one in defence. Both made some very good one on one tackles.

Agree re Lawrence. Gee I would love to see him succeed. He is still one of my favourite players (but not at centre).

Well done for starting the positive thread. We will get better.... I hope

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 3:48 pm

wd in perth wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
sideline eye wrote:The second half is the way that they are being coached to play. When the team does this they are fairly formidable and will be even better when we get our full first grade side on the field, although the youngsters , I thought, were pretty good tonight. Cherrington is clearly up to first grade standard and I can see him rotating with Robbie from next year. Milone did a good job as a last minute replacement and the defence of our halves continues to improve with Moses defending James really well.

We didn't lose this game in the forwards, rather it was the left side defence in the first half. I see good things ahead and I'll be patient but I do expect finals football next year.

I would seriously consider playing Cherrington now. His work around dummy half was impressive and probably better than what Robbie has shown this year. Move Farah to lock - he still gets to defend in the middle and can be another playmaker behind the ruck. Kapow can move back to the edges where he causes more damage and Farah can move in to dummy half when Cherrington needs a rest.
The frightening thing with this assessment is that he's the best NSW has apparently, yet it's now suggested that a kid is possibly a better option at club level.

He may be the best that NSW has ( and even that is debatable on form this year ) but he sure aint doing it for the Tigers this year. As some have said he may be under instructions to allow the halves to take control but from what I have seen this year his dummy half play is nowhere near as crisp and direct as previous years. It does seem as though he is playing to a pattern rather than what he is seeing.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 13: Wests Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans”