How can we reproduce that?

Post Reply
Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

How can we reproduce that?

Post by Eddie » Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:55 pm

Every so often we put in a performance where you think, gee whiz, if they keep that up.....

From Minute 1 tonight we were back to running the ball with purpose. Our forwards dominated the middle of the field and we moved the ball really slickly on 3rd and 4th tackles. It was the perfect balanced performance between aggressive, positive attack and controlled and desperate defence.

Obviously having the 2 centres back made a huge difference on the edges. However tall started with the forwards. Thought Lovett had his best game by a long way and Tapou just destroyed them. Everyone seems fired up and even the try celebrations everyone was in there quick and jumping up and down.

Now the million dollar question how do you re produce that? Because on that peorformance you say well maybe the roster is not as bad as it seems. Is it all down to confidence, or mentality. We seem to struggle to put games together for years. Toniight everything taylor has been preaching looked like gospel. However at Brookvale next week we could be back to square 1.

However it was great to see them play some real football tonight. They ran Souths ragged out wide with some great ball play but it all started up front. We seem to have great aggression and energy today after going through the motions inexcusably for the last month.

Anyway well done to taylor and the team on a great win but all eyes are on next week to see if were moving forward.


tigerbalm
Member
Member
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun 19 Feb, 2012 7:32 pm

Post by tigerbalm » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:02 am

Are you new Eddie? ( jokes)

I think this is a question that could be asked from 2000.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1236
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:09 am

The missing ingredient is and has been the reason some of us wanted to give up on the team last week, at least I did.

It is not talent, coach, structure, attack or defence. It is aggression and competitiveness throughout the organisation. It takes time to turn a culture around, but let me say I'm so happy right now I don't think I'll sleep.

Bring the positive intent, to run hard, tackle hard, chase hard and the everything looks better.

User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 7967
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 12:23 am

Mate, I guess you can put it down to our inexperience. I imagine there isn't a side in the comp that's as inexperienced as ours and experience is the only way to find consistency. They don't have the robotic muscle memory and miles in the legs to know what to do in every situation.

To reproduce it, it's important that our experienced players show it by turning up week in and week out and being consistent and make sure they pick up the slack when our young guys blow it. Unfortunately we have less of those types than other sides (and quite frankly even our experienced players are inconsistent types).

Momentum helps though. If we belt the cellar dwellars next week it could give them some belief.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:00 am

Eddie wrote: Because on that performance you say well maybe the roster is not as bad as it seems. Is it all down to confidence, or mentality. .
There have been a few trying to say we have a poor roster.

Yes we have some plodders. Yes we need to offload a couple of players. Yes we need to buy a couple of Beau Scott, Steve Matai type of players to stiffen things up but the talent we have is good enough to win games.

Its up the coach and the players themselves to play to their ability,

Nothing more, nothing less and we would all be happy.


Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5169
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:03 am

That will be known in 7 days?

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41137
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:06 am

I was actually thinking to myself last night that didn't we back up after the Souths game last season and flog Manly or was there a game in between ??

It would be nice to be able to bottle that performance , but because of the inexperience in the squad they will still have good and bad days

Its hard to blame anyone bar previous management practices when you look at it honestly

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:33 am

How can we reproduce that? How can we not?

Farah and Woods should have been watching the game gleefully, champing at the bit to join in. We're full of confidence and playing the worst team in the comp. We should smash their forwards and win by 30.

(don't worry, I'm not deluded enough to put that bet on down the TAB)
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
Love the WestsTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 3223
Joined: Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Ex Ctown Resident Now Qlander

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:36 am

I think the confidence we got from a performance like that last night will surely help.

It was great to see the WHOLE team jump in for the celebration after each try.
That was enough incentive to play for each other and thats exactly what they did last night
Last edited by Love the WestsTigers on Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:36 am

happy tiger wrote: It would be nice to be able to bottle that performance , but because of the inexperience in the squad they will still have good and bad days
I dont buy that, yes we are inexperienced and the halves will have good and bad moments but last night win was about the forwards playing with enthusiasm.

Youth should bring enthusiasm.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41137
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:42 am

Tiger In The Gong wrote:
happy tiger wrote: It would be nice to be able to bottle that performance , but because of the inexperience in the squad they will still have good and bad days
I dont buy that, yes we are inexperienced and the halves will have good and bad moments but last night win was about the forwards playing with enthusiasm.

Youth should bring enthusiasm.
As long as it is controlled enthusiasm and aggression

That is probably the hardest part at times for Taylor is getting these young guys to recognise when is a good time and when isn't a good time in every aspect of their games

They can only learn that from their wins and their losses both on the scoreboard and play to play

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 8:48 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tiger In The Gong wrote:
happy tiger wrote: It would be nice to be able to bottle that performance , but because of the inexperience in the squad they will still have good and bad days
I dont buy that, yes we are inexperienced and the halves will have good and bad moments but last night win was about the forwards playing with enthusiasm.

Youth should bring enthusiasm.
As long as it is controlled enthusiasm and aggression

That is probably the hardest part at times for Taylor is getting these young guys to recognise when is a good time and when isn't a good time in every aspect of their games

They can only learn that from their wins and their losses both on the scoreboard and play to play

Taylors job is to make sure they play with focus and a consistent level of commitment. We kind of agree lol

Do think we under play the senior players in the team though. Farah, Woods, Taupau, Halatau and Lawrence are all Australian or Kiwi internationals!

It is much there job to take control of the team and guide and teach the young players as it is the coach.

shane2801
Member
Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed 18 May, 2011 8:05 pm

Post by shane2801 » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 9:13 am

Eddie, you have saved me a bit of time as I was about to post a similar thread. For myself I am at a loss as to what to think. Surely mentality come into play. Hopefully last night may bring confidence going forward. It was was very obvious after watching last night that having a good centre pairing goes a long way also.

Sure Souths were under strength but I'm not so sure it would have made a difference. While Jonathon Thurston is the best player in the NRL surely the most improved in the NRL has to be Taupau? Our forwards stood up last night and our backs capitalised.

Last night reminded me of the first couple of rounds this year. Hopefully we won't clock off again this year.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2592
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD

Post by cqtiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 9:39 am

As with most, I am glowing with pride about last night's performance. It is still tempered with the lingering memory of the very poor performances over the previous month.

This feeling today is what all supporters live for.

Now, as per the title, how can we keep repeating this type of performance?

Every year we have exceptional performances. Every single year.
Both teams were under strength. Souths will definitely improve. Can we?

If we play poorly again over the next month, then last night's performance means very little. Every good team will tell you that the real challenge is to perform at that level week after week.

The best part of last night's game for me was Brooks willingness to run the ball.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7157
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 9:45 am

Teams like ours can get up and play out of their skins say three times a year, but they also do the direct opposite about 10 times a year and that is why they are where they are at. That is what harden experienced 1st graders do, play a lot more good games than bad and the difference between a good game and a bad game for them is only a small gap.

The good thing as this teams gains experience,their will be a lot more good games, but I would expect you will not see this till 2017

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5154
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 10:50 am

We can and we won't.

We are not a seasoned team like Souffs, Dogs, Storm etc. so we do not have the consistency of those teams. There are those that say "you have done it once, you can do it again." The answer is - they will! but not every week and that is the inexperience that will come through. They are working on it and hopefully the forwards will keep going forward and allowing the halves the time and space to be able to set up the centres, wingers and Teddy.

We have seen enough in attack - Canterbury game, Canberra game and again last night to be convinced that we can do it. We still need to improve our defense to ensure the low points against us and help us to grind away when things are not going our way however. I'm confident enough to give them the time they need.

Having said all that - after the "Diamonds" performance last night, let's not slash our wrists if it's a "rocks" game next week.

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:51 am

While it is undeniable that we have a lot of young players, I am not so sure that their 'experience' alone is the problem. Unfortunately our past is full of examples when we had 'experienced' players e.g Reddy, Lailua, Lawrence, Marshall, Farah, Moltzen etc. and we still suffered from similar issues e,g. we often managed to lose unlosable games. IMHO the issue is our mental stability and inability to play under pressure, just recently we have seen brain explosions like short kick on 3rd tackle, forced passes when they are not needed, and field goal (1st SOO) from one of the most experienced player in NRL :(
If everything clicks we are world beaters, but sometimes even then we somehow try to find how to lose :(

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7157
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:54 pm

Even last night, although it did not come back to bite us on the b.m inexperience cost us points, Brooks kicks out on the full and Souths score from the next set, Cherrington and Ava stuff up a certain meat pie and like last week Moses puts a nothing little chip kick on the last that Souths nearly got into the clear on their kick return,you could also put Nofo's dropped ball down to inexperience.

Most days we do not have the luxury of being well in front to make up for our kids mistakes, but as I said before they will get better with every match

Post Reply