Brooks stars in Tigers' upset NRL win

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 3:13 am

Steve Zemek
22:50 AEST Fri Jun 12 2015

Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks has silenced a few of his doubters by leading his side to an upset 34-6 NRL win over South Sydney at ANZ Stadium. With the Tigers missing their NSW State of Origin stars Robbie Farah and Aaron Woods, Brooks stepped up on Friday night, scoring a scintillating solo try and setting up another to ease the pressure on coach Jason Taylor.

After winning just two of their previous 10 matches and losing their last four, questions were being asked about the club's young halves combination of Brooks and Mitchell Moses. However, they rebounded in a big way against the premiers.

Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds made his comeback from a broken thumb but his side - missing Greg Inglis (Origin) and Issac Luke (knee) - were badly beaten in the middle of the field.

Taylor said his side had drawn a line in the sand after four straight losses and it was the kind of win they could build on in the second half of the season. "I think the guys got to the point tonight where they had just had enough," he said. "We were close in the last couple of weeks but we'd just had enough. "The energy in the warm up was different, there was another level of intensity, we realised that's where we needed to get to."

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 5:18 am

He was great.

palms

Post by palms » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 7:21 am

Besides that kick out on the full and a hospital ball to Lawrence, I thought he played really well. Gave some nice early ball to the backs, directed his forwards around , and forced a few errors with his kicks. It's no coincidence that we play our best footy when Moses and Brooks link up the old fashioned way instead of playing left and right.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 7:32 am

Thought Moses was just as good if not better, Brooks was good but he didn't 'star' in my opinion. Nofo 'starred'

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 7:46 am

It's amazing what happens when the forwards turn up and play isn't it.

Last night was a team performance and everyone contributed to the win

Well done kids for keeping your heads up, sticking to it and coming out and giving it a real crack

Now to back it up next week!!!

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:12 pm

palms wrote:Besides that kick out on the full and a hospital ball to Lawrence, I thought he played really well. Gave some nice early ball to the backs, directed his forwards around , and forced a few errors with his kicks. It's no coincidence that we play our best footy when Moses and Brooks link up the old fashioned way instead of playing left and right.
Watch the replay. When the defender is Reynolds it just can't be called a hospital pass

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:30 pm

TIGER wrote:Thought Moses was just as good if not better, Brooks was good but he didn't 'star' in my opinion. Nofo 'starred'
it was honestly a real team effort, maty MoM, tele saying brooks starring, smh saying teddy starring and i personally think lawrence and ava were 2 of the best out there.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:43 pm

Something tells me they were given a little more free rein , by the way we played are more attacking game .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:42 pm

Newtown wrote:"I think the guys got to the point tonight where they had just had enough," he said. "We were close in the last couple of weeks but we'd just had enough. "The energy in the warm up was different, there was another level of intensity, we realised that's where we needed to get to."
What exactly does he mean here? Surely they practised all week to play like that? He sounded surprised that they all turned up ready to have a crack.

Maybe they did go "off script" ;)

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 4:56 am

Mccarry wrote:
palms wrote:Besides that kick out on the full and a hospital ball to Lawrence, I thought he played really well. Gave some nice early ball to the backs, directed his forwards around , and forced a few errors with his kicks. It's no coincidence that we play our best footy when Moses and Brooks link up the old fashioned way instead of playing left and right.
Watch the replay. When the defender is Reynolds it just can't be called a hospital pass

Was still a crap pass.
Other than that he had a very good game, but Tapau and Teddy were the stars , by a mile

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 8:59 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mccarry wrote:

Was still a crap pass.
Other than that he had a very good game, but Tapau and Teddy were the stars , by a mile
Agree GT - Tapau and Teddy by a mile as you say.
HM for Rowdy, Ave and Moses among some very good performances.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 1:28 pm

Mccarry wrote:

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, the ball should have gone to Tedesco.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 4:07 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote: Other than that he had a very good game, but Tapau and Teddy were the stars , by a mile
i agree. i was surprised that brooks got the headline there tbh. in any case, hopefully it gives him a boost. loved his try - he looks like an Oompa Loompa when he runs but is deceptively fast!

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 8:18 pm

I can't believe how confident brooks is. he really doesn't back down which is pretty amazing for his age.

He started the scuffle in the 61 minute by pushing McQueen for no reason than Tyrrell pushed him over and brooks got straight back up ran at tyrrell and pushed him back. Haha

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:18 pm

Russell wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mccarry wrote:

Was still a crap pass.
Agree GT - Tapau and Teddy by a mile as you say.
HM for Rowdy, Ave and Moses among some very good performances.
I hope to hell that they all can repeat it against Manly, it'd be nice to put another nail in their coffin

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:51 pm

littletiger wrote:I can't believe how confident brooks is. he really doesn't back down which is pretty amazing for his age.

He started the scuffle in the 61 minute by pushing McQueen for no reason than Tyrrell pushed him over and brooks got straight back up ran at tyrrell and pushed him back. Haha
yeh, its things like that where you cant help but think "he he... good onya brooksy!" :lol:

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:57 pm

Mighty Tiger wrote:It's amazing what happens when the forwards turn up and play isn't it.

Last night was a team performance and everyone contributed to the win

Well done kids for keeping your heads up, sticking to it and coming out and giving it a real crack

Now to back it up next week!!!

So true MT... :)

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 11:06 pm

Brooks is a very humble young man who is actually quite shy,,,he did not ask for the comparisons thrust upon him by media and fans...the way he conducts himself is a credit to him,,,

His interview after the game on Friday was great,,,deflecting the praise of himself and onto the team....he will only get better,,
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..