Ray Warren

innsaneink

Re: Ray Warren

Post by innsaneink » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:01 am

He was rested for Origin on Wednesday night.
Plenty more comms I like better. Smith. Voss. The gut The other night was good.
Not many worse than rabs but Tim Gilbert just don't cut it...he's terrible

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:04 am

The statue at Junee would be a better commentator than the real Warren.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:21 am

spearby wrote:by gee the people on this forum would boo santa have some respect for rabs he is a champion
I agree,i enjoy his calls and the banter with Gould but i have noticed he's starting to make mistakes,must be close to calling it a day.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:25 am

spearby wrote:by gee the people on this forum would boo santa have some respect for rabs he is a champion
He's no champion...he's just a commentator.
Speaking of respect...you should respect others right to voice an opinion

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:33 am

I don't think anyone is doubting that Warren has been a great commentator in the past - he is just not up to scratch these days - his constant babbling about which suburb is to the north of the ground while someone is racing downfield drives me insane.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:43 am

Rabs is still good. Should not be in the box with Gould - he is always just trying to rev Rabs up.
Better to get rid of Gould.
Having said that - much prefer (when the time comes) the guy who called the Souffs game to Smith (he just seems to shout all the time).

One step further - too many pop ups and plugging of coming shows on nine - this is the program directors fault. I am also tired of the camera pointing to reserve bench etc. instead of being on the game. As for "Spidercam" - worst thing to ever happen - just need more wider shots so we can see Souffs offside all the time.

Rant over - apologies.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:55 am

Respect him? A footy commentator? What has he done to earn my respect???

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 1:15 pm

He's an old goat (and I'm no spring chicken).
It was embarrassing listening to him lecture Johns (and get cranky) about the Jesse Sue tackle in our game against the Titans last week - basically telling Johns he knew better than him. :roll:
Johns had to bite his lip :lol:
He seems to get his knickers in a knot over something every week......

RETIRE

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 1:41 pm

My honest opinion, is that Frank HYDE, has been the best ever footy commentator .
The others are a distant second and can sort it out amongst themselves.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 2:00 pm

cktiger wrote:He's an old goat (and I'm no spring chicken).
It was embarrassing listening to him lecture Johns (and get cranky) about the Jesse Sue tackle in our game against the Titans last week - basically telling Johns he knew better than him. :roll:
Johns had to bite his lip :lol:
He seems to get his knickers in a knot over something every week......

RETIRE
Lol CK, i agree. :lol:
He's very biased... I don't think he likes us very much either. :x

TigersBra

Post by TigersBra » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 2:11 pm

It's so annoying the way he pronounces Widdop!!!!! Thank god I have Foxtel and can listen to Vossy....

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
"In Mick We Trust"

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:44 pm

Tiger In The Gong wrote:How good was it that Ray Warren wasnt calling the game last night.
:lol: i thought the exact same thing at the start of the game, and actually did far prefer mat thompson. dont think i have heard him before, but thought he was really good.
how about The Nine Network televise games on the HD channel (GEM). its noticeably better on even a small (32inch) 1080p full HD panel.
thats interesting because here in perth it is on GEM. its HD, so no issue there for me; it is just 9s overall coverage i think is inferior to foxtels. apart from ray warren rambling about whatever crap and acting like an old woman, the foxtel commentators are much better and i find that 9 will do really annoying things like show someone on the bench or have a replay take up the screen when there is live stuff going on i want to see:

how did the ball get there?! oh, it must have been a quick tap from the penalty while we were looking at george burgess on the bench...or is it tom? :roll:

as for the Richie comparisons, to me it seems as though 9 is riding on the coat tails of his legacy and just keeping Warren around so they can have him as their "Richie of League" type character, but he just doesnt have the same distinguished persona Richie had that made him likeable.

one thing that i really cant stand about Ray Warren commenting is when the storm or qld is playing he just loves to call Smith "Cameron" as if he is his son in law or something.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:47 pm

diedpretty wrote:I don't think anyone is doubting that Warren has been a great commentator in the past - he is just not up to scratch these days - his constant babbling about which suburb is to the north of the ground while someone is racing downfield drives me insane.
lol...yep, he and gus will go on about that and im in WA and wouldnt have a clue, nor could i care less!!!
"wow, that ball ended up in [INSERT SOME SYDNEY SUBURB IVE NEVER HEARD OF HERE]...!" :lol:

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:51 pm

Tiger In The Gong wrote:How good was it that Ray Warren wasnt calling the game last night.

The guy is an old moaner. Not sure whay he missed the game but wouldnt be surprised if he called in sick rather than call another one of our games.

The new guy had this amazing ability to get all our players names right.

The new guy had this amazing ability to make the game sound interesting.

The new guy had this amazing ability to get excited about players other than the elite in the game.

A change in long overdue.

I have a bit of a soft spot for old Ray, as I met him several times many moons ago when he and Graham McNiece were doing sports at channel 10 - he was a top bloke then, but this was before he became 'famous' as the voice of Rugby League. I have no idea what he's like as a person these days, but I have to agree with you TITG, I think a change in the commentary box is long overdue.

The new bloke was a breath of fresh air, who managed to do all that you listed above and his presence even affected Gould for the better. Without his sparring partner there, Gould actually focused on what was happening on the field for once instead of carrying on with this usual mindless banter. That's the one thing that annoys me most when he and Ray crap on about nothing for sometimes up to 5 minutes at a time. Meanwhile the play goes on and they ignore it completely because they're too busy trying to out-do each other - it's really tiresome, so I'd be happy if I never had to listen to that ever again.
Last edited by Flippedy on Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 3:53 pm

im a big fan of new camera angles

the goal post cam was quite good
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:25 pm

Russell, society tells us if you have a lot of money, appear on tv or magazines a lot, are a politician, a leader of some sort, a celebrity, you command respect.
Sorry I don't see it that way. Respect is a precious gift and i don't give it freely. I'am careful with giving my respect.
Those who receive my precious gift earn it.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:29 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:Im in shock that a lot of people DONT like Ray Warren.

IMO he is the voice of NRL, will be a sad loss when he no longer calls the games.

On the other hand i MUTE the TV when Ray Hadley is calling the game

Hadley is a complete pain to listen to, but imo Rabs has stayed two or three years too long.
He's lost it I'm afraid.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:32 pm

razor7 wrote:Let's hope so Glebe. I'm over his cliche ridden, favourites based calling. Yeah it was better last night and not just because we won
He spends much of his time in sucking up to selected players for example Inglis .