Souths Game - Our Goal

Tony33

Souths Game - Our Goal

Post by Tony33 » Sat 13 Jun, 2015 11:34 am

Last nights game was the near perfect game from our boys.

Dominant through the forwards and slick through the backs.

Our kicking game as always still needs improving but it was an awesome style of footy, both in defence and attack.

This is the type of performance our squad will put together consistently if the experts are right and our squad matures to their potential in a year or two.

We've put two and half of these performances in so far this season (Bulldogs, Souths, Canberra first half) and gee its an exciting style. Consistency has been our problem, but when it works it looks so damn good.

When our squad develop into genuine first graders, we should be able to produce that type of performance at least 15 times a season. Consistency shouldn't be an issue and we should be able to beat any team in the comp.

I'm hopeful and very excited off the back of last nights performance :sign:
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 9:57 am

A long way from perfect but a million% improvement on where we've been....maybe exaggerating a bit there.
The defense is still paper thin at times...South try and moses constantly swatted away..rowdy too once or twice and a few other...very weak misses not normal mistakes.
kicking game while it's under instructions still needa work. We need to start applying pressure some time soon...tthough I do now understand the reasoning behind the bombs landing in the 20m zone and not on the tryline

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:10 am

innsaneink wrote:A long way from perfect but a million% improvement on where we've been....maybe exaggerating a bit there.
The defense is still paper thin at times...South try and moses constantly swatted away..rowdy too once or twice and a few other...very weak misses not normal mistakes.
kicking game while it's under instructions still needa work. We need to start applying pressure some time soon...tthough I do now understand the reasoning behind the bombs landing in the 20m zone and not on the tryline
Spot on - I mentioned in another thread that the kicking game seems to be all about hang time and getting our defensive line set rather than putting direct pressure on the back three. Friday night was the perfect example - although Johnston usually had about 10 - 15 mtrs of space he was always met with a straight line right across the park.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:24 am

diedpretty wrote:
innsaneink wrote:A long way from perfect but a million% improvement on where we've been....maybe exaggerating a bit there.
Spot on - I mentioned in another thread that the kicking game seems to be all about hang time and getting our defensive line set rather than putting direct pressure on the back three. Friday night was the perfect example - although Johnston usually had about 10 - 15 mtrs of space he was always met with a straight line right across the park.
Works well. "Taylorball" when properly executed.

Kick to hard and ball goes over the dead ball line. 20m restart with 7 tackles.
Bit shorter - caught in the in goal - 20m. restart.

Kick just right (high enough) - caught around 10 - 20m out gives us time to set a straight line defense. Wouldn't have mattered if it was Inglis instead of Johnson -same result.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:39 am

Russell wrote:
diedpretty wrote:

Kick just right (high enough) - caught around 10 - 20m out gives us time to set a straight line defense. Wouldn't have mattered if it was Inglis instead of Johnson -same result.
Whens your next coaching clinic Russ,can I come too...good to see things going to plan with Taylor ball,although we finally witnessed a much more exciting version....could see the fans coming back in droves....well done JT...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 1:59 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Russell wrote:
diedpretty wrote:

Whens your next coaching clinic Russ,can I come too...good to see things going to plan with Taylor ball,although we finally witnessed a much more exciting version....could see the fans coming back in droves....well done JT...
Lucky to coach myself to get off the lounge these days TT.

Just saying how it is such a fine - get it wrong and you can end up like we have over the past few weeks and last week we got it right. It was good to have the forwards making ground so that when the kick happened we were in reasonable field position rather than have them take the 30-40m out. It was an exciting game and good to see in the second half when our forwards were not dominating as much we got into a grind until the momentum came back to us. Have not done that for years if ever. As they get better - we will continue to see a new and improved "Taylorball" as each game plan is reached. Will still take time though TT - in the meantime we will probably need more patience ("Patients") than Westmead hospital. Echo your thoughts TT - Well done JT.